Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wierd Electrical problems linked to cold weather?...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wierd Electrical problems linked to cold weather?...

Hey guys,
    All last week the battery on my daily driver sounded weak when I started the car. Then friday, the car didnt start at all. So I replaced the orginal battery with a new one. Yesterday, I started getting alot of weird electrical problems. Heres a list of problems...

-Parking lights wont turn off, never.
    -Radio always has power, even with key out of ignition & door open.
    -The horn doesnt chirp when I lock the doors with the remote anymore
    -Power drivers seat only works when it wants to

The car is a 03 Buick Regal GS w/ 37k miles. I bought it used about 5 months ago. I live in the Northeast where it have been VERY cold for the past few weeks & right now the car has a 1/2" sheet of ice covering 50% of it. I was going to pull the car into a garage & let the ice melt hoping that would solve the problem, but I would like to know what is causing the problems to begin with.

Any thoughts?
    No F-Body right now

Now that I read my own post, a bad ignition switch could cause problem 1 & 2. But I dont think it could cause 3 & 4. Since all of these problems started at the same time, I am thinking the source lies somewhere else?
    No F-Body right now

Comment

I just realized that the headlights are stuck on too. I better pull the fuse or I will need another battery.

I also forgot to mention, the car has auto-on headlights. But the system is only susposed to be on when the car is running. (Thats why im thinking ignition switch)
      No F-Body right now

Comment

WOW who would have tought.

The past few days the problem has been intermittent at best. I took the car to the dealer and, of course, the problem wasnt there. So tonight I decided to brave the cold & find the problem myself. I would have been the last place I would look if I hadnt heard some clicking from under the seat. The clicking ended up being a bundle of bare wires sparking with eachother!! Im not sure how, but I am almost sure this is the root of my problems.

So who would have looked under the seat to find out why the radio & headlights were acting up? haha

I love my car.
        I love my car.
        I love my car.
        Repeat 100x
        No F-Body right now

Comment

WOW!! the last one I remember having isuues like that burned to the ground! Nice find. I am wondering how the wires did that. Maybe they just got hot and melted the plastic off.
          Greg W. in West Michigan
          1992 Formula WS6-A/R Rims, Stock L05 swap, Former Abuse Victim
          1983 Z28-Parts car- *Sold*
          1984 Z28-305 HO Auto *Sold*
          1986 Camaro-V-6 5Spd *Sold*
          1984 Camaro-V-6 Auto *Sold*
          <Motor out

Comment

Very odd that they were all located under the seat?? I guess car manufacturer people do whatever they gotta do
            1996 White T/A, LT-1 auto with only aftermarket Flowmasters, shift kit, and a LG Motorsports G2 cold air kit.....that's it! She can't eat all the 'Stangs but will die trying.

Currently on the clock: 120K

Comment

My guess is that one of the wires got pinched in the seat track. Then took out the rest of wires. I was wondering myself why my car isnt a pile of ashes. The harness in question definitly caught fire.

I would love to know how that harness effects the other systems though.
              No F-Body right now

Comment

Originally posted by Mark B
                My guess is that one of the wires got pinched in the seat track. Then took out the rest of wires. I was wondering myself why my car isnt a pile of ashes. The harness in question definitly caught fire.

I would love to know how that harness effects the other systems though.
                Car manufactures link wierd things together. On my 89 trans am my oil pressure sending unit was linked to the fuel pump.
                1999 Ram Air Trans Am. M6

SFC( not sure what kind), drilled/slotted rotors, K&N air filter, all free mods, 3" Borla cat back exaust, electric exaust cut out, NGK spark plugs, royal purple motor oil, and Zaino .Maybe more. I find more stuff done to it everytime I look at it.

Comment

Working...
                X