Sad story

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sad story

If you want to race the track is the only place to do it. I admit to street racing in the past, but the track is much better.
    1. There are many cars who will race you at the track. You can drive a 100 miles and not get a street race.
    2. You get a timeslip which gives you something to compare your car with others, and something to improve on.
    3. A fair start system and win loss indicator.
    4. Spectators who appreciate what you are doing, not ones who will call the cops on you.
    5. John law will not be chasing you, unless hes in the other lane, there are police officers who drag race.
    6. You will not have to pay fines, get your insurance hiked, or your car impounded.
    7. The safety factor is worlds better, there are no cross streets or other traffic at a drag strip.

This reminds me of a story that was told to me by the person that sold this car:
    It was the late 1960s, he had purchased one of the Hemi Plymouths with the aluminum front end, stripped interior
    etc. It was the factory race car they put out in the mid 60s. I beleive he said it was a 1964. It was quick for its
    day and he had alot of fun with it but it was rough going out on a date with it. So he decided to sell it and a well
    to do parent decided to buy it for his young son. The seller warned him that this was not a good choice of cars
    for a young inexperienced driver. The father said his son would not do anything wrong. The story ends tragically
    as the seller sees his car in the headlines. The young man was racing at very high speeds on a road that had a
    dip under a RR bridge. He was going fast enough to fly into the bridge and kill himself.
    I do beleive those of us who
    buy/build our own cars have more respect for the cars we drive.

Originally posted by Dave Vince
    If you want to race the track is the only place to do it. I admit to street racing in the past, but the track is much better.
    1. There are many cars who will race you at the track. You can drive a 100 miles and not get a street race.
    2. You get a timeslip which gives you something to compare your car with others, and something to improve on.
    3. A fair start system and win loss indicator.
    4. Spectators who appreciate what you are doing, not ones who will call the cops on you.
    5. John law will not be chasing you, unless hes in the other lane, there are police officers who drag race.
    6. You will not have to pay fines, get your insurance hiked, or your car impounded.
    7. The safety factor is worlds better, there are no cross streets or other traffic at a drag strip.

This reminds me of a story that was told to me by the person that sold this car:
    It was the late 1960s, he had purchased one of the Hemi Plymouths with the aluminum front end, stripped interior
    etc. It was the factory race car they put out in the mid 60s. I beleive he said it was a 1964. It was quick for its
    day and he had alot of fun with it but it was rough going out on a date with it. So he decided to sell it and a well
    to do parent decided to buy it for his young son. The seller warned him that this was not a good choice of cars
    for a young inexperienced driver. The father said his son would not do anything wrong. The story ends tragically
    as the seller sees his car in the headlines. The young man was racing at very high speeds on a road that had a
    dip under a RR bridge. He was going fast enough to fly into the bridge and kill himself.
    I do beleive those of us who
    buy/build our own cars have more respect for the cars we drive.
    I believe that too. You can't just give one to someone and expect them to take care of it and drive it with respect unless he's also a hot rodder whose owned and built one previously.

BTW, I believe those race hemi 'Cudas had acid dipped steel panels & half thickness glass with pull up windows, and almost no interior. They were rated at over 500 gross hp and definitely not a beginner car or really a street car. OTH, I would definitely love to have one of those...

Comment

I had a similar story with my old '79 when I sold it. The kid wrapped it around a tree, thankfully he survived.....I warned them! That car would swap ends in a heartbeat with a 455 and 3.73s. I absolutely hated the brakes. Very much like when riding in my best friend's Charger. I remember one time when he got on the brakes hard due to another moron driver and did a few side to side Dukes of Hazzard style fishtails and came to a perfect stop in a turn lane, right where he should be if he had intended to indeed turn. A few seconds after coming to a stop, these large white clouds of tire smoke drifted by..... Funny thing is that about 15 seconds later, a member of the local PD drove up in the opposite turn lane, he never saw a thing. Probably good and bad. And in typical fashion, the blue haired lady in the Mercury never even noticed this large red aircraft carrier sized Dodge sliding past, she was long on her merry way cruising safely at 25 mph in a 55 mph zone.

Brakes. I can't say enough about them.

Comment

My father bought a brand new Z/28 in 1969. He owned it until '74. He sold it to some 21 year old who claimed he was a hot rod purist. The car was wrecked six months later. My father still cringes when he tells that story.
        SOLD: 2002 Trans Am WS.6 - Black on Black - 6 Speed
        SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
        17K Miles

2005 Acura TL - Silver on Black
        Navigation - Surround Audio - Bluetooth

Comment

Stripped models

I think you are correct on the equipment on the Plymouth, they did everything to lighten up the car. This was the full size car that Plymouth made in 64 not the smaller Cuda type car. I understand the aluminum front would dent if you leaned on it, and they did acid dip the panels, and put in no insulation, he said it sounded like you were driving a tin can. Those cars bring big bucks today on the collector market. Stock off the showroom floor with street tires they could run low 13s. With a little work they could get into the 11s. That was very good in 1964.

Comment

Some kid wanted to buy my old Mustang. I refused to sell it to him. He was mad but he was still alive and I can live with that.
            2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

i too have a simular story, only mine is with my 1988 Yamaha Banshee 4 wheeler... i used to race with it in Texas, i had tons of mods on it... when i got back to VA (govt transfered my tire program to DC) in 90... i suddenly found ....not only did i not want to race it (i raced cross country and sand dune stuff in texas, very few indoor tracks... )there were very few places to go 4 wheeling.... so i put it up for sale. a guy bought it for his son in Colonial beach, va... i tried to sway him from it...(i knew i'd sell it eventually)..."this is not a good choice for a 13 year old, this is a race bred 4 wheeler that will out drag race a v8 muscle car in the 1/8 mile.... please reconsider".... "he'll be fine, i'll be riding with him..."

the kid went off a cliff near the beach, totalled the Banshee and broke his collarbone in 2 places, his right arm, crush his ribs on the right side, punctured a lung, and cracked a neck vertabrea..........

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
              Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
              sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

I think the key word is RESPECT.

My car showed me who was boss about 2 weeks after I bought it. My 1st car was a 79 Formula that eventually got too undependable for daily driving in SA so I bought a 92 Grand Prix. That eventually got traded in on the 97 Z28. Both cars I owned previously were automatic, the 97 is manual. I knew how to drive a manual but had never done so day to day in traffic etc. so I had some learning to do. About 2 weeks after I bought it I was out with a friend and he encouraged me to show him what it could do. Long story short, not being completely comfortable with the clutch yet I "swapped ends" very quickly and ended up halfway in the ditch beside the road. No real damage to the car, scared the sh** out of me and my friend. I took that as my car teaching me a lesson about respect...
                My DD
                2015 Lexus GS350 FSport

My toy

Comment

Seems like when we are young we rarely take the advise of the older and wiser. Always have to learn the hard way. Some are luckier than others and survive.

Comment

Working...
                  X