Calling computer people...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calling computer people...

O.K., so I bought TurboTax to do my taxes and when I went to install it, it told me it would not run on Windows 98. So I have a poor man's computer, shoot me??!! I have been doing my own taxes for about 4 years now using TurboTax with no problems. Soooo, my question is, is there some software to upgrade to Windows 2000 (or better), or do I "need" to go out and buy a new computer already? Pretty pricey for just trying to do my own taxes and save $$ I really do hate computers.
    1996 White T/A, LT-1 auto with only aftermarket Flowmasters, shift kit, and a LG Motorsports G2 cold air kit.....that's it! She can't eat all the 'Stangs but will die trying.

Currently on the clock: 120K

wow man, you're still livin in the dark ages. windows 98? Very rarely will you find new software to run on that OS. You will have to use the the online version of turbotax, what you bought will not work.
    97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

01 Honda CBR600 F4i-Two bro's,Corbins,SS brake lines

Comment

You don't need to buy a new computer.. If you got a copy of XP and put that on you'll be ok. Might run a little slower, but isn't hard to do. Just back everything you want to keep (music, pictures, etc) up first because it uses a different file system.
      99 SS, MTI Lid, 3.90 gears, Hurst shifter, DMH 3" e-cutout

Comment

Yeah you can upgrade your version of windows. But for the price you will pay for Windows... A couple hundred more and you can buy a whole new computer that comes with windows! Computers are cheap now-a-days. You could probably get a decent one for $500.

That is of course, unless you have "other" ways of getting the new windows program.
        No F-Body right now

Comment

I would suggest looking into a new machine rather than upgrading the OS on your current one. XP might run on your old machine but chances are it will not run well. Bottom line there is you will spend around $100 to get an upgrade version of XP Home and then spend who knows how long getting things installed and "back to normal" before you'll get your taxes done. Then, you're still left with an old computer that cannot use most of the features of the newer OS.

Look around. Chances are there are some good deals on the net right now on machines that have XP pre-installed. Most of the newest machines will be coming with Vista (STAY AWAY FROM VISTA!!!) so retailers will be trying to sell off the XP machines.

If you really want to take the plunge try a Mac. The Mac Mini can be had very inexpensively and the all-in-one iMacs are great as well. (sorry, had to get a Mac plug in here...)

Scott
          My DD
          2015 Lexus GS350 FSport

My toy

Comment

I would never try to upgrade to XP from 98 again! Chances are your computer doesn't have much ram and XP will use up at least 256 of it just to run itself. Talk about a slow running machine! And like it was said, you will not be able to use all of the features that XP offers. Bite the bullet, buy a newer reconditioned machine at least.
            Greg W. in West Michigan
            1992 Formula WS6-A/R Rims, Stock L05 swap, Former Abuse Victim
            1983 Z28-Parts car- *Sold*
            1984 Z28-305 HO Auto *Sold*
            1986 Camaro-V-6 5Spd *Sold*
            1984 Camaro-V-6 Auto *Sold*
            <Motor out

Comment

Best Buy had laptops as recently as three weeks ago for $299. They had decent stats as well.

Look around. Deals are out there.
              SOLD: 2002 Trans Am WS.6 - Black on Black - 6 Speed
              SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
              17K Miles

2005 Acura TL - Silver on Black
              Navigation - Surround Audio - Bluetooth

Comment

Thanks guys! I know my comp is old news, but heh, what the heck It wouldn't be worth my time upgrading, actually I just looked and this comp was originally Windows 95 upgraded to 98!! WooHoo!! I'll have to check out new comps for the near future. At least it lets me post here....for now
                1996 White T/A, LT-1 auto with only aftermarket Flowmasters, shift kit, and a LG Motorsports G2 cold air kit.....that's it! She can't eat all the 'Stangs but will die trying.

Currently on the clock: 120K

Comment

If you're running win98, your computer will be hard pressed to run XP...

Keep in mind guys that Win98 runs on the same hardware as Win95.
                  If this computer inquestion was 'upgraded' to Win98, then we're talking PentiumII's with 32 megs of ram... and if you're lucky, a 4gig hard drive. *L*

Windows XP runs on Pentium III @ 700mhz, but even that can bog down quickly depending on your applications.

As a forumer computer tech, I'd recomend running XP on nothing less than a Pentium III @ 800mhz with 256megs of ram and at least 4 gigs of freespace for disk caching.

If you're computer doesn't meet those specs:

You can upgrade the case to a 3Ghz Pentium 4 with a no a frills motherboard + 1 gig of ram for 400ish US. Of corse that depends on where you shop, brand names and options on the motherboard...
                  On top of that, you'll have to shell out 100 bucks for a new Windows XP. (upgrade version.. full blown stand alone is more)
                  Yes you can get a cracked or pir8 version, but you won't be able to do the Service pack 2 update... don't ask me how I know... >_>

Budget wise and thinking ahead for the next few years... drop that 400 or 500 on a new computer. You'll get a nice speedy computer for regular office and home use and if you opt for the right options.. you'll be able to play some newer games on it.
                  Plus you get the 1 year warrenty piece of mind...
                  Just make sure its a reputable computer shop that you goto and not a Future Shop. Sure they have dirt cheap PC's, but in the end, you get what you pay for. And their service isn't exactly stellar... =\

Of corse everyone's experience varries.
                  Best Buy might be a better choice over Future Shop, but Best Buy owns Future Shop as well...

+1 for the new/newer puter!

Comment

I have a bootable cd rom with SP2 already built into it. It worked fine the entire time I had it and you can update it. I don't use that desktop much since I got this laptop with a legit version though.

Just try to take the TT back and use the online version. It's pretty much the same.

Originally posted by Rede
                    Yes you can get a cracked or pir8 version, but you won't be able to do the Service pack 2 update... don't ask me how I know... >_>
                    97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

01 Honda CBR600 F4i-Two bro's,Corbins,SS brake lines

Comment

well if you just want a good to use computer I picked mine up at best buy for 300ish. It won't win any power contest but it stores my music and lets me surf the net without any hassles. So thats an option.
                      1990 Eagle talon TSI- daily driver

78' firebird formula -350/350- stock...now dead

Comment

Originally posted by raroZ28
                        I have a bootable cd rom with SP2 already built into it. It worked fine the entire time I had it and you can update it. I don't use that desktop much since I got this laptop with a legit version though.

Just try to take the TT back and use the online version. It's pretty much the same.
                        There maybe work around now for sp2, but Microshaft is getting rather anal about checking for 'genuine' microsoft software.
                        Try updating internet exploiter, Media Player, Direct X or any other of the numerous windows updates through the windows update page and you'll run into several authentic product checks...

Comment

Originally posted by Rede
                          There maybe work around now for sp2, but Microshaft is getting rather anal about checking for 'genuine' microsoft software.
                          Try updating internet exploiter, Media Player, Direct X or any other of the numerous windows updates through the windows update page and you'll run into several authentic product checks...
                          Ya,
                          a friend of mine ran into that same problem on HIS computer that I had nothing to do with.
                          My DD
                          2015 Lexus GS350 FSport

My toy

Comment

Working...
                          X