2009 Impala --- RWD!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2009 Impala --- RWD!!

Impala's moving a bit upmarket and should be RWD for 2009!! Based on the Holden Commodore/Camaro architecture. Malibu will take it's current spot as large FWD Sedan.

http://autoextremist.com/page2.shtml#Rant
    Joe K.
    '11 BMW 328i
    '10 Matrix S AWD
    Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

That would be a welcome change. I miss my old Impy and wouldn't even consider one of the newer ones.

Comment

RWD is certainly a welcome change, however, I've been getting a sinking feeling that GM has been missing the boat lately. It just seems they are always a day or two behind the market. They used to be the ones who set the market, now they just play catch up.

Wouldn't the Impala be nice if it were offered as an AWD car as well? There is a big market for it, but it doesn't even seem to be an issue for them. Sure, GM has several lines of SUV's, both big and small. But some people just want a car. They usually buy an SUV simply because they require AWD. Audi and Subaru make their living off of this demographic. Even Ford has begun to notice, as the Fusion and Mercury Milan both offer AWD as an option.

I had several SUV's and trucks as daily drivers, but I missed driving a car. Hence, the TL... I just wish they offered the TL in AWD (it will have AWD in the 2009 redesign). I have to keep the Bravada because of it.

I'm not bashing GM. I'm a huge supporter of the General. I just want to see them flourish. It's not so much they build bad cars. Just the opposite. They have great cars and trucks. It's the missed opportunities that seem to hold them down.

I'll step off my soap box now.
      SOLD: 2002 Trans Am WS.6 - Black on Black - 6 Speed
      SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
      17K Miles

2005 Acura TL - Silver on Black
      Navigation - Surround Audio - Bluetooth

Comment

Originally posted by 02 WS6
        RWD is certainly a welcome change, however, I've been getting a sinking feeling that GM has been missing the boat lately. It just seems they are always a day or two behind the market. They used to be the ones who set the market, now they just play catch up.

Wouldn't the Impala be nice if it were offered as an AWD car as well? There is a big market for it, but it doesn't even seem to be an issue for them. Sure, GM has several lines of SUV's, both big and small. But some people just want a car. They usually buy an SUV simply because they require AWD. Audi and Subaru make their living off of this demographic. Even Ford has begun to notice, as the Fusion and Mercury Milan both offer AWD as an option.

I had several SUV's and trucks as daily drivers, but I missed driving a car. Hence, the TL... I just wish they offered the TL in AWD (it will have AWD in the 2009 redesign). I have to keep the Bravada because of it.

I'm not bashing GM. I'm a huge supporter of the General. I just want to see them flourish. It's not so much they build bad cars. Just the opposite. They have great cars and trucks. It's the missed opportunities that seem to hold them down.

I'll step off my soap box now.
        It's because it takes too long to get things done. They are so breaucratic and it hurts them. The bean counters wouldn't even consider an AWD version because it's too expensive and probably think the market isn't viable enough to push a production version. They are too scared to stick their necks out. They've been doing better about getting things to market quicker...but for as of now, they are doing the rights things...slowly getting back the market share...safely.

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
        Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
        B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
        Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
        Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

Originally posted by Christopherrr
          It's because it takes too long to get things done. They are so breaucratic and hurts them. The bean counters wouldn't even consider an AWD because it's too expensive and probably think the market isn't viable enough to push a production version. They are too scared to stick their necks out. THey've been doing better about getting things to market quicker...but for as of now, they are doing the rights things...slowly getting back the market share.
          I highlighted the smartest thing I've read about GM in a long time. You hit the nail squarely on the head.

GM waited to get nice interiors in their cars (as far as QC is concerned). My wife's '06 HHR uses quality materials, plus the fit and finish is solid. Why did it take so long? In fact, several of the new GM's I've looked at had awesome interiors. The lines were consistant. The material didn't look cheap. There were even a few nice features included.

If they think there's not enough market for AWD cars, they need to look no further than Subaru. Even in warm climates, they could sell the AWD based on handling and "wet weather" traction. I don't know... Maybe it's just not a direction they feel is necessary to get them back on track. I just wish they would take the chance.
          SOLD: 2002 Trans Am WS.6 - Black on Black - 6 Speed
          SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
          17K Miles

2005 Acura TL - Silver on Black
          Navigation - Surround Audio - Bluetooth

Comment

mag rag.

wait till its real.

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
            Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
            sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

IMHO, Dodge and Ford are behind. GM started the Sporty Sedan with the 94 Impala SS. So maybe it was before its time and thats why it was only a 3 year deal.
              Greg W. in West Michigan
              1992 Formula WS6-A/R Rims, Stock L05 swap, Former Abuse Victim
              1983 Z28-Parts car- *Sold*
              1984 Z28-305 HO Auto *Sold*
              1986 Camaro-V-6 5Spd *Sold*
              1984 Camaro-V-6 Auto *Sold*
              <Motor out

Comment

The bureaucracy in a large corporation has to be a nightmare. Just look at anything the government does. I believe that is one of the main reasons the Japanese are taking over the auto market in this country. They actulally talk to each other, and work out problems together. They still make some ugly cars but this country buys them like crazy.

Comment

Working...
                X