Graphics card problem...Gurus Needed.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Graphics card problem...Gurus Needed.

I recently updated my graphics card and ever since, of my accelerations work...ie. I run dxdiag and in display, the dxdraw acc, direct3d acc, and agp texture show "not available". I know it was not like that before the install. I have tryed to roll back the driver and even uninstall and reinstall an older version but for some reason it doesn't work. The two major differences I can see in the two saved files (one from 5-29-06 when they all worked and the other from today) is

1.DxDiag Notes
    5-29-06
    DirectX Files Tab: No problems found.
    Display Tab 1: The file nv4_disp.dll is not digitally signed, which means that it has not been tested by Microsoft's Windows Hardware Quality Labs (WHQL). You may be able to get a WHQL logo'd driver from the hardware manufacturer.

TODAY
    DirectX Files Tab: No problems found.
    Display Tab 1: No problems found. Direct3D functionality not available. You should verify that the driver is a final version from the hardware manufacturer.

2. 5-29-06 Display Memory: 256.0 MB
    TODAY- Display Memory: n/a

It looks like my card may have taken a dump. I don't understand why it is saying that I have no display memory. And I really don't understand why, all of a sudden, I cant get any acceleration. No more gaming for me.

The following are the complete files for those of you who would like to see. lmk what you think.
    5-29-06

Today

p.s. I have searched all over the net to find out the answer to this thing and have had no luck! I think I will just buy a new card if nobody here can help me. (I don't want to do that if it is something I am overlooking) Thanks in advance.
    Greg W. in West Michigan
    1992 Formula WS6-A/R Rims, Stock L05 swap, Former Abuse Victim
    1983 Z28-Parts car- *Sold*
    1984 Z28-305 HO Auto *Sold*
    1986 Camaro-V-6 5Spd *Sold*
    1984 Camaro-V-6 Auto *Sold*
    <Motor out

First, did you properly uninstall the NVIDIA drivers? You must use the Add/Remove feature in Windows, then use Driver Cleaner Pro to cleanup residuals.

After you install the new drivers, make sure the AGP card is being recognized as an AGP card and not PCI. If this is the case, reinstall the mobo chipset driver (specifically the GART driver) and see if dxdiag recognizes the card as an AGP. I had a problem recently with my 7800gs running in PCI mode. CPU-Z and Rivatuner reported the card as non AGP. That's what lead me to find a driver issue.

99% of the time, it's a driver issue.
    Al 96 Ram Air T/A
    Mods: Build # 784 * Hotchkis STB * SFCs * Borla cat back w/QTP cut-out * AS&M/RK Sports Mid-length headers w/single CAT * Koni SA shocks on lower perch w/ lowered rear * Strano Hollow front & rear antisway bars * 1LE front/rear springs * 1LE aluminum driveshaft * Strange 4.10 gears w/ Zexel Torsen diff. * ARP bearing cap studs & aluminum diff cover* J&M Hotpart poly/poly rear LCAs and poly/poly panhard bar * RAM Powergrip clutch w/ LT4 PP and RAM billet Al flywheel * C5 Z06 brakes * C6 Z06 wheels * Spohn T/A * Spohn DS Loop * fully custom interior w/ custom audio

Comment

Hmm...I just did some more searching and I noticed it is saying that the card is in the pci slot when I know it is an agp card. Most are saying that the chipset was not updated. I know I updated it after I set it up....just another thing to fix.
      Greg W. in West Michigan
      <Motor out

Comment

lol thats crazy...I started typing that last post and then got summoned away for a little while then you posted about what I was typing before i finished... ty I will definately look into that first!
        Greg W. in West Michigan
        <Motor out

Comment

What mobo do you have? Who makes the chipset?
          Al 96 Ram Air T/A
          Mods: Build # 784 * Hotchkis STB * SFCs * Borla cat back w/QTP cut-out * AS&M/RK Sports Mid-length headers w/single CAT * Koni SA shocks on lower perch w/ lowered rear * Strano Hollow front & rear antisway bars * 1LE front/rear springs * 1LE aluminum driveshaft * Strange 4.10 gears w/ Zexel Torsen diff. * ARP bearing cap studs & aluminum diff cover* J&M Hotpart poly/poly rear LCAs and poly/poly panhard bar * RAM Powergrip clutch w/ LT4 PP and RAM billet Al flywheel * C5 Z06 brakes * C6 Z06 wheels * Spohn T/A * Spohn DS Loop * fully custom interior w/ custom audio

Comment

I have a Gigabyte mobo but I am not sure who makes the chipset. I will have to look when I get home. I have built a few computers and haven't had any problems on any of those...
            Greg W. in West Michigan
            <Motor out

Comment

Well, the chipset is a VIA KT400...I updated it and it now shows the card as being an agp...But still no acceleration. I think I will just ditch this one for a better card. That driver cleanup is a nice program. The version I got also comes with an update checker to make sure the graphics drivers are up to date.
              Greg W. in West Michigan
              <Motor out

Comment

Maybe its set up wrong in the BIOS?

P.S. VIA chipsets stinkkkkkkkkkk!!!! lol

Comment

Na, I went throught the BIOS after I did the latest chipset update to make sure it recognized the AGP slot. It was setup correctly. I may try to uninstall all the drivers again and just use the install disk that came with the card. As far as VIA being crappy, it wouldn't suprise me. The MOBO was given to me back when I put this comp together. My buddy was upgrading to 64 back when they just came out(mistake! ). He told me the only problem he ever had was with the onboard audio. Other than that he was really impressed with it as it was inexpensive comparatively. Anyways, I'll see if I can get this thing going.
                  Greg W. in West Michigan
                  <Motor out

Comment

Working...
                  X