got pulled over, whats gonna happen??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• got pulled over, whats gonna happen??

was on my way to work tonight, got pulled over doing 107 on my motorcycle. I was on the on-ramp, going about 75, person in the far right lane was doing probably 85-90, so I got on it to get ahead of him, after that, I moved over to the fast lane and let off, slowed to about 80 and cruised. I don't remember going over 107, I figured I probably hit about 95 or so when I passed this person.

So the cop asks how fast I was going, and I was honest. I looked him in the eye and said "Probably a little under 85."

He said I was going 107. And he wrote me up for every last mile over, so whatre they gonna do? Ticket says $240 and 4 points. Then it has another (4) to the right, not sure what that is for.

I'm assuming they're going to make me take a safety course for like 100, then pay double the ticket price to keep the points. I hope that's what they do anyway. I'm not going to lose my license or anything will I?
    97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

01 Honda CBR600 F4i-Two bro's,Corbins,SS brake lines

What was the speed limit?

Assuming 65, that's 42 over, it's a miracle he didn't arrest you and impound the bike. I would consider myself lucky and be thankful that's all you got. If they let you go to driving school, take it. Explain to the judge the circumstances so he doesn't think you were going that fast for a long period of time.

That is mighty ****headed of the cop to do that though, because 95% of sportbikers don't stop at all. The prudent thing to do would have been to scold you for like 5 minutes (like the last time I got pulled over for speeding on a bike back in '95) and let you go. He probably had either a biker run from him in the last couple of days or had one of those people who, after they get a ticket, cuss the cop out like a dog because they know they can get away with it as long as they don't threaten him. You were in the wrong, but the cop should have handled it differently.

BTW, I would have done exactly what you did, stopped and taken my punishment like a man. There's only one other guy I know in all of Mobile and Baldwin county on a sportbike who would do that, because everybody else runs. Of course, I have a furred sportbike and half the police force knows me because of all the charity rides I participate in, so it's not like it would be real difficult to locate me if I did decide to run!
    "No, officer, that bottle is my onboard Halon system"

Comment

The limit was 70. I was going 37 over. Honestly man, if I DID in fact hit 107, it wasn't for more than 3 seconds, just enough to get over into the fast lane, then I let off and slowed to 80-85, rested my arm on the tank, leaned forward and just cruised. He must have got me at the perfect time I guess.

I ride this way to work everyday, and I've never been stopped. I do the same speed everytime, between 80 and 85, I'm in no rush, I had 25 minutes to get there. I always get to work 10 minutes early. I was in no rush.

The a-hole in the Pacifica or whatever it was... If he hadn't sped up to try to keep me from merging in front of him, I'd have been fine... Or I should have just slowed down, but I never do that, plus I was on the bike, so I knew how easy itd be to just gun it and get over. I was in like 3rd gear still cause I was just getting on, so to go from about 75 up to 100 takes about 2 seconds, so I decided to accelerate instead of brake.

It'd be nice to know someone in that department right about now.
      97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

Comment

Ouch man. That’s rough..

I was doing 93 in a 55... I HAD to appear in court. I then asked the judge for court supervision. He basically asked what the hell I was doing driving that fast. I didn't have a good excuse like you, so he made me pay the fine and take the insurance hit. If I would've got court supervision, I would have paid more, but the ticket would not go on my permanent record, therefore not affecting my insurance. I would try and ask for the court supervision as long as the system is the same there as it is in Illinois.

Good Luck.

2005 GTO, Quicksilver, 6-Speed, DynaTech LT's and thats it. 366.6 hp/366.7 tq last time I checked.
        Sold-1995 Dark GreenTrans Am, Auto 63K. BBK Headers/off-road y-pipe/Hooker Exhaust/LPI CAI/Hypertech...need some money!!!

Comment

in VA now, over 90 is straight to jail and impoundment of the vehicle.

u n a heap 0 trouble boy.........

look up the state driving stuff on the net, you might find something...

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
          Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
          sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

Originally posted by wolfman
            in VA now, over 90 is straight to jail and impoundment of the vehicle.
            That would be a fair number of folks on the D.C. beltway at this very moment!

I'll have to remember that myself. Sometimes that speedo can get away from you when merging. I try to keep it below 20 over at all times here anyway. I believe that can be considered reckless driving in VA.
            Joe K.
            '11 BMW 328i
            '10 Matrix S AWD
            Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

Yeah it sucks. I'll have to call in a couple weeks to set up a court date. It just sucks because I'm a young male on a crotch rocket trying to plead my case. No judge will buy anything that I say.

Hopefully they just let me pay my way out of this. I can't afford the points. I can just see the z28 insurance doubling.

Comment

I was in my parents R/T last month at college. It was midnight, and I needed supplies at walmart for a presentation. I was at a 4 way, the street on the right AND left were closed...so I came to a "California" style stop (like 2-3 miles an hour) and kept on going. Next thing I know there are flashing lights everywhere. The campus cop was a D**K, saying there were three marked cars and a cop on a bike where I did it and he said If I fought it I would lose. So I took the 3 points and the 107 dollar ticket for "Not coming to a complete stop"

2002 Firehawk Sold

Comment

white devil, you can always fight it. They don't care about putting points on your record, they care about your money. They'll waive the points, they just want you to pay more in return. I have learned that since I began driving. It's all about money. And no matter what a cop says, if you go to court, and tell them you're sorry, you're willing to pay whatever you have to, you just don't want the points on your record, they'll do it. Say it's 95, they'll say 140 and an online drivers safety course for 75. That happened to me when I did a no turn on red. Cost me over 200 for a 95 dollar ticket but it saved me the points.

I wish there was a way to fight the system. The only way to do it, is everybody just drive perfect. If nobody sped, rolled signs, etc... it'd be a slow paced road, but thats how you fight this f'd up system and win. After a year they'd be out of business. Because that's what they are, a business. It'd be nice to see how they liked it if everybody drove the way they make you.

Comment

After about a week for my full leathers, I finally took my ZX-12R out on a very quiet stretch of I-10. Well I am not going to say how fast I was going, but I was in 6th gear WOT. After slowing down back below warp speed, I noticed some red and blues coming up fast from way back there. I could have easily run, but I just chose to take it like a man. It's not to hard to spot bright candy apple green 12R's either.

It was a DPS trooper. I took my helmet off and got off the bike. After showing him my license and insurance he started the lecture. Just like MN6 said, he actually was pretty cool about it, and he just said he didn't want to be the one to have to scrape me off the road on his shift! ....then he let me go.

I think just being dead honest helps a lot....and I always say something to make the cop to laugh. If you can get the cop to laugh it changes everything.........usually.

Comment

My Girlfriend once got cought going 70kph over the speed limit (a few years ago when she said she was more foolish...but I have seen her drive now... )

She got a summons to court, she phoned either points or x-coppers and they showed up for her in court and she got off with alot less then if she went at it alone. For your situation it may be worth spending some money with them and getting alot less of a fine and punishment with the courts. In the end she saved lot of cash total over what the ticket would have been and didn't get many points off.
                      94 Formula Firebird, 355, heads port and polished, cc503 cam, 30# injectors, PCMforless Tune, B&M 2400 stall, K&N CAI, BBK Sorty Headers, Magnaflow Highflow Cat, Borla Catback exhaust with electronic cutout.

Comment

I once was on a long straight stretch of road with only one side road that you could see from a mile out so I decided to stretch the Caprice's legs... I got her up to "max" speed and cruised for a lil while then I could see a car on that one side road...I started slowing down to around the speed limit (55) so that by the time i would get to the car I would be doing normal speed. Too late, it was a county cruiser... He pulls me over immediately and gave me the lecture (although he didnt get me at my full speed, 107 he says ). He wrote me for 70 in a 55 and told me that if I fought it I would probably get out off paying it... I didn't fight it. I figured it could have been worse, plus he knew a good friend of mine who happens to be the local cop where I live work and play... I didn't really want them talking.
                        Greg W. in West Michigan
                        1992 Formula WS6-A/R Rims, Stock L05 swap, Former Abuse Victim
                        1983 Z28-Parts car- *Sold*
                        1984 Z28-305 HO Auto *Sold*
                        1986 Camaro-V-6 5Spd *Sold*
                        1984 Camaro-V-6 Auto *Sold*
                        <Motor out

Comment

Well, the best thing to do...count yourself lucky that's all you got. 107 on the freeway? Dude, what were you expecting him to say? Nice bike? Had it been here in CA, you'd be in jail. Slow it down man, there's no need to rush that much.
                          Steve
                          79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
                          87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
                          93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
                          http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

Things may have changed now but quite a number of years ago a friend's dad who was a TX State DPS Trooper told us ANYTHING going 100+ got an automatic trip to jail, no questions, vehicle impounded etc.

Granted, at the time I think everything was still 55mph so that would mean you were at least 45mph OVER the limit...
                            My DD
                            2015 Lexus GS350 FSport

My toy

Comment

big business

There is no doubt that traffic fines are big business. There are sections of road that produce alot of fines, and this is the way it is planned. The revenue received from this source is huge. Some of the traffic laws make little sense. I was once pulled over for not my turn at a 4 way stop. He said after I stopped I did not wait for the car going straight before I made my left. If the other car does not move should I wait all day for him to move? Talk about a stupid law.

Comment

Working...
                              X