X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GM reveals convertible Camaro!!

http://money.cnn.com/2007/01/04/auto...ex.htm?cnn=yes

GM reveals convertible Chevy Camaro
    Convertible version of the Chevrolet Camaro debuts. Production version will roll out in 2010.
    January 4 2007: 7:28 PM EST

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- General Motors released photos of a convertible Chevrolet Camaro concept vehicle Thursday. The car will be unveiled at the Detroit Auto Show on Sunday.

After revealing the hardtop version at the Detroit show last year, GM announced it would produce a new Camaro in 2009. A convertible version will go on sale in 2010.

History is repeating itself with that planned reintroduction.

Gallery: Camaro future and past

The Camaro was first unveiled in 1966 in response to Ford's 1964 introduction of the Mustang. Its return was, once again, inspired by the success of the Mustang. This time it was the retro-styled 2005 model-year redesign that reignited passion for the pony car.

Production of the Camaro, and its close relative, the Pontiac Firebird, ended in 2002

"If this Camaro convertible doesn't make your heart beat faster, you should either see your optometrist or your cardiologist, because you have a problem," said Ed Peper, general manager of GM's Chevrolet division, in an announcement accompanying the photos.

The concept is painted in "Hugger Orange" pearl tricoat, an update of a color originally offered in 1969.

The Camaro convertible concept car is powered by a 6.0-liter V-8 engine and has a manual transmission.

Dave M
    Life, liberty, and the pursuit of all who threaten it!

More pics here:

http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2..._converti.html

Now if they'll just price 'em so the average guy can afford them....

'87 Camaro - 2.8L MPFI, 700R4 swapped to T5, B&M Ripper Shifter, Dynomax Super Turbo muffler, CATCO high flow cat, K&N air filters, 180 degree thermostat w/200-180 fan switch, 3.42 rear end, Global West steering brace, polyurethane bushings/trans mount, Spohn adjustable torque arm.
    '88 Formula (stolen), '96 Camaro RS, (sold), '91 Firebird (sold),
    Bruce, μολων λαβέ

Comment

F-bod Father...keep an eye on this one (Camaro)

I just hope GM realizes...people are only so willing to accept the "retro" look. My feelings...when this thing finally does hit the market, the new "craze" for the retro look will be on the downswing. Ford is already pulling back on the hot selling Mustang because people are growing tired of the look.

I really hope this car isn't stillborn. That interior...while different, is completely non-functional. The four-pack gauges don't work any more. And what's with the radio? I know it's only a concept, but come on GM...why can't you guys figure out how to capture the look of retro yet retain a futuristic feel? The body is hot...the interior is stale. The GTO should prove...a big engine in a heavy sedan with independant suspension is not enough to attract the buyers anymore. There's too much competetion.

If you price this thing in the low to mid $30K range, you're going to get killed by the likes of Acura, Infinity, BMW, Lexus, etc. Granted, the aforementioned cars aren't "400 hp musclecars", but the group that remembers (and holds fondly) the old '69 Camaro is all grown up now. Speaking for myself, I'd much rather have a "golly-gee whiz" 300+ hp techno rocket (i.e. G35 or TL) than a car that has 400 hp and guages mounted near the shifter.

I'm really keeping my fingers crossed on this one...Scott, the future is in your hands now buddy Make us proud...
      Al 96 Ram Air T/A
      Mods: Build # 784 * Hotchkis STB * SFCs * Borla cat back w/QTP cut-out * AS&M/RK Sports Mid-length headers w/single CAT * Koni SA shocks on lower perch w/ lowered rear * Strano Hollow front & rear antisway bars * 1LE front/rear springs * 1LE aluminum driveshaft * Strange 4.10 gears w/ Zexel Torsen diff. * ARP bearing cap studs & aluminum diff cover* J&M Hotpart poly/poly rear LCAs and poly/poly panhard bar * RAM Powergrip clutch w/ LT4 PP and RAM billet Al flywheel * C5 Z06 brakes * C6 Z06 wheels * Spohn T/A * Spohn DS Loop * fully custom interior w/ custom audio

Comment

That car is wicked I just hope they go with a modern interior instead of that fugly retro one.
        2006 Saturn Ion Redline
        2003 Mits. Eclipse Spyder

Comment

My fear is that GM has lost it's way in regards of why the car was successful in the first place. It was a smaller "Pony" car, something that the younger and less cash blessed could afford. Hopefully they will keep that in mind by offering base versions with a realistic price tag and leave the upper models to the niche marketing of baby boomers who are trying to relive their youth. There are higher profits in the upscale models so my fear is that they will narrow the focus too much and go for highest profit per unit and less volume. I hope my gut feeling is wrong and we don't hear statements like:

"We've discovered that we don't have to make tens of thousands of vehicles, acceptable profit can be acheived with low volume on this platform. The market has strong demand in the 40-55 year old buyers who want to get reaquainted with the performance and style of their youth."

If you hear that kind of statement, we'll know the price points will be just below the Corvette which is out of reach for the majority of who would want buy the vehicle. Say your prayers folks.

Comment

I really don't like that body style. I loved the new GTO's as well as Firebirds and Camaro's all the way up through. But I just don't like that styling of body. I will admit I like it more then the Hardtop concept though.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe 1320
              My fear is that GM has lost it's way in regards of why the car was successful in the first place. It was a smaller "Pony" car, something that the younger and less cash blessed could afford. Hopefully they will keep that in mind by offering base versions with a realistic price tag and leave the upper models to the niche marketing of baby boomers who are trying to relive their youth. There are higher profits in the upscale models so my fear is that they will narrow the focus too much and go for highest profit per unit and less volume. I hope my gut feeling is wrong and we don't hear statements like:

"We've discovered that we don't have to make tens of thousands of vehicles, acceptable profit can be acheived with low volume on this platform. The market has strong demand in the 40-55 year old buyers who want to get reaquainted with the performance and style of their youth."

If you hear that kind of statement, we'll know the price points will be just below the Corvette which is out of reach for the majority of who would want buy the vehicle. Say your prayers folks.
              I've seen Red Planet acknowledge that pricing would have to be competitive with the Mustang. So you could possibly expect it to be, say, within $1000 of each similar model. So it should be relatively affordable

Also, per the press release, the concept length is about 186". That's a whole 7" shorter than the 4th gen, 6" shorter than the 3rd, and 2" shorter than a '71 model.

On the interior...I could only see GM using some ideas from it. The radio controls would have to be replaced with a corporate model. The 4 pack gaugues could go to make room for some cupholders, change holder, and what not. Certainly there would be a number of changes if they even decided to make production resemble this one.

I was hoping to see some sort of evolution that would point a direction to production, but I don't see it. The car is virtually identicle to the one last year.
              Joe K.
              '11 BMW 328i
              '10 Matrix S AWD
              Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

I can't wait to see them on the road!

Comment

I'm not liking the 22 inch wheels.

As for retro, you have to remember that as time moves on, what is considered retro will move forward in time. 10 years from now, "retro" will be an 80s look. I'm not sure how that will go over since the 80s wasnt the era of the true muscle car - just try and imagine a Chevy Impala retro design that mimics the squared-off '85 sedan! Way back in the '70s I think that "retro" meant '50s style. Time does not stand still, someday today's hottest style will be retro!

I sure hope the new Camaro has a more functional interior too.
                  Bruce
                  01 Camaro

Comment

Working...
                  X