No announcement yet.

Ken... Getting a rescued Golden pup.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are Goldens as stubborn as Irish Setters? Our last Irish Setter, Colin, was one of the smartest dogs I've ever known, yet he was also the most stubborn. Many people confuse these types of dogs as being "big, dumb, and loyal". I've never thought of them as being dumb. Not even close. Just set in their ways.

Are the females generally easier or harder to train than male Goldens, Ken? I've heard that with most dogs, but I always chalk it up to being an urban myth.
    SOLD: 2002 Trans Am WS.6 - Black on Black - 6 Speed
    SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
    17K Miles

2005 Acura TL - Silver on Black
    Navigation - Surround Audio - Bluetooth

Comment

Originally posted by 02 WS6
      Are Goldens as stubborn as Irish Setters? Our last Irish Setter, Colin, was one of the smartest dogs I've ever known, yet he was also the most stubborn. Many people confuse these types of dogs as being "big, dumb, and loyal". I've never thought of them as being dumb. Not even close. Just set in their ways.

Are the females generally easier or harder to train than male Goldens, Ken? I've heard that with most dogs, but I always chalk it up to being an urban myth.
      all three of our goldens are smart as ive ever seen a dog... not a wolfdog....cause they are so smart its scary.. but these goldies are very smart. we noticed no diff i training between the males and females... in fact, i think Shelby is easier...

what you are faced with is females fighting eachother..they tend to get the b*tch#ies much worse than males.

i think people jump to quick on stereotyping a breed of dogs because of behaviour they have expeirenced with a couple or have heard of. dogs are as different as people... and even siblings can be totally opposite from eachother...this is especially true with wolfdogs...depending on the amout of dog genes vs wolf genes... . there are certain salient characteristics of a breed.... and the one that goldens have is that they get along with most other dogs and they love people... yet.. now and then...a bad apple turns up..but not as often as with other breeds.

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
      Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
      sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

Originally posted by wolfdogs
        the duck is a hoot...thats the one that quaks, right? our female loves that one. Rocky..our 5 yr old chews em up though...so we have to segregate him when its woobietime...LOL
        Umm Im not sure about the duck quaking I havent personaly seen it, my sister emails me pics of Chipper since im at school. But a good majority of his woobies do squeek and he just loves it. Chipper doesnt really chew them up and demolish them he kinda just chews on them softly to make them squeak but over time they just get disgusting and we throw them out and get some new ones. He also loves his bandana's we literaly have probably around 100 and I change it daily when im home.
        1996 Trans Am:T-tops,graphite leather,16" chrome T/A rims, Nitto's, Descreened MAF, Morosso CAI, hypertech, flowtech cut out, 1LE elbow, Silver BMR tubular SFC's, 160 thermo, limo tint, harwood ws6 hood, !side molding, Stage 2 trans.

Looking for a driver side window.

Comment

Originally posted by 02 WS6
          This just kind of came out of nowhere. I've always wanted another big dog (I grew up with Irish Setters). We have two Jack Russell Terriers... a brother/sister pair we got seven years ago. They get along great with other dogs as I've had them around my brother's and cousin's dogs since they were pups.

Anyway... I wasn't actively searching for another dog. If I found one, it had to be a Golden, Lab, or Setter of some type. Big, but not huge. I certainly wasn't going to buy one from a breeder. I wanted a rescued dog only.

So, my son is 2. He goes to a woman's house twice a week for daycare. She happens to have three Golden's. All three were rescued dogs at one time or another. Anyway, she got a call a few weeks ago that a litter of four was found in a dog crate at some Salvation Army drop-off site in New Hampshire. The dogs were only two weeks old.

She ended up taking in all four (2 male, 2 female). They are now 6 weeks old, and she found homes for 3 out of the 4. One female remains un-spoken for. My wife called me last night from the daycare and asked if I was interested. I went and saw her. I couldn't say no after hearing the story and seeing the dog.

We're picking her up next Friday when she's ready to go. She's already paper, crate, and leash trained. Any advice on Golden Retrievers? I've only had Setters which I understand are very similar in personality.
          I have always though Jack Russel Terriers were super cool. I haven't met to many in person, but all of the one's you see in the movies seem to be wicked intelligent and have really cool persoanlities. I have also read that they are very loyal as well.

I thought about looking for one as a buddy for my current dog.

Comment

Originally posted by fastTA
            I have always though Jack Russel Terriers were super cool. I haven't met to many in person, but all of the one's you see in the movies seem to be wicked intelligent and have really cool persoanlities. I have also read that they are very loyal as well.

I thought about looking for one as a buddy for my current dog.
            Jack Russell's are very loyal dogs. They are great with kids as long as you have them around from pups.

The one thing about Jack Russells is their unlimited energy. They are extremely energetic dogs. Even when they grow old, they never seem to stop. Great dogs though.
            SOLD: 2002 Trans Am WS.6 - Black on Black - 6 Speed
            SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
            17K Miles

2005 Acura TL - Silver on Black
            Navigation - Surround Audio - Bluetooth

Comment

Working...
            X