Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you fight an oversized speed bump?...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you fight an oversized speed bump?...

Hey Everyone,
    I live in a condo in South Jersey. My condo association just installed several speed humps in my devlopment. The things are enormous. Probably 12" high, 4'-5' long, and they are very steep. My daily driver (03 Buick Regal) barely clears them. Now my Camaro is in storage right now... But I know that it will not clear them. Does anyone know where I could find out if there are laws limiting the size of speed bumps? Is there another course of action I can take? I already called the association to complain... but they didnt really seem to care what I thought. I know I am not the only person who doesnt like them. They have only be installed for a few days & there are lots of scrape marks on them from cars that dont have enough ground clearance.

Thanks in Advance,
    Mark B
    No F-Body right now

If it is on private property, I'm not sure there is much you can do about it. Maybe if enough people complain about it or you get some sort of petition started that might help. If there are codes that govern speed bump size, you may start at city hall.
    1999 Ram Air Trans Am. M6

SFC( not sure what kind), drilled/slotted rotors, K&N air filter, all free mods, 3" Borla cat back exaust, electric exaust cut out, NGK spark plugs, royal purple motor oil, and Zaino .Maybe more. I find more stuff done to it everytime I look at it.

Comment

Arrrgggg. My college had those things, what a serious PITA. I eventually had to trim my front airdam because there was no way to clear them, no way around them and no recourse. It was considered private property and they could do as they wish.

Comment

Tell them that your car won't clear them if you go over it real slow. But you figured out that if you go faster that your car will actually fly over them and keep the car from bottoming out. So that is the unintended consequences of their actions.
        2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

I saw a really neat picture of a lifted camaro once J/K
          1999 Ram Air Trans Am. M6

SFC( not sure what kind), drilled/slotted rotors, K&N air filter, all free mods, 3" Borla cat back exaust, electric exaust cut out, NGK spark plugs, royal purple motor oil, and Zaino .Maybe more. I find more stuff done to it everytime I look at it.

Comment

I would start by looking into the Condo Association's regulations related to how changes are decided. There may be something where you have to vote on changes with a minimum participation requirement. Most associations (neighborhood or condo) have set processes for things like that.

If the roads in the development are ultimately considered county/city property, there may be other recourse. I recently learned that you can loose federal funding for road paving if you have speed humps.

In the meantime, the petition sounds like a good start.
            Wifey to Jeff in ATL

Comment

I think I will try the petition thing. I guess I will be knocking on some doors. I have to do something. It wont matter how slow I drive over them, my car will end up tettering on the bump without enough weight on the rear wheels to push the car over it. Not to mention I will loose most of my exhaust & ground effects. I know my car is lower than most, but come on.

Its time to break out the letter writing skills.
              No F-Body right now

Comment

Bumps

I would check with a lawyer and find out if you can sue the association for putting a vehicle damaging obstacle in the road.
                Those speed bumps are the most annoying thing I have ever come across. Yours sounds like the worst one ever. What idiot thought of that one. Someone who wants everybody back on horses is guess.
                I would move out of the neighborhood if they ever put them in my area. I despise those things.

Comment

Another solution would be to stop at an equipment rental place and pick up a jackhammer. That would make short work of those speedbumps.

Comment

I have jackhammers at work! hehe
                    No F-Body right now

Comment

[QUOTE=Dave Vince] What idiot thought of that one. Someone who wants everybody back on horses is guess.
                      QUOTE]
                      Nothing wrong with horseback. They're friendly, use no gas, and get you to where you want to go w/o breaking down Yeah, they'll go over 12" speed bumps better, too.
                      1996 White T/A, LT-1 auto with only aftermarket Flowmasters, shift kit, and a LG Motorsports G2 cold air kit.....that's it! She can't eat all the 'Stangs but will die trying.

Currently on the clock: 120K

Comment

Unless you want to go faster than 35mph. haha
                        No F-Body right now

Comment

get a really really cheap beater car and go over the bumps at the speed limit aloowed there , and hopefully there will be some damage..and get everything on tape , both inside and outside the car...then start sueing left and right until you find somebody to pay for repair...then ask for repair compensation for your other cars, new ground effects, paint , exhaust....
                          well thats all i can come up with right now...i m still a bit dizzy afer all those donuts in the formula tonight

and over here theres speedbumps everywhere, what is the matter with them?!! speed cameras too, cctv so they record everything you do, average speed check cameras, and apparently they re going to turn on the nationwide number plate recognition cameras so they will know where and when you have been and how fast ...sorry for the rant
                          93 t/a A4 3.23s
                          95 Formula A4 2.73s >>>>93 t/a 3.23 , !AIR, !cat, !A/C, hotchkis lowering springs, kyb adj shocks, DD
                          99 Camaro z28 a4, 2.73, !AIR, !A/C
                          99 Alfa Romeo 166 3.0 v6, red
                          97 3.8 v6 A4 camaro, hardtop
                          93 Camaro Z28 M6, hotcam kit, 150 shot, twin plate clutch, eibach pro kit and bilstein shocks, swaybars etc
                          00 audi a6 4.2 40 valve v8

Comment

Originally posted by Mark B
                            Unless you want to go faster than 35mph. haha
                            Well, you can always go out and buy 400 horses......you'll have your 400 "horsepowa"
                            1996 White T/A, LT-1 auto with only aftermarket Flowmasters, shift kit, and a LG Motorsports G2 cold air kit.....that's it! She can't eat all the 'Stangs but will die trying.

Currently on the clock: 120K

Comment

Working...
                            X