g/f lookin at an RX8

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• g/f lookin at an RX8

So what do you guys think of this car? The dealer is asking 17995 and its a 6 spd. unfortunatly they dash is digital and we couldnt see the mileage and they were closing in like 5 minuts. Has anyone owned one? If so, what do you think?
    2006 Saturn Ion Redline
    2003 Mits. Eclipse Spyder

i see a few around, looks like a neat car to mess around with, altho i wonder if it has the seal problems like the RX7. guess time will tell
    2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

A friend from another forum had an 04 rx8 and he said it was one of the worst cars he had ever owned. It was at the dealer almost as much as it was in his driveway, but in the rx8's defense he said there were a few members of his rex forum that didn't have many problems at all.
      97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

01 Honda CBR600 F4i-Two bro's,Corbins,SS brake lines

Comment

Check around for reviews on the web. I've seen two common complaints: Lack of low end torque, and terrible (I mean TERRIBLE) fuel economy.

Jeff

Comment

I heard that they leak oil, and that the oil filler cap is buried under something that has to be unscrewed/ unbolted every time you want to get to it. Can someone confirm this?
          Red 95 Trans Am: M6, Moroso CAI, Magnaflow, Spohn sway bars, back to life as of 2/15/10!!!
          SOLD- Kinda miss it
          94 Del Sol VTEC: 27 city/ 33 highway, knee deep in slowness
          SOLD- Good riddance!
          2006 Ford Fusion: 2.3, 5 speed, could run 15lbs of boost with a 150 shot and it'd still be slow

Comment

My husband has an '04 RX8. He has enjoyed it. The gas mileage isn't very good. No major problems, so far.

Comment

The dealership hasn't been to good to us, so she isn't going to go with the car. Thanks for the replys guys
              2006 Saturn Ion Redline

Comment

Originally posted by ryan34
                The dealership hasn't been to good to us, so she isn't going to go with the car. Thanks for the replys guys
                That's because you're young. I went to a few dealerships and I could easily afford the cars I was looking at on the lot, but couldn't find someone to help me, and when I approached someone, they made me feel like I was wasting their time. Their loss, I went to a private seller. I suggest you do the same.
                97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

Comment

Originally posted by raroZ28
                  That's because you're young. I went to a few dealerships and I could easily afford the cars I was looking at on the lot, but couldn't find someone to help me, and when I approached someone, they made me feel like I was wasting their time. Their loss, I went to a private seller. I suggest you do the same.
                  Had the same experience when i was 20 years old, i was maybe just maybe thinking about trading my 96 WS6 clone in for a 2001 Sunset Orange WS6 at the local Pontiac dealer and you would think I would get a salesman or 2 to help me look at the car. Guess what not one salesman decided to help me out, there were proly 5-7 of them standing outside smoking their cigarettes. I even drove my car their all shined up trying to get the highest i could get on a trade in. Then as I was driving off the lot to leave, i pulled up next to them and said "f*** you guys" will never shop their again.... good luck go private seller, cheaper and easier to bargin with.
                  1996 Trans Am:T-tops,graphite leather,16" chrome T/A rims, Nitto's, Descreened MAF, Morosso CAI, hypertech, flowtech cut out, 1LE elbow, Silver BMR tubular SFC's, 160 thermo, limo tint, harwood ws6 hood, !side molding, Stage 2 trans.

Looking for a driver side window.

Comment

Originally posted by PUREPWR
                    Had the same experience when i was 20 years old, i was maybe just maybe thinking about trading my 96 WS6 clone in for a 2001 Sunset Orange WS6 at the local Pontiac dealer and you would think I would get a salesman or 2 to help me look at the car. Guess what not one salesman decided to help me out, there were proly 5-7 of them standing outside smoking their cigarettes. I even drove my car their all shined up trying to get the highest i could get on a trade in. Then as I was driving off the lot to leave, i pulled up next to them and said "f*** you guys" will never shop their again.... good luck go private seller, cheaper and easier to bargin with.

HAHA, i'm sorry you had to go through that though, you too steve. But it was really a spur of the moment thing, don't think we'll be getting one.
                    2006 Saturn Ion Redline

Comment

Ok, so now that i'm not at work i can give you guys the full story....Me and my g/f were helping her friend with buying a car. While that was going on we saw the RX8 for 17995. Sounded like a great deal, so we decided to take it for a test drive. Well it took forever for us to get help, and when we finally did get help...we had to wait like 30 minutes before we could even take a look at the inside. We just gave them the benefit of the doubt because it was really busy monday. So we go back tuesday and same deal, loads of and crappy service...well we decided that they must not want out business and we will just save the money(she just got a new jeep and i'm looking at a 98 T/A) So its not like we were dreaming of getting this car.

Well about the RX8....great interior, great sound system, great handling/feel and the seats were VERY confortable. But poor part throttle acceleration. I mean the car was really nice but it didn't leave me with the "gotta have it" attitude.
                      2006 Saturn Ion Redline

Comment

But poor part throttle acceleration. I mean the car was really nice but it didn't leave me with the "gotta have it" attitude.
                        Don't forget, you drive an f-body. Not many cars are going to feel close to it.

Comment

But poor part throttle acceleration. I mean the car was really nice but it didn't leave me with the "gotta have it" attitude.
                          I think you'd be surprised how many cars have poor throttle response, granted this is a sports car which is supposed to have decent response. I work with a rental car company and I drive their cars all day long. Most of them take a second or two to kick in after you hit the gas, with the exception of the Maxima, G35 and Charger. Just about everything else makes me very thankful that I own an F- body. Heck, even my girlfriend's Concorde is a step up (IMO) in comparison to most new cars. Can't beat instant throttle response
                          Red 95 Trans Am: M6, Moroso CAI, Magnaflow, Spohn sway bars, back to life as of 2/15/10!!!
                          SOLD- Kinda miss it
                          94 Del Sol VTEC: 27 city/ 33 highway, knee deep in slowness
                          SOLD- Good riddance!
                          2006 Ford Fusion: 2.3, 5 speed, could run 15lbs of boost with a 150 shot and it'd still be slow

Comment

Working...
                          X