5th Gen news from Saleen

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5th Gen news from Saleen

Read through...there's some surprising news at the end!!
    http://www.roadandtrack.com/idealbb/...?topicID=13027

Car Crazy: Are you going to bump up the horsepower on your Saleen Mustang cars when Ford adds horsepower in 2009?

Steve Saleen: Yes we are, I just talked to Alan Mulally (Ford Motor Co. Chief Executive) about the 2009 facelift year and what kind of added power the GT and Cobra will get.

CC: What kind of added power did he talk about for the 09 model year?
    Saleen: Nothing extreme, it's only a facelift year, but enough to make my current engine upgrades obsolete. They're aiming for 350 horsepower out of the V8 in the GT, and they're only adding about ten or fifteen horsepower to the GT500.

CC: Can you give us an idea of what you'll do to for your Saleen models?

Saleen: We don't know yet exactly, but we've had many meetings on what we want. We're aiming to get around 385 horsepower out of the S281 3 Valve with around 390 lb-ft of torque. The S281 Supercharged model will get 500 horses even with around 460 lb-ft of torque, and expect about a fifteen horsepower increase on the (S281) Extreme Mustang over the 2007 model (that's 565 horsepower and 535 lb-ft of torque).

CC: That's a big power increase on all cars, are the prices going to change?

Saleen: Not counting inflation, the prices should stay the same.

CC: Are the rumors of you teaming up with GM true or false?
    Saleen: My team just worked with GM last month on the Transformers movie. We had such a good relationship with them that we are infact going to team up with them on future projects?

CC: What future projects?

Saleen: Well the Camaro project is one of them, I've watched from a distance while they've been putting the production model together. I think it would be foolish on our part if we didn't get a part of that action (Steve laughs).

CC: So are you going to do your own versions of the new Camaro?

Saleen: It's not legally official right now, but that's what we're hoping for.

CC: What kind of upgrades will you make, have you seen the engine GM is using in the Camaro?

Saleen: I hope I don't get in trouble with GM for saying this, but they're using a 6.2 liter 450 horsepower engine for the premium V8 in the 2009 Camaro and the base Corvette. The base V8 will probably be a detuned version of the same 6.2. So we'll just upgrade the 6.2 liter V8 to Saleen level specifications. We're going to upgrade the 6.2 liter V8 if we're given the legal chance by GM. Our base model should have around 485 horsepower, and expect our Extreme Supercharged Camaro to have over 600 horsepower.
    Joe K.
    '11 BMW 328i
    '10 Matrix S AWD
    Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Ummmm, do I need to re-evaluate my position on Saleen now?
    Steve
    79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
    87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
    93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
    http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

Well now that hes spilled the beans on what GM is doing or possibly doing with the Camaro...they'll probably do everything they can to keep him away from it as punishment for ruining the surprise.
      LarryMow-93 V6 Firebird-No engine mods-Z06 Wheels, '98 Taillights,'98 Center Console-SLP fan switch-BMR STB, F/R Swaybars, PHB,LCA,Torque Arm, SFC, Bilsteins, Eibachs....www.cardomain.com/ride/2489691/1

Comment

Saleen has always been a phenomenal automotive engineering firm. Just look at the S7........2 words.......KICK ASS. It will be very interesting to see what they will do with the Camaro and Mustang in 2009.

I hope the Camaro is underrated at that 450 HP. They can get quite a bit more out of 378 cubes!

2009 is the 45th anniversary of the Mustang. In all of my car whoring, I have heard from quite a few sources that the 2009 Mustang GT will get the supercharged 5.4 liter 525 HP motor that is in the current GT500.

I love GM vs. Ford horsepower wars!

Comment

Originally posted by fastTa
          Saleen has always been a phonomenal automotive engineering firm. Just look at the S7........2 words.......KICK ASS.
          Eh, Mosler did a better job with their car, esp. if you compare costs between the 2. The S7 does look good and has a more liveable interior, but I don't feel the performance was there for the cost vs. some of the competitors. Just my thoughts.
          Steve

Comment

GM folks have also hinted that there are going to be 3 engines in this car. If the top of the line is 450 HP I wonder what the mid-range V8 will be. A number of sources have confirmed that neither the 5.3L V8 (LS3 I think) nor the LS2 will go into Camaro. It'll be something else.

And, oh, on a side note in case anyone is interested, Cobalt SS may get a turbocharger for 2008.
            Joe K.
            '11 BMW 328i
            '10 Matrix S AWD
            Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

3 models: 300 hp supercharged v-6 (RS) 450 hp 6.2 v8 (z28) 600 hp supercharged 6.2 v8 (SS) .....and maybe a plain v6 for those people who just want to look cool

I think that would be a bad ass lineup....but dont quote me, i'm just fantisizing over here.
              2006 Saturn Ion Redline
              2003 Mits. Eclipse Spyder

Comment

I'd prefer that they make a Camaro/Firebird thats affordable for the working Joe such as myself. At least that way I can afford to buy a low end version and save up $$$ to V8 it later in case they decide to kill it again.
                LarryMow-93 V6 Firebird-No engine mods-Z06 Wheels, '98 Taillights,'98 Center Console-SLP fan switch-BMR STB, F/R Swaybars, PHB,LCA,Torque Arm, SFC, Bilsteins, Eibachs....www.cardomain.com/ride/2489691/1

Comment

Originally posted by LarryMow
                  I'd prefer that they make a Camaro/Firebird thats affordable for the working Joe such as myself.
                  I don't think you'll find to many stripper V8 models...especially in the premium model. That was the case in the 4th gen. Dealerships mostly stocked loaded Z28's.

That said, the phrase "at a Chevy price" has been used repeatedly by Scott Settlemeyer. Also, it will have to compete with Mustang. So for now, you can use the Stang GT price as a measuring stick for what the mid-range Camaro V8 will come in at.
                  Joe K.
                  '11 BMW 328i
                  '10 Matrix S AWD

Comment

Originally posted by Z Ya Later
                    Eh, Mosler did a better job with their car, esp. if you compare costs between the 2. The S7 does look good and has a more liveable interior, but I don't feel the performance was there for the cost vs. some of the competitors. Just my thoughts.
                    You are not comparing a 485 HP LS1 wrapped in a road race car shell to a 1000 HP 230+ MPH supercar are you? That 750 HP rating on the S7 is DRASTICALLY underrated. Most reports show it is actually closer to 1000. Make a few little tweaks to the waste gate and BOV and you have even a few more 100 HP. Those two cars aren't even in the same league!

They had a S7 at the last Dallas Auto Show. It is truly a beautifully engineered sports car. The interior, fit and finish, and overall design is amazing. The Mosler is a very rough, kinda plain race car shell with a mildly modified LS1 stuffed into it.

Now do I think the 560k price tage is a bit much, but then again in the realm of supercars it is one of the best bangs for the buck.

Comment

You are not comparing a 485 HP LS1 wrapped in a road race car shell to a 1000 HP 230+ MPH supercar are you? That 750 HP rating on the S7 is DRASTICALLY underrated. Most reports show it is actually closer to 1000. Make a few little tweaks to the waste gate and BOV and you have even a few more 100 HP. Those two cars aren't even in the same league!
                      Well, first off, the MT900S is an LS6 car standard, not an LS1 (same for the Photon). Obviously it can be equipped with an LS1, or any motor for that matter according to Mosler. But, the standard and as-tested motor is the LS6. Second, I was referring to the NA S7, not the TT S7. Do I smell that noob too you? lol

They had a S7 at the last Dallas Auto Show. It is truly a beautifully engineered sports car. The interior, fit and finish, and overall design is amazing. The Mosler is a very rough, kinda plain race car shell with a mildly modified LS1 stuffed into it.

Now do I think the 560k price tage is a bit much, but then again in the realm of supercars it is one of the best bangs for the buck.
                      As I said, the S7 does have a better fit and finish. But, there's no way I could justify the cost for either vs. the MT900. Just my 0.02.
                      Steve

Comment

I was comparing the best of the two, that's the only way , and the 900R comes standard with an LS1.

The only other production cars less than 4 years old that are even remotely close in performance to the S7 are the Ferrari Enzo, Pagani Zonda C12F, Bugatti Veyron, and Koenigsegg CCX and they are all at least 150k-500k more than the S7. That makes the S7 relatively inexpensive in the supercar world...........if you can afford that kind of thing.

Actually you know what is a pretty good performer for the money is the 2006 Hennesey Venom 1000 Twin Turbo SRT Coupe at 225k. Supposed to only be 24 made this year.

I'd still rather have a C6 Z06......with just a few grocery gettin' mods of course.

Comment

I was comparing the best of the two, that's the only way , and the 900R comes standard with an LS1.

The only other production cars less than 4 years old that are even remotely close in performance to the S7 are the Ferrari Enzo, Pagani Zonda C12F, Bugatti Veyron, and Koenigsegg CCX and they are all at least 150k-500k more than the S7. That makes the S7 relatively inexpensive in the supercar world...........if you can afford that kind of thing.

Actually you know what is a pretty good performer for the money is the 2006 Hennesey Venom 1000 Twin Turbo SRT Coupe at 225k. Supposed to only be 24 made this year.

I'd still rather have a C6 Z06......with just a few grocery gettin' mods of course.
                          Ok, but you're still comparing cars in different price ranges and classes. But, say you build an MT900S with, oh say, a tweaked, TT LS7. That would be a more even comparison .

In any case, any Hennessey Viper is definitely not something to be taken lightly. Yikes
                          Steve

Comment

All of us with 4th gens are going to be owned...
                            1996 Z-28 6 speed, Airfoil, K&N FIPK, Flowmaster muffler, Motive 3.73 gears, BBK shorty headers, cut-out, LS1 Driveshaft, no power options (Rare), Prothane tranny mount, MSD 8.5mm wires, Accel U-Groove Plugs, Chrome hurst short throw, TB Bypass, ES Torque arm mount, BMR subframe connectors (weld-in), Lt4 Knock Module, Descreened MAF, '02 SS wheels, Pioneer HU, MTX & JL amps, 2 12" JBL's, T-Top Conversion!

Comment

Originally posted by Z Ya Later
                              ....But, say you build an MT900S with, oh say, a tweaked, TT LS7. That would be a more even comparison .
                              You just proved my original point. That is there is no comparing the MT900R to the TT S7.

Stev-o........ are you sure you have had your Ensure today?

Send my rear cover, or I will have to get Craig to pull your man card!

Comment

Working...
                              X