Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody know what kind of critter this is?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody know what kind of critter this is?

These little bugs have all the sudden been flying around everywhere, which is rare because I have not ever seen them before. The kicker is that they are all flying around in pairs as if they are mating. So my initial thought was that maybe the "love bugs" that are common closer to the Gulf, and especially in Florida, had migrated here to South TX. Well I did some research and it appears these aren't love bugs.

Any arthropod guru's in here?

Definately not an expert, they aren't love bugs but appear to be a member of the beetle group.

Comment

I agree, some kind of beetle.

http://bugguide.net/node/view/60/bgimage?from=384

'87 Camaro - 2.8L MPFI, 700R4 swapped to T5, B&M Ripper Shifter, Dynomax Super Turbo muffler, CATCO high flow cat, K&N air filters, 180 degree thermostat w/200-180 fan switch, 3.42 rear end, Global West steering brace, polyurethane bushings/trans mount, Spohn adjustable torque arm.
      '88 Formula (stolen), '96 Camaro RS, (sold), '91 Firebird (sold),
      Bruce, μολων λαβέ

Comment

Looks like maybe a Green June Beetle?

http://home.att.net/~larvalbugrex/greenbug.html

These things act as if they are flying around drunk! It is the funniest thing. They are very poor pilots. They are loud too. They sound like miniature helicopters.

They are digging holes in my yard as well......not cool. They may have to go.

BTW, that mini-screwdriver that I stuck him with didn't even phase him. He flew off as soon as I pulled it out!

Comment

Originally posted by fastTA
          BTW, that mini-screwdriver that I stuck him with didn't even phase him. He flew off as soon as I pulled it out!
          You mean dude didn't die? That's crazy...I hate bugs.

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
          Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
          B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
          Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
          Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

They look similar to what we call June bugs here. Allthough they come out in the evening and are brown. Bad pilots also.
            97 Trans Am A4 more or less stock (Mods: WS6 Ram Air with Fernco & K&N, 12 disc CD changer, power antenna, SLP Fan Switch, LS1 Aluminum DS, Borla Cat back, McCord power plate, Spohn tower brace, Sirius, HID fog lights)

1and1 Web Hosting

Comment

+1 .
              Greg W. in West Michigan
              1992 Formula WS6-A/R Rims, Stock L05 swap, Former Abuse Victim
              1983 Z28-Parts car- *Sold*
              1984 Z28-305 HO Auto *Sold*
              1986 Camaro-V-6 5Spd *Sold*
              1984 Camaro-V-6 Auto *Sold*
              <Motor out

Comment

Originally posted by Black97
                They look similar to what we call June bugs here. Allthough they come out in the evening and are brown. Bad pilots also.
                We have the little brown June bugs here as well in the summer. They also bring the bats out in such numbers, that you can see the bats on the weather rader. Lots of bat caves here in TX.

This is the first time I've see these green ones though. I wonder if it has something to do with the outbreak of American snout butterflies this summer that we get every 8-10 years, or if the same conditions that make it possible for the American Snout to thrive make it also possible for these green June beetles to thrive.

Between these 2 June bugs, cicadas, mosquitos, crickets, yellow jackets, red wasps, American Snout butterflies, and horseflies, it's an insect warzone here. Maybe they are terrorists.

Comment

That one with the javelin through his back is going to let out a bunch of ultrasonic squeals which will reach his bazillions of siblings out eating sand mites and those things are going to descend on you and yours like Oprah on a baked ham. You better duck for cover and stock up on beer mate, you're in for a swarmin' bad time that 'll make a category 5 look like a picnic.

I dunno, maybe I shouldn't drink & post. Havin a lot of funny thoughts about that cute cashier at the grocery store that always says ' Have a nice day' after my day has already been hell. she needs love is all. kev out.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin - Blown 95 TA
                    That one with the javelin through his back is going to let out a bunch of ultrasonic squeals which will reach his bazillions of siblings out eating sand mites and those things are going to descend on you and yours like Oprah on a baked ham. You better duck for cover and stock up on beer mate, you're in for a swarmin' bad time that 'll make a category 5 look like a picnic.

I dunno, maybe I shouldn't drink & post. Havin a lot of funny thoughts about that cute cashier at the grocery store that always says ' Have a nice day' after my day has already been hell. she needs love is all. kev out.
                    I just got back from Home Depot with the biggest jug of terrorist killer they had. It's on. Oh yeah, I bought some cold beer too. So, I am going walking around the whole yard with a coldie in one hand, another in my pocket, and the terrorist killer in the other. While typing this I just realized I have no life......

Grocery store chicks rock! They should have a coupon for them.

Comment

Originally posted by fastTA
                      I just got back from Home Depot with the biggest jug of terrorist killer they had. It's on. Oh yeah, I bought some cold beer too. So, I am going walking around the whole yard with a coldie in one hand, another in my pocket, and the terrorist killer in the other. While typing this I just realized I have no life......

Grocery store chicks rock! They should have a coupon for them.
                      Yeah but someone makes them be nice to us. It's all part of a cruel hoax to make us want to buy more frozen pizzas & beer and feel crappy that our day has really been crap. I thnk this little one is really sincere, though. Next time, Im going to hang out and see if she talks to all the guys like that. I mean, the way she eyeballs my booze selection she practically is drooling for a drink. Maybe she smokes cigarretts too, that's the kind you want if you're only going to get one date

Comment

I don't know what that is, sorry. But I can tell you this, catching bugs that size, and obviously that tough, at 80 MPH head on with a motorcycle helmet is LOUD! Crap like that is the third reason I wear a full face helmet (#1 being want to keep my face attached if I wreck and #2 being keeps the rain from pelting my face).
                        "No, officer, that bottle is my onboard Halon system"

Comment

Back in Switzerland where I grew up we had May bugs. They are about 2 - 3 times as big as the critters over here. They come out in the evening and like to eat the leaves off certain trees. We used to beat them down with badmington or tennis rackets and them kill them.

http://static.flickr.com/55/140242298_52b9332b13.jpg

My parents as kids used to catch them and get money from the forest owners since they were like a plague. So they got a couple of cents per pound of bugs back then.
                          97 Trans Am A4 more or less stock (Mods: WS6 Ram Air with Fernco & K&N, 12 disc CD changer, power antenna, SLP Fan Switch, LS1 Aluminum DS, Borla Cat back, McCord power plate, Spohn tower brace, Sirius, HID fog lights)

1and1 Web Hosting

Comment

We have a pretty good Japanese Beetle outbreak up here. We get them every year, but as Kevin was eluding to, there are cyclical bad years. This seems to be one of them. Those little #@%&*^$ hurt when they bite.
                            SOLD: 2002 Trans Am WS.6 - Black on Black - 6 Speed
                            SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
                            17K Miles

2005 Acura TL - Silver on Black
                            Navigation - Surround Audio - Bluetooth

Comment

Kev: The ones that get me are the bank teller girls. They are like robots. They take your paycheck, apply it to your negative balance, and then say to you with a big fake friggin smile and that fake sweet voice..."Have a nice day!"

MN6: I know what you mean. I only had my first ZX-12R for a few weeks. That weekend I took it out past out local Municipal airport just down the road. There is a 3-4 mile stretch of perfectly flat newly paved road that has no driveways or interesections whatsoever. Just road and field....the perfect place to fly. Well I cracked it open, hit 3rd no later than to smack a huge bug on my face shield. I have no idea what it was, because the bug was obliterated and the guts went everywhere. I had to flip up my shield and pull over to clean the mess. That would have left a mark if I wasn't wearing my helmet.

Black: That is an interesting little bug. Looks like he has as much hair on his back as Rosanne Arnold.

Greg: I've seen those Jap beetles. They look like they could leave a mark. The one I wouldn't want to tangle with is that Hercules beetle.

Him and I wouldn't get along :

Comment

Working...
                              X