X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GM's new electic car

kinda sweet...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16503845/

sounds very cool. Now to get consumers to go for it... I think the key for GM is that it has such a large range once the battery juice is out, via the back-up gas engine. For once, it sounds like GM might be on the leading edge of something instead of years behind it.
    Dave M
    Life, liberty, and the pursuit of all who threaten it!

Comment

In a couple of years, I want the Telsa. It would be helpful to have that fuel backup, hopefully the right combo will exist in a couple years. I would still take one even if it was 100% electric as long as my range requirement of 300 miles is met.

http://autos.msn.com/as/minishow/art...2&s=Pebble2006

Comment

It will be interesting to see what its range is with lights and/or heater/air conditioner/stereo, etc. on as well.
        R.i.K.

'98 WS6 TA (white, of course!), Hurst Billet/Plus shifter, BBK intake manifold, McGard “blue-ring” lug nuts (12x1.5), PowerSlot brake rotors, Hawk brake pads, Stainless steel braided brake lines, Pontiac arrow, Hotchkis strut tower brace, MBA MAF ends, Reflective Concepts lettering, MTI carbon-fiber look airbox lid . . . and one greying, somewhat eccentric owner.

Comment

Well, this part isn't very encouraging...

But the Volt is limited by battery technology and GM has no date for it to be available to the public. Chief Executive Officer Rick Wagoner was expected to announce Sunday that the company is committed to getting the Volt to market as quickly as possible.

GM officials stressed that development of the battery pack is critical to the concept vehicle reaching showrooms, and the technology likely won’t be available until 2010 or 2012.
          Joe K.
          '11 BMW 328i
          '10 Matrix S AWD
          Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

full electric is just not where its at.........not yet, by a long shot. i think it will bomb.

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
            Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
            sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

Originally posted by wolfdogs
              full electric is just not where its at.........not yet, by a long shot. i think it will bomb.
              EV1 flashbacks huh At least they're hedging their bets with a back up gasoline engine
              Rhode Island Red *Lurker since 1997*

2002 Firehawk #0035/1503 !Cags | !Air | !PCV | Airborn-coated Kooks LT's | Powerbond UD Pulley | Custom Cam | Ported Oil pump | LS2 timing chain | Comp 918's | Hardened push rods | LSS | BMR STB | SLP Bolt-on SFC's | drill mod |TB Bypass | Ported TB | Custom Dyno tuning | 160* thermostat | LS7 Clutch
              Ordered: May 1, 2001 Built: June 1, 2001 Delivered August 25, 2001
              pics and info

Comment

Just curious: What do you think the Feds and the states would do if cars operating mostly on electricity become a significant proportion of the vehicle mix and revenues from gasoline taxes decrease?

Anyone care to venture a guess how they will make up the difference?
                R.i.K.

'98 WS6 TA (white, of course!), Hurst Billet/Plus shifter, BBK intake manifold, McGard “blue-ring” lug nuts (12x1.5), PowerSlot brake rotors, Hawk brake pads, Stainless steel braided brake lines, Pontiac arrow, Hotchkis strut tower brace, MBA MAF ends, Reflective Concepts lettering, MTI carbon-fiber look airbox lid . . . and one greying, somewhat eccentric owner.

Comment

Originally posted by Roger in Kensington
                  Just curious: What do you think the Feds and the states would do if cars operating mostly on electricity become a significant proportion of the vehicle mix and revenues from gasoline taxes decrease?

Anyone care to venture a guess how they will make up the difference?
                  tax it even more to make up the losses? Make more roads toll roads? Higher taxes on electricity?
                  Dave M
                  Life, liberty, and the pursuit of all who threaten it!

Comment

Originally posted by Dave M
                    tax it even more to make up the losses? Make more roads toll roads? Higher taxes on electricity?
                    Electricity will definitely be higher. As it is, Connecticut just approved a 50% rate hike to CL&P. My electric bill is already close to $200 a month. Looks like $300 is right around the corner.
                    SOLD: 2002 Trans Am WS.6 - Black on Black - 6 Speed
                    SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
                    17K Miles

2005 Acura TL - Silver on Black
                    Navigation - Surround Audio - Bluetooth

Comment

They could tax anything thats car related. Replacement parts, registration, auto insurance, tires, etc. There are plenty of ways... but they all suck.
                      No F-Body right now

Comment

Now see what I would like to do is drive to work, park outside my back door and hook up the extension chord. I could see someone at the corporate office wonder why the shop's electric bill is going through the roof.

Comment

If you work close enough to home... You would never have to charge it at home. haha
                          No F-Body right now

Comment

Working...
                          X