New Camaro to be given the green light

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Camaro to be given the green light

JeffY posted this link on Chirpthird http://freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/artic...=2006608060568
    2000 Camaro SS..........6 speed triple black

woohoo !!!!!!!!!!!
    Rhode Island Red *Lurker since 1997*

2002 Firehawk #0035/1503 !Cags | !Air | !PCV | Airborn-coated Kooks LT's | Powerbond UD Pulley | Custom Cam | Ported Oil pump | LS2 timing chain | Comp 918's | Hardened push rods | LSS | BMR STB | SLP Bolt-on SFC's | drill mod |TB Bypass | Ported TB | Custom Dyno tuning | 160* thermostat | LS7 Clutch
    Ordered: May 1, 2001 Built: June 1, 2001 Delivered August 25, 2001
    pics and info

Comment

sorry...I'm a Pontiac dude.... but...glad for you chevy fans....

i did own one camaro... my first f body...1967........ been firebirds since......well, until now.....

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
      Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
      sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

Originally posted by wolfman
        sorry...I'm a Pontiac dude.... but...glad for you chevy fans....

i did own one camaro... my first f body...1967........ been firebirds since......well, until now.....
        Same here...well, I've only owned birds. Still ... Good to see GM trying to get back in the game...a little late, but better than never.

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
        Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
        B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
        Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
        Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

it is bittersweet to get the Camaro back without its Pontiac sibling.

but...one is better than I suppose. I just hope the top V8 model can run with the GT500.
          Living in the pools, They soon forget about the sea...— Rush, "Natural Science" (1980)

Formerly "gauSSian" from my f-body days.

Comment

Originally posted by gauSSian
            it is bittersweet to get the Camaro back without its Pontiac sibling.

but...one is better than I suppose. I just hope the top V8 model can run with the GT500.
            It's still not completely certain the Firebird is dead. They have yet to confirm what the Pontiac will be badged as. GTO or Firebird. Actually, I believe they have yet to confirm a Pontiac rebadge at all....
            SOLD: 2002 Trans Am WS.6 - Black on Black - 6 Speed
            SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
            17K Miles

2005 Acura TL - Silver on Black
            Navigation - Surround Audio - Bluetooth

Comment

Originally posted by 02 WS6
              It's still not completely certain the Firebird is dead. They have yet to confirm what the Pontiac will be badged as. GTO or Firebird. Actually, I believe they have yet to confirm a Pontiac rebadge at all....
              That's like saying they have yet to confirm production of the Camaro. Many sources have stated that the Firebird is not coming back. That's a long way from what was said about the "Camaro hiatus". There should be a GTO. While things can always change, I certainly wouldn't put any money on a new Firebird coming out.
              Joe K.
              '11 BMW 328i
              '10 Matrix S AWD
              Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

Originally posted by Joe K. 99 Zeee!!
                That's like saying they have yet to confirm production of the Camaro. Many sources have stated that the Firebird is not coming back. That's a long way from what was said about the "Camaro hiatus". There should be a GTO. While things can always change, I certainly wouldn't put any money on a new Firebird coming out.
                I also doubt the Firebird is coming back... at least with this generation. It will most likely all depend on how well sales go for the Camaro. If the Camaro were to sell really well, and a new GTO with the same chassis sold poorly, it wouldn't be beyond belief they would re-release the next generation under the Firebird moniker.

A long shot, but a shot theless...
                SOLD: 2002 Trans Am WS.6 - Black on Black - 6 Speed
                SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
                17K Miles

2005 Acura TL - Silver on Black
                Navigation - Surround Audio - Bluetooth

Comment

I think the Firebird was probably ruled dead a long time ago because of past sales history. I would certainly like to see a new Firebird but other than the die-hard Firebird fanatics, there probably aren't that many folks waitng with baited breath for a new one.
                  2000 Camaro SS..........6 speed triple black

Comment

"Many sources"...................
                    "others have said"...............

Ironically the first Firebird was a suprise to the public, a Pontiac styling trim variation added to the f-body platform at the last moment. One thing for sure, the only thing that is certain is change. What is dead one moment is alive the next. It was that way 40 years ago, it's the same way today.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe 1320
                      "Many sources"...................
                      "others have said"...............
                      Well, here's where I was coming from. These statements are not just from anonymous sources. The statements are not being taken out of context. But I get what you're saying. There will never be a "final" word. But I do think it's going to be some time before we see the Firebird nameplate again.

A quote from Bob Lutz:
                      "Contrary to rumors, however, Lutz said General Motors is not planning to revive the Pontiac Firebird. "No, that's not something we are planning. We are not going to do that car," he said."...... Bob Lutz at the Geneva Auto Show (Autoweek article, but can be viewed here: http://www.cactusgto.com/PITNews03-02-06.php )
                      And from the F-bod Father:
                      Listen to Guy -- he knows of what he speaks on this subject.

Let me ask you this: If you were running GM -- and you saw what the company lost last year -- and you know that the American market is relatively flat at 16.5 to 17 million units a year-- and you, as a buyer (I'm talking the buying public at large here, not just you -- ) have more and more models coming into the market from more and more manufacturers -- would YOU approve a plan to offer a Camaro and a Firebird? (anyone wanna take a guess at what it would cost to make a Camaro look like a Firebird?)

It is not a case of GM saying 'the hell with all you Firebird enthusiasts' -- rather, it's a case of GM surviving in a more and more competitive marketplace where, by the way, the playing field is not a level playing field in the world market.

As an enthusiast, there's nothing I'd like better than to see a new Firebird -- as a business person -- and someone who would like to retire someday -- I can't see it happening.

One last thought -- forget trying to compare the marketplace from the 60s, 70s, 80s, and 90s to today -- it's apples to oranges.

Now -- that said-- I think Pontiac needs a big honkin' V8 car in their line-up -- and that's all I'm gonna say about that!
                      Joe K.
                      '11 BMW 328i
                      '10 Matrix S AWD
                      Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

Working...
                      X