I feel so ashamed, just got beat by a Ford

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I feel so ashamed, just got beat by a Ford

Well, I'm new here. I own a 93 Firebird Formula, real nice condition, only a few mods, and the other day I ran into this guy that had, what looked like a 99-04 Cobra, black, manual, looked nice (for a ford). Earlier in the week I had put 150lbs of salt in my trunk for winter driving, so I raced this guy from a stop to around 65mph. He was about on the end of my door until 45, then he shifted into 2 or 3rd, (not sure, sorry) he crept up and my front bumper was on his back bumper, stayed that way till 65. Made me sick to loose to a Ford. I could of won if it weren't for that stupid salt. Wish I had some pics of my car, but I'll just give you a discription. Has 89K miles, Dark green, 18" chrome rims, the back tires are a little thicker, so its up in the rear a little bit (not my idea, the previous owners, might be even faster if they were smaller), its an automatic, has flowmaster exhaust, been chipped, and has a K&N filter, thats pretty much it though. One of 3 third gen cars in my family, my dad, my brother both have 97 T/A convertibles.

You can also be embarrassed that you posted this in the tech forum instead of the off-topic forum.
    Rob B 95Z A4 Tech Page (Part numbers / locations, how to's, schematics, DTC's...) Home Page - shbox.com

Comment

Originally posted by envygreenbird
      ....One of 3 third gen cars in my family, my dad, my brother both have 97 T/A convertibles.
      Hey not to say anything bad but... your car is accually a forth gen.

And I wouldn't really wanna be the guy saying I could have one if...
      it just seems a little bit "honda" if you know what im saying.
      1990 Eagle talon TSI- daily driver

78' firebird formula -350/350- stock...now dead

Comment

What a way to welcome the new guy...
        Sorry to hear about your loss...One thing to remember is that there is always someone faster than you. Don't sweat it though, there are tons of go-fast parts to get you back in the game.
        Greg W. in West Michigan
        1992 Formula WS6-A/R Rims, Stock L05 swap, Former Abuse Victim
        1983 Z28-Parts car- *Sold*
        1984 Z28-305 HO Auto *Sold*
        1986 Camaro-V-6 5Spd *Sold*
        1984 Camaro-V-6 Auto *Sold*
        <Motor out

Comment

Sounds like you raced smart. Stop to 65 in a straight line. As long as it wasn't street racing, it's okay.

Those Cobras are nothing to laugh at. You should be happy you hung with him. I came very close to buying an '04 Cobra. Drove it several times. Let me tell you... Quick car.
          SOLD: 2002 Trans Am WS.6 - Black on Black - 6 Speed
          SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
          17K Miles

2005 Acura TL - Silver on Black
          Navigation - Surround Audio - Bluetooth

Comment

dont feel bad..with your mods and your model, that Cobra is faster than you from the get go...by a long shot.

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
            Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
            sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

Originally posted by 02 WS6
              Sounds like you raced smart. Stop to 65 in a straight line. As long as it wasn't street racing, it's okay.

Those Cobras are nothing to laugh at. You should be happy you hung with him. I came very close to buying an '04 Cobra. Drove it several times. Let me tell you... Quick car.

Had one stick to me like glue a few weeks back, and I've got mods. I caught him out of the hole but couldn't pull on him. We both shut down about 65 too. Quick cars!

Comment

Originally posted by Joe 1320
                Had one stick to me like glue a few weeks back, and I've got mods. I caught him out of the hole but couldn't pull on him. We both shut down about 65 too. Quick cars!
                Agreed, Joe. Very quick car. Ultimately, the price swayed me. It was a bit much for what I felt I was getting.

Still... I do like those Cobra's. The supercharger has a real nice whine to it.
                SOLD: 2002 Trans Am WS.6 - Black on Black - 6 Speed
                SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
                17K Miles

2005 Acura TL - Silver on Black
                Navigation - Surround Audio - Bluetooth

Comment

lol, didn't have time to proof read, can't believe I called my car a 3rd gen, I'm not that dumb. Yeah, I understand about the honda comment, but it would make you sick to if you had 150lbs in the back that you couldn't do anything about. The guy was really nice, even knew what engine I had in my car, there was no hard feelings, just a pleasure to see two nice cars race (something you can't say when a ricer tries to race you). I'm really not obsessed with being the fastest, just glad I can beat most (not quite all) mustangs and ricers, not to mention I like the look of my car a thousand times more. Thanks for all the comments guys!

Comment

Yeah the Cobras can be trouble. I've struggled with a few.

Now how about some pics!

2005 GTO, Quicksilver, 6-Speed, DynaTech LT's and thats it. 366.6 hp/366.7 tq last time I checked.
                    Sold-1995 Dark GreenTrans Am, Auto 63K. BBK Headers/off-road y-pipe/Hooker Exhaust/LPI CAI/Hypertech...need some money!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Blevyou know
                      Yeah the Cobras can be trouble. I've struggled with a few.

Now how about some pics!
                      stock up to current years, we (ls2 gto's) can take them... they hole shot us better, but once rolling we climb back... do a few mods...you never know, him or us.......LOL

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
                      Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
                      sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe 1320
                        Joe, I always wondered what mods you have on the 97, I havent been here long enough to see anything in your sig

SOLD 1995 Trans AM 6 Speed 68k Miles - Ram Air, Borla Cat-Back, AR TTII's, JL Audio W6v2 Stealthbox and 500/1 MonoBlock Amp, Alpine Component Speaker Systems

Comment

Originally posted by Jeanius
                          Joe, I always wondered what mods you have on the 97, I havent been here long enough to see anything in your sig
                          SLP ceramic headers, Random Tech high flow Y pipe, Mufflex 4" catback, LT4 Roller rockers and springs, LT4 knock module, MSD, plugs and wires, Airfoil, K&N filter, Fernco inlet tube, MADZ28 tune,March underdrive pulleys, Worked over 4l60E with upgraded internals, SLP 3.73 gears, 1LE driveshaft, full BMR rear suspension, Intrax springs, airbags, wheels, tires, etc.... the list of stuff seems to go on forever. What I have not done is changed the cam, and the heads are stock. It seems everywhere else has been messed with. I should come up with a detailed list.

Comment

There is always someone who is faster no matter how fast you are. When I had my Beretta I would still get my doors blown off sometimes, and that ran 153 mph in the 1/8th. Just think of it this way, for every thousand cars on the road you are quicker than 999 of them. Ocasionally you meet that one in a thousand. Losing to a Ford is no big deal, now losing to a rice car is bad news. I have never lost to a rice car at the track, but I sure have lost to some Fords.

Comment

True dat! Hey Joe, glad you like Fieros as well, used to have one myself. I'll get pics when I come home today.

Comment

Working...
                              X