Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Challenge

Here is my challenge:
    Take a base car like a mid 90s LT1 Camaro and a mid 90s Honda or one of those other misfits about the same year. No Nitrous, No blowers, just motor. With 5K to modify it not counting the base car. Lets see who has the quicker car after all is said and done. If the Jap car wins I will never say another word and I will be the most amazed guy in the world.

Originally posted by Dave Vince
    the Jap car wins I will never say another word and I will be the most amazed guy in the world.
    +1
    93 t/a A4 3.23s
    95 Formula A4 2.73s >>>>93 t/a 3.23 , !AIR, !cat, !A/C, hotchkis lowering springs, kyb adj shocks, DD
    99 Camaro z28 a4, 2.73, !AIR, !A/C
    99 Alfa Romeo 166 3.0 v6, red
    97 3.8 v6 A4 camaro, hardtop
    93 Camaro Z28 M6, hotcam kit, 150 shot, twin plate clutch, eibach pro kit and bilstein shocks, swaybars etc
    00 audi a6 4.2 40 valve v8

Comment

there is no way the rice will boil.

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
      Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
      sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

With 5K you can do a lightly modded K20 swap with a Civic hatchback.

A stripped, bare bones hatch back weighs in at about 2100 lbs...2300 stock.

11lbs per 1hp is a challenge...they're geared like bats out of hell. I know, my brother has one. I've seen some run mid 12's with just a swap.

I know I know...on the freeway though, he can give me a run. Not as cool, but quick...very quick.

I think it'd be a really close race...

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
        Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
        B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
        Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
        Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

Ever seen an LTx or LSx powered RX7? Talk about a screamer. Unless of course you are talking about staying with an all rice vs all corn(haha domestic rice ) theme.
          Greg W. in West Michigan
          1992 Formula WS6-A/R Rims, Stock L05 swap, Former Abuse Victim
          1983 Z28-Parts car- *Sold*
          1984 Z28-305 HO Auto *Sold*
          1986 Camaro-V-6 5Spd *Sold*
          1984 Camaro-V-6 Auto *Sold*
          <Motor out

Comment

With a no power adder restriction, there is no way the import can beat the f-body. With 5g's in a LT1, you're talking about stupid high compression, building the LT1 to the limit it can handle on just motor, and still have money left over for suspension stuff.

The import could do a built whatever they want, but the bottom line is they don't have torque so they have to make it up in horsepower and weight, and the only way to make horsepower with no torque is big boost. The f-body would slaughter it off the line (way more torque and much better traction) and even on top end the aero's would still favor the f-body, so it wouldn't even be close.

Reminds me of a certain PINKS episode where something needed 20 links...
            "No, officer, that bottle is my onboard Halon system"

Comment

Originally posted by Christopherrr
              With 5K you can do a lightly modded K20 swap with a Civic hatchback.
              Last Time I checked for 5 G's You can not get no K20 and if u can let me know where. The cheapest K20 Swap with trans was somewhere around the lines of $7500- $9000. Just the Engine and Trans, Thats all. No computer or anything, and I have friends that have connections for this kind of stuff and I have never heard of that kind of price. The Best thing I can think of for 5K is maybe an H22 stock. Then your looking about around mid to high 13's. So Another Point for the Domestics!
              Eddie
              2000 M6 Trans Am
              Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

here's a kicker... for the import...get an cheap american V-8 LSX based engines are fairly cheap these days (under 5k) and throw it in the rice... It'd still probably lose but would be worth it for the looks on people's faces
                Rhode Island Red *Lurker since 1997*

2002 Firehawk #0035/1503 !Cags | !Air | !PCV | Airborn-coated Kooks LT's | Powerbond UD Pulley | Custom Cam | Ported Oil pump | LS2 timing chain | Comp 918's | Hardened push rods | LSS | BMR STB | SLP Bolt-on SFC's | drill mod |TB Bypass | Ported TB | Custom Dyno tuning | 160* thermostat | LS7 Clutch
                Ordered: May 1, 2001 Built: June 1, 2001 Delivered August 25, 2001
                pics and info

Comment

Lets think about it this way... What could you do to the LT1 for 5k? Im thinking...

Heads & Cam (Approx $2500)
                  Exhaust & Intake (Approx $1200)
                  Custom tune ($500)
                  And the rest goes to the suspension ($700)

Then gut everything thats not needed to reduce weight. You are easily in the low 12's with that setup.

Now what would you have to do to a civic to get into the 12's without a power adder? haha
                  No F-Body right now

Comment

Originally posted by Mark B
                    Lets think about it this way... What could you do to the LT1 for 5k? Im thinking...

Custom tune ($500)

Then gut everything thats not needed to reduce weight. You are easily in the low 12's with that setup.

Now what would you have to do to a civic to get into the 12's without a power adder? haha
                    And the other $100 for beer
                    1999 Ram Air Trans Am. M6

SFC( not sure what kind), drilled/slotted rotors, K&N air filter, all free mods, 3" Borla cat back exaust, electric exaust cut out, NGK spark plugs, royal purple motor oil, and Zaino .Maybe more. I find more stuff done to it everytime I look at it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark B

Custom tune ($500)

Get an B18 with A nice big Turbo and a Completely gutted Hatch, And im Talking about Well Under 2000Lbs and Your still not In the Low 12's. You'd have to Go all out Forged B series Engine and Then Gut the inside and Maybe even Plastic Windows and as much Fiberglass Parts as possible then you might be in the low 12's High 11's, but by that point your talking about well over 5k. More like 6-9K with the right connections. And that wont be no daily driver.
                      Eddie
                      2000 M6 Trans Am
                      Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

Originally posted by LS1 TA
                        And the other $100 for beer

Haha, Oops. Wait... I mean... Thats exactly what i was thinking.
                        No F-Body right now

Comment

Do you know how many stickers you can buy for $5K? A ricer with all those stickers will be so much faster than the modded fbody that it won't even be a race.
                          2000 Camaro SS..........6 speed triple black

Comment

This thread is amusing.
                            LS15 Power! Another LSx engine coming soon.

Comment

Originally posted by ConElite
                              And that wont be no daily driver.
                              Read: The original POS becomes a bigger POS that happens to be a little quicker.

Comment

Working...
                              X