wear your seatbelt

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wear your seatbelt

i do this twice a year, once on the day it happend and once on his "would be birthday"....

my son was born august 22, 1976. he would have been 30 years old today.
    born into a house with a dad who just left gm as a safety engnieer to take a govt. job in the newly formed Automotive Commodity Center and a support engineer...... as he grew, he learned, heard, and ate, drank, and slept automotive safety, from keeping tires properly inflated, to keeping windows clean, suspension components in check, seat belts in check, air bags (later on), you name it.

he went on to become a very good mechanic as his profession of choice.......

he was killed two years ago April in mid southern Va. in an auto crash. driving an older dodge ram pick up....which are built like a tank. ........ the right front wheel dropped down in a ditch...he stayed on it and tried to correct, it was a slow mild curve, he was doing around 60 mph.... the a-arm snapped, on the right side, the truck dug in the ditch, and went airborn on its right side, and hit a tree head on......he was thrown thru the windshield and killed instantly........ because he was not wearing a seat belt. his girlfriend ended up under the dash on the passenger side....... she went thru extensive surgery, having her left eye socket reconstructed and recieved several cracked bones in her upper body....... she was not wearing a seat belt.........she was lucky to be alive.

regards.

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
    Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
    sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

I really appreciate that you take the time to share such an emotional tragedy with us. I hope everyone takes the time to read this, and takes heed.

God Bless.
    Tracy
    2002 C5 M6 Convertible
    1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
    Current Mods:
    SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

I vividly remember that, Ken...jeez, you were already so emotionally charged helping him with his health issues and then outta nowhere, this happened. My heart went out to you.

it's just like you to take such a bewildering tragedy and turn it into a way to help others.

I used to never wear seatbelts. Then it became the law, and I still stubbornly resisted and thankfully it didn't take a tragedy to turn me around. I just got tired of worrying every time I saw a cop. Now I would feel naked driving without it.

When I rolled my Z28 , the belt kept my head from the ttop glass, which could've potentially been bad.
      Living in the pools, They soon forget about the sea...— Rush, "Natural Science" (1980)

Formerly "gauSSian" from my f-body days.

Comment

I remember the day i when i read the original post about this.

Good Bless
        1996 Trans Am:T-tops,graphite leather,16" chrome T/A rims, Nitto's, Descreened MAF, Morosso CAI, hypertech, flowtech cut out, 1LE elbow, Silver BMR tubular SFC's, 160 thermo, limo tint, harwood ws6 hood, !side molding, Stage 2 trans.

Looking for a driver side window.

Comment

I still remember...

I was driving home today...and took off my seat belt to make myself alittle more comfortable for the drive home...and I realized that in a blink anything could happen...I snapped it back on.

We're still sorry for your lost Ken.

Your perseverance is appreciated...thanks.

Lets stay safe out there.

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
          Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
          B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
          Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
          Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

thanks guys. alot.

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
            Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
            sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

I remember that event vividly like the very day it happened.

I was raised from birth to always wear a seat-belt as Southern Caifornia was already quite choked in traffic in the 70's already. Parents always refused to even start the car without everybody buckled up. To this day, I do the same - any passenger in a vehicle I drive will have a seat-belt or I won't start the car or will pull over until they do - I am iron-clad stubborn in this regard.

Thanks for the reminder !
              Rhode Island Red *Lurker since 1997*

2002 Firehawk #0035/1503 !Cags | !Air | !PCV | Airborn-coated Kooks LT's | Powerbond UD Pulley | Custom Cam | Ported Oil pump | LS2 timing chain | Comp 918's | Hardened push rods | LSS | BMR STB | SLP Bolt-on SFC's | drill mod |TB Bypass | Ported TB | Custom Dyno tuning | 160* thermostat | LS7 Clutch
              Ordered: May 1, 2001 Built: June 1, 2001 Delivered August 25, 2001
              pics and info

Comment

Ken I never know what to say when you post these. Words just can't do it justice. My thoughts are with you and your family though.

I guess when you start driving in cars with vinyl seats and Armor All you learn to wear your seat belts out of necessity to keep from sliding across the car. I've always been in to handling as much as acceleration so you kind of need them. I had front and rear sway bars on my 70 Dodge Dart (340 6 pack 4spd 3.91 gears). When I bought my first motorcycle 20+ years ago, 750 Interceptor, it felt weird to me to not have a seat belt. Same thing in a speed boat. Of coarse neither would you want one. I wouldn't mind a multi point harness in my car now. I can't understand why anybody wouldn't wear them.
                2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Thanks for reposting this, Ken. It must be tough every time you do it. Still, you take the time to do it anyway. You are doing your son very proud.

Thank you and God Bless.
                  SOLD: 2002 Trans Am WS.6 - Black on Black - 6 Speed
                  SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
                  17K Miles

2005 Acura TL - Silver on Black
                  Navigation - Surround Audio - Bluetooth

Comment

always where my seatbelt....thanks for the concern ken
                    2006 Saturn Ion Redline
                    2003 Mits. Eclipse Spyder

Comment

It's unfortunate that it takes tragic stories like this to convince some people to wear seatbelts. I too don't understand why people don't.

My brother in law never wore a seatbelt. My sister would remind him all the time when he was driving to put it on and he would refuse. My nephew was born 3 years ago. Funny, now he wears a seatbelt all the time.

Thanks for the reminder Ken.

Scott
                      My DD
                      2015 Lexus GS350 FSport

My toy

Comment

thanks for the post, i was raised to wear my seatbelt and i dont move the car until everyones buckled but its always nice to see the reminders, just wish it wasnt such a tragedy one of the guys where i was stationed rolled his mustang convertible after a party and killed him and his girl, neither had seatbelts on, its sad to think abot, the actions in 1 second that could change your life

Comment

I for one will never forget.

I refuse to let anyone in my car's without a seatbelt...won't happen on my watch.

Stay strong...
                          Al 96 Ram Air T/A
                          Mods: Build # 784 * Hotchkis STB * SFCs * Borla cat back w/QTP cut-out * AS&M/RK Sports Mid-length headers w/single CAT * Koni SA shocks on lower perch w/ lowered rear * Strano Hollow front & rear antisway bars * 1LE front/rear springs * 1LE aluminum driveshaft * Strange 4.10 gears w/ Zexel Torsen diff. * ARP bearing cap studs & aluminum diff cover* J&M Hotpart poly/poly rear LCAs and poly/poly panhard bar * RAM Powergrip clutch w/ LT4 PP and RAM billet Al flywheel * C5 Z06 brakes * C6 Z06 wheels * Spohn T/A * Spohn DS Loop * fully custom interior w/ custom audio

Comment

Working...
                          X