Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Have you ever seen a spark plug like this?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have you ever seen a spark plug like this?

This came out of a 99 Suburban this morning with a Vortec 350 in it. The guy that brought it to us was complaining that the motor was running very rough. Put it on the scanner and there were all kinds of problems.

Pull the plugs to see what's going on and this was the way #4, #6 and #8 looked!

After looking in the cylinders with a borescope through the spark plug holes we found this same material stuffed between the intake valves and valve seat on #4, 6, and 8.

Well after removing the upper plenum I found the problem. Apparently two of the poppet valve (fuel injector) lines had become brittle and had cracked obviously leaking fuel straight into the upper plenum. You could tell there had been a pretty strong fire under the upper intake.

So that crap you see on the plugs is melted plastic!

Wierd problem.

Comment

Running rough, huh?

Comment

Holy smoke!
        Michael Gulley

Kansas City Pontiac Motorsports
        http://www.kcpmc.net

Comment

Freakin' Chevys! That thing shouldn't have even been able to run; the owner is still driving around, getting groceries with it....Hmmm, maybe I got some bad gas.....
          2001 Z28 A4 - 160 deg t-stat, 3.42 gears, WS6 sway bars, rear springs and shocks, UMI SFC's, Torque Arm and STB, leather Firebird seats, Borla, SLP Y-pipe and lid, ZO6 cam and springs - 332 RWHP and 346 RWTQ, not bad for 'almost stock' - work in progress
          "Black, the fastest color"

Comment

He's lucky the damn thing didn't burn to the ground.

In all my life, I have never seen plastic coated spark plugs like that. Pretty wild. The motor is hosed. That plastic shit is all through the motor. Chris is going to order a crate motor and we're just going to salvage the lower intake, heads and block from the hosed motor.

I wish I could post some pics of how the combustion chambers and valves looked through the borescope but obviously I can't. When the heads get pulled, I will get some pics.

Comment

Working...
            X