Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So when are you storing your F-body for winter?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So when are you storing your F-body for winter?

I know some Canuk's and others in cold climates are already seriously thinking of storing their F-bodies soon. So that has me wondering about our various group here ?

Me - usually around November 15. I use a Noah weather-shield car cover along with bungee-cords for the constant winds we get here.

You Southern no-snow people can go suck a lemon
    Rhode Island Red *Lurker since 1997*

2002 Firehawk #0035/1503 !Cags | !Air | !PCV | Airborn-coated Kooks LT's | Powerbond UD Pulley | Custom Cam | Ported Oil pump | LS2 timing chain | Comp 918's | Hardened push rods | LSS | BMR STB | SLP Bolt-on SFC's | drill mod |TB Bypass | Ported TB | Custom Dyno tuning | 160* thermostat | LS7 Clutch
    Ordered: May 1, 2001 Built: June 1, 2001 Delivered August 25, 2001
    pics and info

mines been stored since the 2nd of aug, blew the tranny up and since college is coming up, dont have any spare change , was hoping for one more chance to drive it this year but guess i cant
    2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

Store it? What's that? I had never heard of a "winter beater" until recently. LOL
      2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Mine is a garage queen. Last year, I put her away the night before Thanksgiving. We had snow on Thanksgiving Day. As soon as there's even an ounce of winter precip on the roads around here, my town loves to get the sanders fired up.

If it doesn't snow before Thanksgiving again, I'll probably target that as the time again.
        SOLD: 2002 Trans Am WS.6 - Black on Black - 6 Speed
        SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
        17K Miles

2005 Acura TL - Silver on Black
        Navigation - Surround Audio - Bluetooth

Comment

Since we are on the subject... Whats the proper procedure for storing it. This will be the first year that I store my car. I didnt drive my car last winter, but it was sitting outside. This year I am going to rent a garage for 3-4 months. Anything special I should do? I was already planning on storing it with almost NO gas in the tank & adding the gas stabilizer. Anything else?
          No F-Body right now

Comment

Our "toy" cars go into winter hibernation usually in the middle of September. Whenever the outage season starts and I have to hit the road that's when they get a final wash and a full tank of gas. In the past I used to take the batteries out but lately I've become lazy and just disconnected them.

They are covered in the garage and in the past I've taken them out periodically during the winter and start them and take them around the block if the conditions permit and let them warm up. Last winter I didn't even get to that.
            97 Trans Am A4 more or less stock (Mods: WS6 Ram Air with Fernco & K&N, 12 disc CD changer, power antenna, SLP Fan Switch, LS1 Aluminum DS, Borla Cat back, McCord power plate, Spohn tower brace, Sirius, HID fog lights)

1and1 Web Hosting

Comment

Originally posted by Mark B
              Since we are on the subject... Whats the proper procedure for storing it. This will be the first year that I store my car. I didnt drive my car last winter, but it was sitting outside. This year I am going to rent a garage for 3-4 months. Anything special I should do? I was already planning on storing it with almost NO gas in the tank & adding the gas stabilizer. Anything else?
              First, I would fill up the tank... Not store it empty. I use stabilizer even though I fire her up twice a month.

Second, there are a couple schools of thought on this, but some people like to put steel wheels with crappy tires on the car to avoid flat-spotting the good tires. Ken would be able to confirm if this is just an urban myth. I never bother because 3-4 months isn't a real long time, and I roll my car down the driveway and back a few times a winter anyway.

Third, just make sure whatever cover you are using indoors is breathable. Most are. I bought an indoor/outdoor California Car Cover. Sounds a bit crazy, but the reason I got one rated for both is two years ago, we had a pipe leak all over my truck in the garage. It was rusty water to boot. Now that the T/A is taking up residence in there, I just don't want to take a chance.

As others have stated, disconnecting the battery is a good choice as well. If it's in a garage with little to no heat, remove it and store the battery somewhere warmer.
              SOLD: 2002 Trans Am WS.6 - Black on Black - 6 Speed
              SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
              17K Miles

2005 Acura TL - Silver on Black
              Navigation - Surround Audio - Bluetooth

Comment

Originally posted by Rhode Island Red
                You Southern no-snow people can go suck a lemon
                I was just going to say, winter is when my favorite f-body comes out of the garage.

Comment

But driving my Z in Dec. is the best time to drive it
                  Steve
                  79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
                  87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
                  93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
                  http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

cold temps = more horsepower = more fun
                    2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff 95 Z28
                      cold temps = more horsepower = more fun
                      Eeeeeexactly
                      Steve
                      79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
                      87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
                      93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
                      http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

well i get a few days of heavy snow here but she's my daily driver So she'll see all of what mother nature can throw at her.
                        2006 Saturn Ion Redline
                        2003 Mits. Eclipse Spyder

Comment

I like sucking lemons in December with the T tops off.
                          Blazer

Comment

Lemons Suck!!!
                            I like to do this
                            Greg W. in West Michigan
                            1992 Formula WS6-A/R Rims, Stock L05 swap, Former Abuse Victim
                            1983 Z28-Parts car- *Sold*
                            1984 Z28-305 HO Auto *Sold*
                            1986 Camaro-V-6 5Spd *Sold*
                            1984 Camaro-V-6 Auto *Sold*
                            <Motor out

Comment

having a glass of lemonade as I type.

summer is my inactive season here as far as the SS is concerned. love driving the SS the other 8 months though.
                              Living in the pools, They soon forget about the sea...— Rush, "Natural Science" (1980)

Formerly "gauSSian" from my f-body days.

Comment

Working...
                              X