snowmoble help!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• snowmoble help!

Hey guys, I recently was given a 1979 arctic cat el tigre with 1200 miles on it. I tore it al apart and cleaned everything. Both cylinders read 150 psi, and i filled it up with new gas. The guy told me it was messed up and would idle but nly ran on one cylinder. Sure enough I got the same thing. So I researched and found that another guy had the same problem and it was the CDI box. Luckily he had anohter motor sitting around with an old cdi. I plugged it in in and the sled fired up and sounded great.

So today I started up and ran it on a stand until it got warm, then i set the idles and tuned it. Then when it was at idle it started to stumble and now does the same thing the other cdi does. Runs on one cylinder and bogs.

Both cdi's had cracking on their underside seals which could allow moisture. But im wondering what else could make the Cdi's go bad. I dont want to spend 50 on a new one and have it die 10 min later. If anyone has any ideas to as of why the CDI's are crapping ou please let me know!

Thanks guys!
    1996 Z-28 6 speed, Airfoil, K&N FIPK, Flowmaster muffler, Motive 3.73 gears, BBK shorty headers, cut-out, LS1 Driveshaft, no power options (Rare), Prothane tranny mount, MSD 8.5mm wires, Accel U-Groove Plugs, Chrome hurst short throw, TB Bypass, ES Torque arm mount, BMR subframe connectors (weld-in), Lt4 Knock Module, Descreened MAF, '02 SS wheels, Pioneer HU, MTX & JL amps, 2 12" JBL's, T-Top Conversion!

I'd poke around on one if the sled boards around and see if you can fine any info. It sure sounds like the second CDI went bad.. A lond standing dealer might be able to help. Go talk to the techs and they'll usally tell you what they think and if the new part is a better design..

Good luck
    2005 GTO (mine) K&N CAI and Magnaflow exhaust, drilled and slotted rotors, and other minor mods.
    1994 Formula (mine) SOLD 6-23-08 Still miss it
    2002 V6 Firebird (wifes)
    2013 GMC Sierra (mine)
    2011 Cadillac CTS4 (wifes)

Comment

Lose the sh*tty kitty and get yourself a Polaris.

It's guys like you on their cats that need us Polaris guys to tow your asses home after your junk breaks down. LOL.
      Tracy
      2002 C5 M6 Convertible
      1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
      Current Mods:
      SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

They are ALL junk...But I never see 1979 Polaris sleds around...Wonder Why....
        Greg W. in West Michigan
        1992 Formula WS6-A/R Rims, Stock L05 swap, Former Abuse Victim
        1983 Z28-Parts car- *Sold*
        1984 Z28-305 HO Auto *Sold*
        1986 Camaro-V-6 5Spd *Sold*
        1984 Camaro-V-6 Auto *Sold*
        <Motor out

Comment

haha, It was free guys.

Anyways, I replaced the stator and it runs great! This sled is around 75-80 hp. Im just hoping for snow this season.
          1996 Z-28 6 speed, Airfoil, K&N FIPK, Flowmaster muffler, Motive 3.73 gears, BBK shorty headers, cut-out, LS1 Driveshaft, no power options (Rare), Prothane tranny mount, MSD 8.5mm wires, Accel U-Groove Plugs, Chrome hurst short throw, TB Bypass, ES Torque arm mount, BMR subframe connectors (weld-in), Lt4 Knock Module, Descreened MAF, '02 SS wheels, Pioneer HU, MTX & JL amps, 2 12" JBL's, T-Top Conversion!

Comment

I am glad to hear it worked out for ya...My dad has a couple of old Eltigre Snowmobiles...Aren't those the ones with 4 spark plugs for 2 Cylinders?
            Greg W. in West Michigan
            <Motor out

Comment

This one has the suzuki 500cc and only has one plug per cylinder. But yea, I have seen pictures of other el tigres with the motor that has two plugs per cylinder. Its really wild looking! I wonder what kind of performance gains you get, I would think it only helps agaisnt plug fouling in a 2 stroke

Comment

Yep, probably just to keep the plugs cleaner longer...
                Greg W. in West Michigan
                <Motor out

Comment

Working...
                X