A window into the life of a salesman

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A window into the life of a salesman

Some of you know that I'm a hardcore musician, what many of you don't know is that I also manage a teaching studio and retail establishment. I've been doing this for 18 years and most of it is routine for me and I don't really have to think about the job... it just happens. The part that makes me laugh is the mentality of the general public. Sometimes I think the majority of the population is either ignorant or just plain rude. It thought I would share some snippets of daily conversations that you folks may get a kick out of.

First one:

As I walk toward the front of the shop with furniture polish and a couple of rags in hand to do a little cleanup, A customer up front is admiring the merchandise. So as I walk past I say:

"Good Morning." the person says: "No thanks, I'm just looking."

A customer is up front checking out one of the products (plays terrible), so I greet him and ask how long he's been playing. He proceeds to tell me his life story and how he got into the wrong type of lessons and failed. He sort of hacks his way though things and wishes he could do better. So I say:

"Our company has been helping students learn to play since 1905, we could help you learn exactly what you desire. We have special classes that help people learn the basics so that they can persue the music of their choice after that. "
    customer replies: "We only live here 6 months out of the year and we're not buying an instrument!"

I'm up at the front of the store, I just finish playing a song, and basically I'm frankly a little bored, but in a good mood. A customer walks by and I simply say "What's your favorite song, let's see if I know it." (keep in mind I can probably do a thousand titles). The customer puts his hand up toward my face like he's stiff arming me and says: "Not today"

It really makes me wonder if people are just rude as hell or do they just have a short circuit between their ears and their brain, most times their response is unrelated to the input that their ears were given. Most times it makes me laugh, sometimes I pity them, in general it makes me long for retirement.

I think people have been beat down by high pressure sales. They have developed an automated response that was created as a result of people beating on them to buy things. It's a ing shame this has happened.
    LS15 Power! Another LSx engine coming soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe 1320
      .... most times their response is unrelated to the input that their ears were given. ....
      That sounds like my wife sometimes. I usually look at her and just say "what?" My daughter is getting to where she is doing it too. It's rubbing off. The funny thing is it makes my wife mad when she does it. LOL
      2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

When the server comes to my table at a restaurant and says "How are you today?" I reply with "I'm just fine. How might you be?". It throws them sometimes. When they realize I'm for an answer, it really makes their day.

Comment

I had to laugh at your post because I know exactly what you are talking about. I worked in retail for 13 years before I got out. Some people just believe salespeople are there just to bother them. They don't understand when you are just being friendly, as was the case with you.

I had a small incident while working for a major sporting goods retailer. It was December 23rd, and we were packed with customers. There was literally almost nothing left on the shelves. I'm helping a customer with something, and this woman rudely cuts in while I'm talking.

"Where are all your left-handed golf clubs?"

I said..."Sorry. We sold out earlier this week. We won't get any in until after Christmas".

She, very angrily, said..."I drove an hour in traffic, all the way from Norwalk to get them!"

I, as sarcasticly as possible, said..."Oh, you drove from Norwalk? Yeah... We still don't have them."

The guy I was helping cracked up. That's all it took. She stormed up front and yelled at the store manager. He came back to me and said "What are you doing to me? Like I need this two days before Christmas." He told me she never called and asked ahead of time if we had them in stock. Plus the guy I was helping stood up for me.

It was just one of those days. Gotta love retail.
          SOLD: 2002 Trans Am WS.6 - Black on Black - 6 Speed
          SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
          17K Miles

2005 Acura TL - Silver on Black
          Navigation - Surround Audio - Bluetooth

Comment

Originally posted by Performin Norman
            When the server comes to my table at a restaurant and says "How are you today?" I reply with "I'm just fine. How might you be?". It throws them sometimes. When they realize I'm for an answer, it really makes their day.
            Norm, that's what makes you the exception. Most people are far too shallow to actually (heaven forbid) engage in actual conversation. For the most part, society has gone to hell.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe 1320
              Norm, that's what makes you the exception. Most people are far too shallow to actually (heaven forbid) engage in actual conversation. For the most part, society has gone to hell.
              I COMPLETELY agree.

Comment

I am glad I am not the only person who notices this...I make parts orders everyday. Usually from dealerships, salvage yards and etc. Mostly the same ones... When I first started calling for parts the guys at the dealership would be like zombies. After a while of calling and talking to them they know me pretty well and BS with me. Most of the people at salvage yards are just plain rude. I always ask how they are doing and then wait for a response. Once in a great while they actually respond but usually they act like I just slapped there wife! Its like all they want to do is get you off of there phone line. Sale or not...
                Greg W. in West Michigan
                1992 Formula WS6-A/R Rims, Stock L05 swap, Former Abuse Victim
                1983 Z28-Parts car- *Sold*
                1984 Z28-305 HO Auto *Sold*
                1986 Camaro-V-6 5Spd *Sold*
                1984 Camaro-V-6 Auto *Sold*
                <Motor out

Comment

Yes, I have to reply here as well. I work part time (full time hours, though!) at a women's clothing store. I have been here for 5 years, but about 7 years total in retail/customer service. You gents wouldn't believe how bad some of the women are that come in here. Rude, snotty, expect you to kiss their @ss attitude.....makes me sick. I can recall sooo many instances, too many to list here.
                  On the other hand, do you ever go into a store and have a downright rude sales associate? I mean, c'mon. If you don't like dealing with people, get a different job. The general public, or society as a whole is aweful! What'ya gonna do though
                  1996 White T/A, LT-1 auto with only aftermarket Flowmasters, shift kit, and a LG Motorsports G2 cold air kit.....that's it! She can't eat all the 'Stangs but will die trying.

Currently on the clock: 120K

Comment

Originally posted by 'STANGETR
                    ever go into a store and have a downright rude sales associate? I mean, c'mon. If you don't like dealing with people, get a different job. The general public, or society as a whole is aweful! What'ya gonna do though
                    I run across it on a fairly regular basis. If I run into that with my folks, they end up looking for another job. Sometimes they start off great and end up bitter because of the way they are treated by the public. It goes hand in hand sometimes. I'll admit that every once in blue moon if someone is rude to me, I kinda give it back to them in a smart @ss sort of way. It's rare, but once or twice a year it happens. I can remember one time I was with a customer who has known me for 15 years and is a good friend. While I was engaged in a casual conversation with them at the front of the store, someone else walks in and rudely interupts us. He says "Hey boy, I'm looking for the cell phone store." He just hit me the wrong way, I know I shouldn't have done it but I replied: " Hey, obviously you're blind as hell because it's right behind you." Ya know, all he said was "oh" and turned around at walked over to the cell phone shop. Some people are just plain out there. The customer I was with just started laughing and commented how the other guy was a moron.

Comment

What a lot of people don't realize is the pressure put on salespeople by the company. They HAVE to meet certain quota's etc... My brother would always rant about Best Buy. They cut out commission totally, they do NOT make money off any sales. No incentive to sell, but if you want to keep your job you have to make sales, because the company pressures you.

The sales people I like are the ones that come over nicely and say, hey i'm so and so, if you need help with anything or have any questions let me know. Then they walk away. Nothing worse than the guy that follows you around. I usually find myself saying "I hope that guy doesn't come by me" when I'm at the store. It almost makes me not even want to shop at the store.
                      97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

01 Honda CBR600 F4i-Two bro's,Corbins,SS brake lines

Comment

I worked at best buy for about 1-1/2 years. I know what your brother is talking about. Its unbelieveable what pressure they put on there sales people. I remember that we used to have sales meetings before the store opened about once a month. It was manditory for EVERYONE to be there even if you werent scheduled to work that day.

So imagine getting up at 4:30am, getting to work at 5:30, staying for a 2 hour lecture and then going home. ON A SATURDAY!!! FOR $8/hour!!!! Now that I think about it... I can't believe I worked there for as long as I did.
                        No F-Body right now

Comment

Originally posted by Mark B
                          So imagine getting up at 4:30am, getting to work at 5:30, staying for a 2 hour lecture and then going home. ON A SATURDAY!!! FOR $8/hour!!!! Now that I think about it... I can't believe I worked there for as long as I did.
                          lol, i remember him having to do that.
                          97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

01 Honda CBR600 F4i-Two bro's,Corbins,SS brake lines

Comment

Originally posted by Mark B
                            I worked at best buy for about 1-1/2 years. I know what your brother is talking about. Its unbelieveable what pressure they put on there sales people. I remember that we used to have sales meetings before the store opened about once a month. It was manditory for EVERYONE to be there even if you werent scheduled to work that day.
                            Before our company grew to be too large for this, Imagine a company meeting every Friday morning. Some employees had to drive almost 4 hours one way just to attend a 3 hour meeting, then 4 hours back home. Due to logistics, now we limit the company meeting to once a month, a seperate regional manager's meeting is also typically scheduled once a month, store meetings are weekly. I swear they are meeting happy. It was suggested that meetings should be handled daily. In a way, the greedy corporations ruin morale of their employees by putting so much pressure on salespeople. Some can handle it, the majority can't and find a way to go away either by their choice or the company's. Heck, during the fall season they tell management that they can take Thanksgiving and Christmas day off. The rest of the time there are no days off. When that came up this year I confronted upper management and reminded them that when the Israelis were in bondage by Egypt, they were given on day in seven to rest and even that was considered slavery. All I got was a blank stare followed by double talking sales pitches by upper management control freaks.

Sometimes you have to take a deep breath and tell yourself it's not worth getting worked up over the situations. Even with that, sales companies don't realize how de-motivating their practices really are. They don't want to hear it, everyone else is wrong and they are the all knowing masters of business. Many follow that philosophy right into chapter 11...... sooner or later they will realize that without dedicated good people, they have nothing.

"breathe........breathe........"

Comment

Ah, customer stories. Way back when, I used to work at Lowe's. One morning I was working the lone register at the far end of the store by myself, we had just opened for the day. The door to get into the store was one you actually had to pull open yourself. You could push it in, but it would get hung up on the rug and stop about halfway. Hence the reason we put a large sign on the door that said "PULL." Well, that morning, a guy comes in, and sure enough he tries to push the door in. It gets stuck on the rug but he keeps walking right into the door, and then looks around to see if anyone saw him. So he sees me standing there, and yells "Hey, your door is broke!" It was all I could do not to laugh.

Then there was the time a guy was standing in my line while I rang the stuff up. His back was to the register behind him, where a friend of mine was working. At the time, she didn't have any customers so she was just standing at the register. She looks down and sees a brand new, expensive paint brush sticking out of his back pocket, with the sticker on and everything. So she grabs it and says "sir did you forget this????" just as nicely as she can. "oh, uhhhhhh....yeahhhh...sorry about that!" Right!

2001 Camaro V6, stock

Comment

Working...
                              X