Z06 update

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Z06 update

my Z06 came off the line on Tue., and now goes into a two-week holding period for quality control. All the paperwork came in today and I have an appointment with my salesman for next Wednesday to take care of everything I need to present in BG. I wanted one last weekend with the SS LE as the weather's supposed to be nice. I'm taking the easy way out, although not the most cost effective. I'm gonna trade the SS, and the salesman assured me they would consider all the positives and make me the best offer they can. If I don't like it, I'll sell it through other means. Hope she goes to a good home.

I'm scheduled for museum delivery Fri., Oct. 6 at 11:15 am and will be taking my 13 year-old nephew Brian for hopefully lifelong memories. I've requested Ron Barton as our tour guide, as many on corvetteforum say he's one of the best. I can't wait to see Brian's face when he sees his name in lights in front of the museum and on the display for our Z.

We're staying at the Hampton Inn 6 miles to the south of the museum on I-65 the nights of the 5th and 6th. Brian will be missing two days of school, but I told him before the school year started that he had to have a 3.0+ GPA before I would even ask his mom to excuse him from school for this trip and he came through with a 3.375.

My mother grew up about 50 or so miles west of Bowling Green in Beech Creek and I plan to show Brian where his greatgrandmother raised his grandmother. I hope they haven't turned it into a mall or a pizzaria.

I went with a local car carrier, highly recommended by a close friend of mine. A buddy of his recently began a car carrier business and has the perfect trailer for loading cars that sit low as he has a couple of track dedicated Mustangs he's always racing. He's coming out in a few days to show me everything he will be using and will explain how everything will work. I told him there'd be a 15% gratuity for an incident free delivery. Brian and I will take her on her inaugural drive on Sunday, Oct. 8, weather permitting.

My lessons to learn to drive stick are going pretty well. I went out twice today in a friend's 5 speed Cummins Dodge 250 pickup. Been working a lot on taking off from an uphill incline, such as we have around here. Next lesson is stop and go traffic. Even though my tutors say I am improving, I still feel like I have to think about every single move I make. Practice, practice, practice. LOL, as a student of algebra I looked longingly at the calculus problems...right now heel-toe technique is calculus.

It's a b!tch finally learning to drive at the age of 42. I've even been having the dream where you show up to school in your dirty underwear on the day of the final, and not only didn't you study, you have no pencil or paper either. LOL, well I'm on a crusade now, I want all the kids in my extended family to learn this skill if they haven't already. I kinda feel like someone who made it through childhood without learning to ride a bike (that I thankfully did learn as a child). But, as they say, better late than never.
    Living in the pools, They soon forget about the sea...— Rush, "Natural Science" (1980)

Formerly "gauSSian" from my f-body days.

You'll pick up on driving a stick in no time. I remember when I first got my license and my mom and I were looking for my first vehicle (which, as it turned out, was my Jeep ). I specifically remember saying, "I don't want a stickshift car. There's no need for them, automatics are much better today." Now look at what I drive lol . The best advice I can offer you is to not think about it, just do it. Yeah, you'll still kill it every once in a while, or like I do sometimes, get to shift-happy and grind a gear (3rd) because you're trying to pull off a quick-shift and end up letting the clutch out too early lol. It'll become second nature before you know it .

Oh, and, don't sell the Camaro!!!! lol Sorry, had to say it . Enjoy the new Z06
    Steve
    79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
    87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
    93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
    http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

Sounds like quite an affair to celebrate! Way cool

I like the Z06, but I'm holding out for a Blue Devil

Comment

I picked up my current car, and also my first stick shift, just about a year ago. I literally learned to drive it on the way home. Sure I was pretty shakey, especially on hills, but it worked out fine.

I really enjoy it. Even with the traffic around the D.C. area. Sure you're going to stall it a couple times but doesn't everyone? With all that torque though, I'm sure you'll have it easier than most. Next thing you know you'll be blasting down a back road rowing gears with a big smile on your face!
        Joe K.
        '11 BMW 328i
        '10 Matrix S AWD
        Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

certainly an awesome event to remember, Mark. God's speed.

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
          Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
          sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

Working...
          X