Crap. The 93 Z blew a headgasket.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crap. The 93 Z blew a headgasket.

The girlfriend was driving the car to work, everything in the guage cluster lights up and the car dies. I get it towed back home, check it and there's no coolant. I fill it up, notice the coolant level sensor is unseated. I fix it, refill and fire it up.... pressue starts building almost blowing the lid off. Use the pressure tester and there was a rhythmic spike in the pressure timed with an exhaust event. That folks is the sign of a blown headgasket. Grrrr....

The 94 Camaro is down with broken EGR studs, that's a R&R of the manifold. Actually, I picked up a set of ceramic coated RKsport headers dirt cheap to swap in but it's sitting. Now the 93 Z blows the gasket and wouldn't you know it, the 97 T/A starts illuminating the brake light...... time for a master cylinder. Crap, it's all hitting at one time. Oh well, not the first time. I wasn't planning on Thanksgiving being a mechanical thrash session.

Hey, good luck with that. Since you're experienced you should not have a problem, unlike the 900 issues I had doing the gaskets. Just something you gotta do on a 13 year old car. Good luck and have a relaxing Thanksgiving dinner!

2002 Firehawk Sold

Comment

might as we rebuild the top end then, make it a lil more peppy even?
      2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

that really sucks. When my 78 Grand LeMans blew a head gasket, me and my dad double teamed the job and had the car completed over a weekend . OF course, it had lots of space, and much simpler setup than today's computer controlled engines.

What do you think caused the gasket to blow? I'm thinking age and time (reason for my 78's gasket to blow). While you're at it you're probably better off replacing both sides at once as this is better than getting the car on the road, and two weeks later, having the other head blow. While you're at it, inspect the engine's other gaskets also. Odds are they were all put on around the same time.
        Rhode Island Red *Lurker since 1997*

2002 Firehawk #0035/1503 !Cags | !Air | !PCV | Airborn-coated Kooks LT's | Powerbond UD Pulley | Custom Cam | Ported Oil pump | LS2 timing chain | Comp 918's | Hardened push rods | LSS | BMR STB | SLP Bolt-on SFC's | drill mod |TB Bypass | Ported TB | Custom Dyno tuning | 160* thermostat | LS7 Clutch
        Ordered: May 1, 2001 Built: June 1, 2001 Delivered August 25, 2001
        pics and info

Comment

That is not what you wanted for Thanksgiving weekend, I'm sure.

At least you are a capable mechanic. Imagine paying someone for all three cars to be fixed? That should make you feel somewhat better.... Somewhat.
          SOLD: 2002 Trans Am WS.6 - Black on Black - 6 Speed
          SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
          17K Miles

2005 Acura TL - Silver on Black
          Navigation - Surround Audio - Bluetooth

Comment

long as YOU dont blow one.........the car can be fixed

go git er done.........

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
            Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
            sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

If it breaks... Build it faster!!!
              No F-Body right now

Comment

Welp.......

I think the thanksgiving mechanical thrash is going to be the ceramic coated headers for the 94, at least I know I should be able to bang that out in an afternoon without much fuss. The headgaskets on the 93 would take me about 10hrs and I'm not going to spend thanksgiving doing that. I'll just pull the 93 into the garage and take care of it in stages. Project 93 will likely stay stock. I wasn't planning on getting wild with it, the intent was for the car to be a budget cruiser with good highway gas mileage. At least I can fix the cold start exhaust leak on the passenger side. It would seal up fine when the exhaust got warm, just a slight tick when cold.

The 94 Camaro has turned out to be such a jewel. It's a 3.4 5 speed, 3.42 posi rear and disks, 1LE driveshaft, KYB shocks, 1LE springs and swaybars, SLP cold air intake, borla, and soon the headers. It pulls decent for a V6 but handles like an autocross champion. The weight distribution combined with the suspension makes this haul through the corners. The grip with 285/40/17s on all four corners is amazing considering it has a solid rear. I can consistantly negotiate a series of S corners at 2-3 MPH faster in this car than in my WS6 using the same wheels and tires. No power windows, no power locks, no t-tops, no power seats..... a real lightweight stripper. Cheap insurance and 28 mpg.

I suppose this is a blessing in disguise. I get to take time off work, spend it with family as well as twisting wrenches doing something that we love. Life is what you make of it, and life is great.

Comment

Seems like a common problem for the LT1, thats the main reason that I did a rebuild on mine. Its a good time to add some speed parts.

Comment

how many miles on that lt-1 that blew a head gasket? I got 74k on mine
                    1997 Pontiac For Sale: Comp T/A, silver, 6-speed, T-Tops,
                    Eibach Sportline 2" lowering springs, K&N filter, 5% limo tints
                    Airfoil, Hypertech Programmer III, 3.73 w/Eaton diff

Comment

Originally posted by Shockwav86
                      how many miles on that lt-1 that blew a head gasket? I got 74k on mine
                      I have double that.

Comment

On my 6 it went at 128 grand...

2002 Firehawk Sold

Comment

Originally posted by '94 White Devil
                          On my 6 it went at 128 grand...
                          And yet my 94 has over 170K and still runs great. Never been opened up.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe 1320
                            And yet my 94 has over 170K and still runs great. Never been opened up.
                            And I bet you took really good care of it. Mine was abused like you wouldn't beleive
                            But it looks really good since I started nursing it back to health!

2002 Firehawk Sold

Comment

Working...
                            X