How to Make an F Body Really "Fly"!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to Make an F Body Really "Fly"!

As I was going thru some photos from EAA Oshkosh I came across this plane....well, the owner is a licensed aircraft mechanic and he invented an adaptor to be able to put a Chevy V8 into a single-engine plane! its called a propeller Speed Reduction Unit and it goes in the front, so instead of the engine turning a fan it turns a prop. He claims that he can modify it to accomodate many engines, including V6's and Ford 302 V8's. His plane has put about 450 hours testing on the system, using a 400 c.i.d chevy small-block V8. He can do an impressive climb rate, and cruise at 175 knots. I wonder, though, how do you adapt these engines from water cooled to air cooled? I don't see a radiator. What a neat concept though!

here is his website:
    http://www.geareddrives.com/

Bruce
    Bruce
    01 Camaro

Really neat site, cool find
    1989 Camaro IROC-Z 5.0 TPI Auto (Away For Winter)
    -Flowmaster With 3 Inch SS Tips
    1989 Plymouth Reliant 2.5 TBI Auto
    -65,000 Original KM And No Rust Beater

Comment

Originally posted by 01Y87
      I wonder, though, how do you adapt these engines from water cooled to air cooled? I don't see a radiator. What a neat concept though!
      Just 'cause you can't see the radiator doesn't mean it isn't there. Even with a radiator auto conversions still have problems with cooling, most will add an oil cooler also.

'87 Camaro - 2.8L MPFI, 700R4 swapped to T5, B&M Ripper Shifter, Dynomax Super Turbo muffler, CATCO high flow cat, K&N air filters, 180 degree thermostat w/200-180 fan switch, 3.42 rear end, Global West steering brace, polyurethane bushings/trans mount, Spohn adjustable torque arm.
      '88 Formula (stolen), '96 Camaro RS, (sold), '91 Firebird (sold),
      Bruce, μολων λαβέ

Comment

Working...
      X