No announcement yet.

Radar Detectors

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, Last week I got a ticket for 20mph over the 35 limit on a city street by a cop sitting in a gas station parking lot. that should have been an easy one for a detector to find, I think. I'm still pissed. I'm wondering if I should call one of those traffic ticket lawyers or if its not even worth it (fine is $135). Over all though, I am a good driver. My last ticket was just over 2 yrs ago here in town, but prior to that my last one had been 6 years (!) and before that, well, so long that I forgot. I've never even wrecked a car and have been driving for 26 years. The problem up here is that all the streets limits are so damn slow, 25 - 35, even on main commercial divided roadways. I only know of one street in this whole town that is 45mph. I wish there was a way out of this one.
    Bruce
    01 Camaro

Comment

funny thing is...... I don't use a detector, don't get speeding tickets anymore either. I got more tickets for speeding when I had detectors in use. Now I just don't break the limit by more than a few mph unless I'm out in the middle of nowhere. Cops eyeball me, but it's a no catch of the day for them!

Comment

Originally posted by Joe 1320
        funny thing is...... I don't use a detector, don't get speeding tickets anymore either. I got more tickets for speeding when I had detectors in use. Now I just don't break the limit by more than a few mph unless I'm out in the middle of nowhere. Cops eyeball me, but it's a no catch of the day for them!
        Same here.
        2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Yeah, you can have all the latest, greatest technology, jammers, detectors, etc, but, if you speed long enough, your number is going to come up- alot of it is just not attracting attention, and driving 20 over attracts lots of attention!

I try to stay in the middle or left lane, not the "speeding" lane, and try to drive with the flow- even better if I can find a 'rabbit' that is in a hurry, he can go first and be my detector

If you speed enough, your number WILL come up- unlike playing the lottery!
          2001 Z28 A4 - 160 deg t-stat, 3.42 gears, WS6 sway bars, rear springs and shocks, UMI SFC's, Torque Arm and STB, leather Firebird seats, Borla, SLP Y-pipe and lid, ZO6 cam and springs - 332 RWHP and 346 RWTQ, not bad for 'almost stock' - work in progress
          "Black, the fastest color"

Comment

I'm sure I'm going to totally jinx myself here, but I haven't had a ticket in ten years... And I was found not guilty on that one anyway.

It's like Joe and Willy said.... Just don't give them a reason to give you a ticket. I know some speed limits can be lame, but just turn on some tunes, sit back, and cruise.
            SOLD: 2002 Trans Am WS.6 - Black on Black - 6 Speed
            SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
            17K Miles

2005 Acura TL - Silver on Black
            Navigation - Surround Audio - Bluetooth

Comment

Originally posted by Joe 1320
              I'm the same way. I've never used a detector because they're more of a false sense of security. I just use one simple rule: I dont speed (ok I mean I don't excessively speed). Ok, I am guilty of going up to 10-15 over sometimes, but that's only when there are other guys going 20+ over in front and behind. The only time my car was pulled over for speeding was when my friend was driving 34 over, and he had to pay the fine/suffer the consequences. So my advice, keep it within a reasonable speed, never speed in school/residential zones, and as Greg mentions, they won't have a reason to pull you over.
              94 Black T/A GT, Advanced Induction 355, 3200 stall, built 4L60E, Moser 9", Baer Brakes, Shooting for 11s...

Comment

As others have said, you're best off just being alert when driving. A radar detector will give you a false sense of security. I used to use a dector and got in many more close calls than I do now. Just be alert to your surroundings (also helps out the safety factor) and don't go crazy speeding on an unfamiliar road. Watch brake lights in front of you, they are far more accurate than any radar decetor yet invented. And there are plenty of non-electronic speed detection means that a radar detector won't help you with. They are illegal in Virginia, and a few other states. I'm only familiar with VA because I go through it occasionally.
                Dave M
                Life, liberty, and the pursuit of all who threaten it!

Comment

Working...
                X