Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

@*&$#@%$ home builders!!!!!!!!! and inspectors!!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• @*&$#@%$ home builders!!!!!!!!! and inspectors!!!

remember a week or so ago, me asking about a good HAVC system to put in? had lots of good responses, wanna thank yall again for that. our unit is over 20 years old... got our moneys worth and then some......

well, and old friend that ownes his own HAVC system came today with our new unit and 4 dudes...all very knowledgeable... took em all day to do the install... not complaining, they corrected alot of sh!# the original install left hanging and crapped up....... i even put up a nice vynal fence around the outside unit to keep the dogs at bay (if they p!$$ on it...it corrodes the aluminum) and also when they shed..if they get within 4ft..the unit su#$s the hair to the coils......

anyway......

the big boss, my bud.. had some service calls to do...and left the work in the hands of his capable folks....., one of which is a car dude... and drolled all over the goat when i took the cover off it for him in the garage...

so its all hooked up......... the time had come.. gauges in place, FIRE ER UP......... cold air is commng out like banshee's in all the vents downstairs, air flow is pretty good upstairs...he had me go up and check it........ i came down and said.. "i really cant tell if its right upstairs though... its comming out...its cold...but to me...not as fast as it should....."... he said "i'l go up and check it then..come on..........."

off we went.......

after feeling the vent flow.......he stops suddenly, turns and looks at me and says "where is your return air flow vent up here"?????? im like......."duuhhhhhhh".... i admit it ...i dont know jackshit about hvac.....sorry...i just dont....... im learning...and i learned a h#!! of lot today...these folks walked me thru everything...and i was right behind em most of the time.. i love to learn..

guess what? theres no friggin return air flow vent upstairs!!!!!!!!!
    thats right, in this house we bought......in 1991... that was inspected by a building inspector...lived in for 11 years by another family before we bought it........ and nobody said sh!%......... no wonder the upstairs has always been hot!!!!!!!!!! the themostat is downstairs of course.... and the only air being drawn into the system is downstairs...and then sent thru the cooler.....and the themostat says "this is good" and cuts off cause it thinks we are cool and fuzzy...or warm and fuzzy...in the winter.....

not so.........

without drawing air from upstairs..and mixing it with the downstairs air...... we aint got sh$% for cooling efficiency..........

d@mnit.

he's comming back next weds and we are crawling up in the attic..to find the duck..... some worker drywalled over the the duck vent instead of putting a grill on it.......or blocked it off. my buds gonna fix it......and change our world for us.........

live and learn.......the hard way........

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
    Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
    sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

There are thermostats that have remote sensors. You can add a remote sensor upstairs and the thermostat downstairs will average the 2 (the one up stairs and the one in the thermostat).

Something else you might want to consider is a thermostat that has an automatic changeover from cool to heat. You can not buy them from places like Home Depot. They are only available at commercial supply places or by a contractor or the internet.

A programmable thermostat from Home depot has a switch for off/cool/heat. It will have programmable times with a single temperature.

A programmable thermostat with auto changeover has a switch that says off/cool/auto/heat. It will have a programmable times with 2 temperatures. A low and a high for each program time. The thermostat will automatically switch from cool to heat whenever needed to keep it within the 2 temperature set. Now what this allows is with this thermostat you can program it for year round comfort. It doesn’t matter which season it is. It will keep it within the 2 temperatures. The one from Home Depot you have to reprogram it every spring and every fall to change it from cool to heat mode.

Here is the one I have.
    http://www.white-rodgers.com/wrdhom/...pg_008_009.pdf

Here are the 2 big guys in thermostats.
    http://customer.honeywell.com/Honeyw...CFB4218DD64%7d

http://www.white-rodgers.com/wrdhom/index.html

Originally posted by wolfman
    we are crawling up in the attic..to find the duck
    quack quack LOL
    2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

sorry to hear that, Ken, but glad you will be able to remedy it and enjoy your air conditioning everywhere.

Originally posted by wolfman
      ...we are crawling up in the attic..to find the duck.....

careful...some ducks bite.
      Living in the pools, They soon forget about the sea...— Rush, "Natural Science" (1980)

Formerly "gauSSian" from my f-body days.

Comment

We had that in our first house we bought. It was the model home and we bought it as a repop.

It would never cool or heat well upstairs. Eventually I found that even though there were metal return vent covers, they didn't lead anywhere!

The only place that had a return was the kitchen which was right above the furnace.

In order to make them work we would ahve had to rip the wall open in many places and even then it would have been very difficult.

Your chances through the attic seem to be much better.
        97 Trans Am A4 more or less stock (Mods: WS6 Ram Air with Fernco & K&N, 12 disc CD changer, power antenna, SLP Fan Switch, LS1 Aluminum DS, Borla Cat back, McCord power plate, Spohn tower brace, Sirius, HID fog lights)

1and1 Web Hosting

Comment

Working...
        X