buick question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• buick question

Just wondering if anyone knows what is different about buick t-types and grand nationals of the 84-87 years?
    98 z-71 silverado white
    93 trans am, green, a4, 96 trans am motor swap in progress

Yes.

Comment

Sorry to be vauge but just wonderin if there was any difference in the motor/tranny setup or if it was just a name/body style difference?
      98 z-71 silverado white

Comment

84-85 are non intercooled, 86-87 had a better motor and were intercooled. 86-87 are the most desired from a performance standpoint.

The T-types could be optioned out many different ways in color and trim, the Grand nationals were all black with blacked out trim.

Comment

Thanks Joe. helpful as always
          98 z-71 silverado white

Comment

T-type was a Buick designation for high-performance. They made T-type LeSabres, FWD, and other cars that I wouldn't have considered "performance"- The T-types had some blacked-out trim, usually alloy wheels, maybe bucket seats. Buick got a little confused as to who their market was, although I have to admit that they made some serious performance cars in the late 60's and early 70's, based on the mid-sized Skylark body- look up some of the GSX's with big blocks, 455 with a 4-speed. Similar to the Olds Hurst/Cutlass/4-4-2 of the era- I think BPO (Buick-Pontiac-Olds) was the performance arm of General Motors- they were all upmarket of Chevy.

I had a heavily modded '79 Century, similar to a Regal with a bobbed tail. RWD, originally a 3.8 V-6, that became a Buick V-8 350, then 4Bbl, duals, shift kit, nitrous- eventually had 16' IROC wheels on it, really quite a sleeper, with the Buick "business man" 2-tone paint and quiet exhaust- It would beat any SS Monte, and most Camaros of the era- my friends used to refer to it as the "stealth"

GM refered to that platform as a G-body, lots of good speed parts still available- active clubs and aftermarket support- If I stumbled across one I would probably go for it!
            2001 Z28 A4 - 160 deg t-stat, 3.42 gears, WS6 sway bars, rear springs and shocks, UMI SFC's, Torque Arm and STB, leather Firebird seats, Borla, SLP Y-pipe and lid, ZO6 cam and springs - 332 RWHP and 346 RWTQ, not bad for 'almost stock' - work in progress
            "Black, the fastest color"

Comment

The Grand National is just so much more sinister looking than it's T-Type counterpart in my opinion. I'm sure it's the blacked out trim.
              SOLD: 2002 Trans Am WS.6 - Black on Black - 6 Speed
              SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
              17K Miles

2005 Acura TL - Silver on Black
              Navigation - Surround Audio - Bluetooth

Comment

Keep in mind a T-Type can be had in blacked out trim. It is entirely possible to have ordered a Black T-type with blacked out trim, yet it's still a T-Type. Some T-Types came with aluminum radiator supports, and aluminum rear brake drums. Both save some pounds off the weight of a GN. The lightweight stripper version would be a T-Type with the aluminum parts mentioned above, and a hardtop. They contain the same powertrain, just a weight savings and different badges and trim makeup. There's also the fun of getting a regular looking T-type with chrome trim and bench seats that blows the doors off most performance cars out there. Talk about stealth.

Comment

The T-type i have found is similar to the ones Joe is talkin about. Looks to be in good shape, frame rails are solid and body and interior look good. I was confused tho because it had the appearance of a GN (everything blacked out) but didn't know the differences.
                  98 z-71 silverado white

Comment

Working...
                  X