question for the board

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• question for the board

last saturday i was with my buddy as we went to pick up his new bird(his other one got totalled cuz a old lady slamed into it when it was parked and bent the frame 6inchs to the right. its a 1996 firebird formula. its got 75K on it, blue, with ttops, cd, 6spd. yada yada. he got it for 6100$. its got me thinking of gettin a 4th gen again and i just found a 1995 t/a with 63K on it for 6900$ guy wont budge off that becuz hes already dropped it $1K. is it worth it? he says is cleaner then a brand new car. he has 3 kids and the lady is mad at him for it. think its worth investigating some more?
    2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

If it's a really clean car, it could be worth it... Especially if it's a 6 speed. Otherwise, you know the drill with the LT1's. Opti... Water pump... Etc. If all checks out, that's a decent price for a 4th gen in our area.
    SOLD: 2002 Trans Am WS.6 - Black on Black - 6 Speed
    SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
    17K Miles

2005 Acura TL - Silver on Black
    Navigation - Surround Audio - Bluetooth

Comment

nothings cleaner than a brand new car...hahahahahaa

personaly, i would seek out a 96 or 97.. the bumped the hp on the lt1 by 10 for those years and made some refinements with the opti and stuff that later, if you do a cam, you will appreciate.

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
      Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
      sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

Thats a Pretty good price if its nice and clean. You know just check the basics. Look at the Oil, see if its alright and not to Gunky, Check in the Radiator is if its been serviced. Listen to the drive train considering, when I bought my car, the Bearings were shot and I had to rebuild my rearend. Check All the Gears to see if they Engage properly and disengage. All those things play a factor in how much You can get the guy to drop the price.
        Eddie
        2000 M6 Trans Am
        Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

The best thing I have ever done was to go from 3rd gen to 4th. Its a big jump going from lightly modded L98 to a Lightly modded LS1 . If its a clean car that has been taken care of.... Jump on it!
          1999 Ram Air Trans Am. M6

SFC( not sure what kind), drilled/slotted rotors, K&N air filter, all free mods, 3" Borla cat back exaust, electric exaust cut out, NGK spark plugs, royal purple motor oil, and Zaino .Maybe more. I find more stuff done to it everytime I look at it.

Comment

Originally posted by 88bird5spd
            last saturday i was with my buddy as we went to pick up his new bird(his other one got totalled cuz a old lady slamed into it when it was parked and bent the frame 6inchs to the right. its a 1996 firebird formula. its got 75K on it, blue, with ttops, cd, 6spd. yada yada. he got it for 6100$. its got me thinking of gettin a 4th gen again and i just found a 1995 t/a with 63K on it for 6900$ guy wont budge off that becuz hes already dropped it $1K. is it worth it? he says is cleaner then a brand new car. he has 3 kids and the lady is mad at him for it. think its worth investigating some more?
            In the next 25K miles, plan on replacing the water pump, optispark, plugs and wires. if it's an automatic, plan on a rebuild after 100K miles. A 95 is one of those years where there were some funky changes. Dowel pin length on the opti drive, OBD2 diagnostic port even though it's OBD1. If I were looking for another T/A, I would look for a 96 or 97. All the changes were already in place, OBDII enhanced diagnostics, extra HP from factory changes, those are the sweet years for LT-1s.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe 1320
              In the next 25K miles, plan on replacing the water pump, optispark, plugs and wires. if it's an automatic, plan on a rebuild after 100K miles. A 95 is one of those years where there were some funky changes. Dowel pin length on the opti drive, OBD2 diagnostic port even though it's OBD1. If I were looking for another T/A, I would look for a 96 or 97. All the changes were already in place, OBDII enhanced diagnostics, extra HP from factory changes, those are the sweet years for LT-1s.
              w3rd. and the interior upgrade is a lot better.
              97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

01 Honda CBR600 F4i-Two bro's,Corbins,SS brake lines

Comment

Well my car was $6500 with 71,000 miles on it. (currently at 82,000 miles.)
                2006 Saturn Ion Redline
                2003 Mits. Eclipse Spyder

Comment

Originally posted by ryan34
                  Well my car was $6500 with 71,000 miles on it. (currently at 82,000 miles.)

Heh....

Mine was $30,495 with 0 miles on the clock and it has 137,000 now. there's times I wished I had saved it and not driven it, but there are other times I can say I enjoyed every mile and it was worth every penny.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe 1320
                    thanks for expanding on what i said above.................

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
                    Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
                    sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

The fellas are right on here about going with a '96-'97. Personally, I would even go with a '97. You can find a decent one for around the same price. Miles to me aren't everything, it's how that car was cared for every mile. Back in '02 I bought my '96 w/ 63K for $10K. I'm sure you could find one now for around the same asking price ($6900) as that '95. What's its interior/exterior condition? There are always a lot of f-bodies for sale at a time (from what I always see), feel free to be choosey You'll feel better with your purchase in the end!!
                      1996 White T/A, LT-1 auto with only aftermarket Flowmasters, shift kit, and a LG Motorsports G2 cold air kit.....that's it! She can't eat all the 'Stangs but will die trying.

Currently on the clock: 120K

Comment

i talked to the guy. the car is bone stock(huge for me), 2nd owner, detailed at the dealership every 2 months. my guess is that he loved the car when he had it. ill take a look around some more. the part bout this car i lvoe the most is the 6spd, ttops, and BONE STOCK. id love to get the 96/97 cars but every1 i find is 12K . ill keep looking. my body guy gave me the same advice, look some more be4 i jump

edit: just found two maros, ones modded a lil and ones stockish

1997 Camaro

1998 Camaro

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

$12K for a 96??? Makes me wonder what my low mileage bird is worth
                          Al 96 Ram Air T/A
                          Mods: Build # 784 * Hotchkis STB * SFCs * Borla cat back w/QTP cut-out * AS&M/RK Sports Mid-length headers w/single CAT * Koni SA shocks on lower perch w/ lowered rear * Strano Hollow front & rear antisway bars * 1LE front/rear springs * 1LE aluminum driveshaft * Strange 4.10 gears w/ Zexel Torsen diff. * ARP bearing cap studs & aluminum diff cover* J&M Hotpart poly/poly rear LCAs and poly/poly panhard bar * RAM Powergrip clutch w/ LT4 PP and RAM billet Al flywheel * C5 Z06 brakes * C6 Z06 wheels * Spohn T/A * Spohn DS Loop * fully custom interior w/ custom audio

Comment

I like the lt1...but I really like the ls1...
                            Greg W. in West Michigan
                            1992 Formula WS6-A/R Rims, Stock L05 swap, Former Abuse Victim
                            1983 Z28-Parts car- *Sold*
                            1984 Z28-305 HO Auto *Sold*
                            1986 Camaro-V-6 5Spd *Sold*
                            1984 Camaro-V-6 Auto *Sold*
                            <Motor out

Comment

im down to two cars, that 97 has been played with too much for my own liking. but i found a 96 SS black, full exhuast, 6spd, leather, ttops, 115K( ) for 7grand. what u think bout that one?

Comment

Working...
                              X