Gear and tranny question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gear and tranny question

Ive got a freind building a truck which he intends on being a mainly drag strip truck with occasional street usage. The truck is an 83 S10 with a 383 TPI motor running 6 pounds of boost from a paxton supercharger. My question is that will he have issues with topping out with a 3 speed automatic tranny and 3.55 for gearing?
    99 Z28 M6, SS hood, borla muffler
    93 TA A4, sold

His biggest issue is going to be getting the power to the ground. I know a guy who put a stock 350 in a S10 and it was just dangerous.
    2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Originally posted by G Fry33
      Ive got a freind building a truck which he intends on being a mainly drag strip truck with occasional street usage. The truck is an 83 S10 with a 383 TPI motor running 6 pounds of boost from a paxton supercharger. My question is that will he have issues with topping out with a 3 speed automatic tranny and 3.55 for gearing?
      What size tire is he going to run? That will be critical in determining his top speed and more importantly red line in 3rd gear. Is he running a TH400? S10's are a popular choice for drag racers. There are some pretty fast ones down here.

Here is a pretty good collection of auto formulas. There are several gearing/tire/trans calculations towards the middle of the page.

With just 3.55's, he should have plenty of gear left at the dragstrip unless he just goes crazy with tire size.

Comment

S-10

I agree with fast TA, 3.55 is a mild gear for the drags, unless he is planning on using tires from a scooter.
        This is a popular swap and a very light street car. My son had one and it weighed 2950 ready to run with no weight taken off it. The stock engine was the slowest accelerating vehicle I have ever been in. The 350 woke it up big time.

Comment

i think he plans on going for something in the 315 range for the rear tires. Thanks for the opinions on that gearing he was looking for some info.
          99 Z28 M6, SS hood, borla muffler
          93 TA A4, sold

Comment

Working...
          X