Tire puncture question for Ken C.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tire puncture question for Ken C.

Ken............what is the general rule of thumb as to whether a puncture is repairable based on the puncture location? At one time you had all this information on your personal web site but I don't see it anymore. I have a puncture (nail) in the tread that is about an inch and a half from the tread shoulder and was wondering if I am in that "no repair" zone.

Thanks.

Dave
    2000 Camaro SS..........6 speed triple black

Ken........Here's a picture of the tire. You can see the nail on the inside tread. Any opinions on whether you think it can be plugged or is too close to the shoulder?

Comment

Not Ken, but.......

I've patched them while still in the outer tread block. you still have a little room to spare, when it gets closer to the sidewall is when you get problems. I don't trust a mere plug, I have the tire removed and a proper plug and patch done from the inside.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe 1320
        Not Ken, but.......

I've patched them while still in the outer tread block. you still have a little room to spare, when it gets closer to the sidewall is when you get problems. I don't trust a mere plug, I have the tire removed and a proper plug and patch done from the inside.
        joe's right. your'e ok.

but a plug is NOT acceptable by any means. its being outlawed by nhtsa now. it allows moisture to penetrate the inner liner.

patch it with a mushroom plug from the inside out. the patch covers the liner injury and the stem of the plug fills the hole thru the tire to the tread surface.

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
        Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
        sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave-S
          Ken........Here's a picture of the tire. You can see the nail on the inside tread. Any opinions on whether you think it can be plugged or is too close to the shoulder?

you're lucky. i had a puncture about 1/4" to the right of where yours is. Near new tire, took it to the tire place, and they said they couldn't patch it because it was too close to where it rounds off inside.
          97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

01 Honda CBR600 F4i-Two bro's,Corbins,SS brake lines

Comment

Originally posted by raroZ28
            you're lucky. i had a puncture about 1/4" to the right of where yours is. Near new tire, took it to the tire place, and they said they couldn't patch it because it was too close to where it rounds off inside.
            actually...its not where it "rounds off inside"..its the belt edge thats the culprit. a puncture there impairs the structural integrity of the belt package that can lead to a belt edge separation, therefore NHTSA prohibits repairs at that point.

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Comment

I had one go through the sidewall on my wife's car when it was new.

The tire barely had 5,000 miles on it. Not sure how she managed to get a nail in the sidewall, but it happened.
              SOLD: 2002 Trans Am WS.6 - Black on Black - 6 Speed
              SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
              17K Miles

2005 Acura TL - Silver on Black
              Navigation - Surround Audio - Bluetooth

Comment

Thanks everyone and especially you Ken for clarifying this for me. I will go get it repaired. I am glad it can be repaired since my tires are worn enough that I was looking at 4 new tires as an alternative. It would have been around $1100 for a new set of (4) F1 Eagles.

Comment

dude, u got nailed

had to say it
                  2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

Originally posted by 88bird5spd
                    dude, u got nailed

had to say it
                    no...his tire got nailed........ had he got nailed, a plug repair would be ok.........

Comment

Maybe it's a screw rather than a nail....................you guys can come up with sayings for that one. I am not going to touch it with a ten foot Pole......or a six foot Swede either for that matter.

Comment

Guess what? There were actually two nails in the tire. The second one didnt show from the outside but it was there. Anyway it's all patched properly and I guess you can say my tire got nailed twice and I am the one that got screwed.

Comment

Ken's new avatar, FTW!! lmao!
                          97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

01 Honda CBR600 F4i-Two bro's,Corbins,SS brake lines

Comment

Working...
                          X