ebay and paypal fraud

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ebay and paypal fraud

I recently sold a Toshiba laptop on ebay and I'm 99.99% sure it's a fraudulent buyer using a hijacked account. However, Paypal will not help me, and ebay is as slow as snails to respond. Here's a summary of what got me suspicious:
    1) Ebay user lives in Russia and is named Igor. The paypal user, from whom I received payment, is named Fred and lives in Georgia. The ebay user is requesting me to ship to Russia.
    2) Ebay user is winning everything and has purchased very expensive items as of late (computer equipment, electronics, etc). Otherwise, feedback in the past was on diet pills and belt buckles.
    3) Ebay user does not reveal email address and ONLY responds via ebay messages.
    4) Ebay user did not pay through ebay links via seller invoice (to access Paypal), and did not reference the ebay auction in the paypal transaction record.
    5) Paypal user address is address of an actual bank in Georgia.
    6) Ebay user continually requests to have me ship immediately.

Now if I were to accept the current money in my account, 2 months later, Paypal will take the money back, claming it was a stolen account. So I would be out 1 laptop, and well over $900 (money back, ebay fees, shipping fees).

I haven't told the buyer yet, as I'm trying to "string" him on, hoping someone will catch him. Man, so many thieves and morons in the world
    94 Black T/A GT, Advanced Induction 355, 3200 stall, built 4L60E, Moser 9", Baer Brakes, Shooting for 11s...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you can deny the payment, right?
    Steve
    79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
    87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
    93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
    http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

Deny the use of paypal and request a USPS money order. That way you are safe.

Comment

Thanks guys, I will refund the payment to the paypal user. However, I will wait instructions from ebay or paypal. They might have something in store...that could be advantageous to catching him (yea I know, probably not), but I'll still wait a day or so.

I just found Strike 6: The loser changed his ebay screen name as of 8-11-06. And this joker currently is winning over $8000 in goods. Yea, a Russian with $8k to spend in the last 3 days, when he's spent a few bucks over 6 years previously. Maybe I should start warning other ebay sellers he's dealing with, especially if Paypal and Ebay decide to sit on their a$$ and wait until the fraud occurs, until they actually do something.
        94 Black T/A GT, Advanced Induction 355, 3200 stall, built 4L60E, Moser 9", Baer Brakes, Shooting for 11s...

Comment

I cant stand ebay or paypal. When somthing like this happens its such a big problem because ebay takes awhile to respond and answers with a stupid suggestion. I have yet to get my 91.00 dollars back from that kid.
          I have his adress phone number everything, Ive sent letters and all. By the way any Orlando Florida people live near him and want to see if hes around! hehe
          1996 Z-28 6 speed, Airfoil, K&N FIPK, Flowmaster muffler, Motive 3.73 gears, BBK shorty headers, cut-out, LS1 Driveshaft, no power options (Rare), Prothane tranny mount, MSD 8.5mm wires, Accel U-Groove Plugs, Chrome hurst short throw, TB Bypass, ES Torque arm mount, BMR subframe connectors (weld-in), Lt4 Knock Module, Descreened MAF, '02 SS wheels, Pioneer HU, MTX & JL amps, 2 12" JBL's, T-Top Conversion!

Comment

E bay

Ebay has alot of rip offs on it. I had a bad experience with someone using a false advertising gimmick. This happened to be a pool video advertising Mosconi - Greenleaf. The only time they appeared in the video was when one was standing for a group shot, (Greenleaf), and the other practicing a trick shot, Mosconi. The rest of the discs was bad video of players most never heard of. This was like a drag advertisment with Don Garlits - Bill Jenkins, and then giving you Joe the Baker and Harry the Lip. There is no recourse with E Bay, you are on your own. You cant bring your purchase back to the local store. I have not been on E bay since, (several years).
            I ripped her in the response section and she called me names, but she had no real defense. Showed her stupidity about pool in her statements. I found out she lived in the Tampa area, close to where I live. Maybe someday, somehow I will run into her.

Comment

Buying from Ebay is far easier than selling. I've had 100% great experiences on Ebay with buying. You have far more protection as a buyer than you do as a seller.

There is one way to fend off unwanted buyers, however, I believe it is outside of the Ebay rules and regulations. You need to see who is winning the auction with a few minutes left. Then you have a friend spank the bid up and win the auction. Obviously, your friend doesn't need to buy it.

I wouldn't recommend this method. If caught, your Ebay account could be permanantly suspended. I did know someone who regularly did this. The problem was, he was doing it to items he wanted more money for. He asked me several times to help him out like that, but I always turned him down.
              SOLD: 2002 Trans Am WS.6 - Black on Black - 6 Speed
              SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
              17K Miles

2005 Acura TL - Silver on Black
              Navigation - Surround Audio - Bluetooth

Comment

I can't believe, they actually listened to me! I wrote another extensive letter to ebay, now with tons of hard evidence so a fraud investigation team was setup to get him. Well, they nailed him and nullified all of his winning bids. So no seller will be scammed by this user. They also refunded my listing fees. I'm so happy I got my $50 back, as well as this $#@$ got nailed.

Comment

Originally posted by Craig 94 TA GT
                  I can't believe, they actually listened to me! I wrote another extensive letter to ebay, now with tons of hard evidence so a fraud investigation team was setup to get him. Well, they nailed him and nullified all of his winning bids. So no seller will be scammed by this user. They also refunded my listing fees. I'm so happy I got my $50 back, as well as this $#@$ got nailed.
                  Nice!

Comment

Darn, and I was hoping to meet him lol
                    Steve
                    79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
                    87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
                    93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
                    http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

Congrats! I love hearing about these people getting theirs.
                      SOLD: 2002 Trans Am WS.6 - Black on Black - 6 Speed
                      SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
                      17K Miles

2005 Acura TL - Silver on Black
                      Navigation - Surround Audio - Bluetooth

Comment

Originally posted by Craig 94 TA GT
                        And Justice is served! Nice one Craig.

Comment

Very nice!! I'm glad you caught on to him, and i'm sure the other people are happy too.
                          2006 Saturn Ion Redline
                          2003 Mits. Eclipse Spyder

Comment

You guys are not going to believe this. Another fraud!!! I relisted my laptop last night with a buy-it-now option. I specifically state very strict terms regarding shipping only to Paypal confirmed addresses. Well, this morning somebody purchased it. I was excited until I saw his feedback. 0. He is a new user as of yesterday. He pulls some BS story (with choppy English) that his daughter lost her laptop, and he's in England, while she's in Texas. I would need to ship it to TX via his UPS account. By this time, I know he's fraud. But to verify it, I look at his current bids/auction winnings and guess what. He's got several laptops he has won since last night, totalling over $6000. He obviously is in Texas and hijacked a Paypal account in England. This is utterly ridiculous. I've had enough of selling on ebay.

Comment

Whoa unreal man.

Sorry to hear of your troubles.
                              Thats society for you.

Sell it locally in the newspaper or something

2002 Firehawk Sold

Comment

Working...
                              X