Respect!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Respect!

My family has a place up in northern Wisconsin on a lake. We have a couple boats. One is a older pontoon boat with a mercury 25hp outboard motor on it.

It has been running like crap. It would run fine for a while, then it would just go south and barely run. My inlaws and I were getting sick of dealing with it.

I tore into it and started troubleshooting. The boat was at the pier in the water so it was a fun balancing act trying my best not to fall in the water.

I pulled the plugs after running it briefly and noticed one was cold, the other was hot. The cold one was also very fouled out. I put new plugs in it and the same thing happenned. One was cold, the other warm. So it was running on one cylinder (the top one) and the problem was not the plugs. So, next I swapped the coils and plug wires from top to bottom. The problem didn't change, the bottom cylinder was still cold.

Conclusion: the ICM was not firing the bottom cylinder. I know the coil is good, the plug and wire are good and it is getting fuel. I also know it has good compression because I stuck my thumb over the hole and gave the rope a pull.

I yanked the ICM off, gave it to my brother in law and showed him how to reinstall the new one, when he gets it.

He picked up a new ICM, installed it and the boat runs perfectly now. Gosh, I'm good! The new (used actually because brand new ones are over $200) ICM was $80, so he called me before he bought it asking me if I was absolutely sure that was the problem. I told him I was sure, man was he impressed when it turned out I was right.
    Tracy
    2002 C5 M6 Convertible
    1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
    Current Mods:
    SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Don't you just love it when that happens? Congrats!

I've done carpentry for several years. I actually used to do it for a living up until I injured both knees.

I was at a new construction house, and the GC couldn't figure out why a set of sliding glass doors wouldn't line up. Him and my boss at the time were racking their brains for an hour on this issue. At the time, I had been with this company all of two months. I looked at the floor and noticed a high spot in the new hardwood. I threw my 6' level on the floor, and sure enough... It needed to be sanded down.

It's agreat feeling when you "beat" a problem like that.
    SOLD: 2002 Trans Am WS.6 - Black on Black - 6 Speed
    SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
    17K Miles

2005 Acura TL - Silver on Black
    Navigation - Surround Audio - Bluetooth

Comment

and your point is?

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
      Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
      sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

Originally posted by wolfdogs
        and your point is?

It's better to be lucky than good.
        2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff 95 Z28
          It's better to be lucky than good.
          No, no... I'm GOOD! there was no "luck" involved.
          Tracy
          2002 C5 M6 Convertible
          1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
          Current Mods:
          SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

You're a smart guy, no doubt about it. Modest, too!

Comment

Working...
            X