Please Steal My Wheels?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please Steal My Wheels?

I was polishing my rims today and when I was on my rear right tire, I noticed that 2 of my lug nuts were missing. I normally wouldn't be suspicious, but I just had new tires put on a month ago, so they should have been tightened properly.

The thing that bugs me is that 2 lugnuts right next to each other are gone. You're not even supposed to take them off in a circle are you? Isn't it supposed to be in a star form?

Do you guys think that somebody tried to jack my rims?

I have a proximity alarm and if you stand by my car for more than like 10 seconds it usually chirps at you and if you don't move than it goes off after like 30 seconds.
    http://www.cardomain.com/id/Iceslim0

Yeah so I went to discount tire and the dude liked my car so he gave me 2 free lugs and put them on. He said there was no way that they came off on their own. He said my whole wheel setup is worth over 2k so somebody probably did try to take them.

Comment

Are they aluminum rims? If so, they have to be torqued to 90-100 ft. lbs. and then rechecked after about 100 miles (rim shops usually don't tell you that). I've had one back out on me before because I forgot to recheck them, so yes, they will do that. Now, I torque them myself with my own torque wrench when they are installed, then again at 50 miles, then again at 100-150 miles. From then on, they're fine.
      "No, officer, that bottle is my onboard Halon system"

Comment

Aluminum-alloy wheels (most factory and aftermarket wheels) respond to compression from tightening the lug nuts just the same as steel wheels do. Because of this, the only determining factor in proper lug nut torque specs is the lug stud diameter.

We have 7/16" lug studs which only require 65-75 ft/lbs, nothing more.

But like MN6 said, the lug nuts need to be re-torqued a few times after the initial tightening when the wheel is installed

Now when you get into "virgin" aluminum racing wheels then there is a slightly different lug tightening procedure.

Comment

Originally posted by fastTA
          Aluminum-alloy wheels (most factory and aftermarket wheels) respond to compression from tightening the lug nuts just the same as steel wheels do. Because of this, the only determining factor in proper lug nut torque specs is the lug stud diameter.

We have 7/16" lug studs which only require 65-75 ft/lbs, nothing more.

But like MN6 said, the lug nuts need to be re-torqued a few times after the initial tightening when the wheel is installed

Now when you get into "virgin" aluminum racing wheels then there is a slightly different lug tightening procedure.
          One little problem with that...factory spec is 100 ft./lbs.
          Steve
          79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
          87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
          93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
          http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

Originally posted by Steve93Z
            One little problem with that...factory spec is 100 ft./lbs.
            And I told you what I though about that.....

Comment

Originally posted by Iceslim0
              Yeah so I went to discount tire and the dude liked my car so he gave me 2 free lugs and put them on. He said there was no way that they came off on their own. He said my whole wheel setup is worth over 2k so somebody probably did try to take them.
              Wheel locks. That's why they make 'em.

Comment

I have wheels locks on my V6, but they won't fit my trans because the rims are Mag. I had the dude at discount tighten them all up again and I think a couple of them gave a bit. I'm still paranoid about a wheel thief

Comment

Originally posted by Iceslim0
                  I have wheels locks on my V6, but they won't fit my trans because the rims are Mag. I had the dude at discount tighten them all up again and I think a couple of them gave a bit. I'm still paranoid about a wheel thief
                  Um.... psssstttt........they make aftermarket locks for all types of wheels.

Comment

Working...
                  X