am i acting too old?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• am i acting too old?

heres a lil details on the convo with a friend of mine, hes pushing me to either get a 350 for my third gen(i have a 400 long block needing pistons), or sell everything and get a 4th gen. i cant afford a 4th gen, i have gone over it many of times and it just wont work out. im in college, paying for that, paying my dad back for money he lent me, paid my credit card off finally(that sucker is staying in my toolbox, aint using it again ) heres what he said to me

ricebbird: you just dont want to make hte big step, your use to makin baby steps
    ricebbird: GET a ******* 4th gen
    ricebbird: and until you do
    ricebbird: Im gunna be pissed at you

and

ricebbird: The fact that your a big cat and you cant sell your 3rd gen

now since i have other things frist then my car(including saving up so me and my gf can go away for a week for our anny) does it mean im acting too old for my age or is he just inmature? i dont have alot of spare cash to spend. i told him millions of times i would give up my car if i had to, to help me and my girl do something we want 2. just need every1s opinons
    2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

you're never too young for fiscal responsibility.

you are young, there'll be plenty of time in the future for "making the big step."

taking care of debts is way bigger than a fun toy any day of the week.
    Living in the pools, They soon forget about the sea...— Rush, "Natural Science" (1980)

Formerly "gauSSian" from my f-body days.

Comment

How old is ricebird.. 16 and living with his parrents??

I'm in the same boat as you.. only I'm no in college, but I'm still dirt ass poor.

The fourth gens are great, but you don't NEED one.
      In the end, its just a car. It'll cost you the total price, insurence and maint cost like any other. There does seem to be a huge selection of parts available for them which help get you the best bang for your buck. Then again I've only owned my first 4th gen for 5 months, so there might very well be a wide selction of previous generation performance parts available too...

I don't really see why you should have to sell your car and the motor that only needs a few more goodies to complete it and buy a 4th gen just to make someone happy. If anyone, it should be you that's happy. And of corse your g/f, or you'll never here the end of it... *L*

If you maxed you're self out in debit to buy a 4th gen... you won't be able to aford anything else for a longer period of time.

Pay some of your depits off first to ease up a bit of extra cash and finish your project first.. then if you get a chance, go for a spin in a 4th gen and take one for a test drive. If you fall in love with it, then decide if you want to part with your previous one.

I think you're on the right track.

Maybe its not a question of acting too old.. more of a matter of responcablility and a sign of maturity. *nods lots*

Comment

hes the same age as me, he jsut has it better cuz he program computers and bunch other computer work an hauls in like 4K a month but i've driving a 4th gen be4 (95 z28, 30K on it, long tubes, slp LM, 3.73s, LT4 kit) it was nice but i can wait to get one.

i love my third gen but my co-worker said it the best today, a friend might say its nice, but i say its got a bubble hear, paint is scatched and crakced etc. my boss and co-workers said i got a hell of a deal on a clean car.

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

Time for a new friend, not a new car.

99 Silver Z28 A4, T tops, ZR-1 wheels (SOLD)

Comment

like Mark said... its not a matter of "old"..its a matter of being wise and responsible. u r doing the right thing. tell him "my grandfather lived to be 93"......when he says "from what...being conservative like that" tell him.."no...from minding his own business"...........

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
            Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
            sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

i would tell him to either shove it or he cna buy you the car if he thinks thats the way to go - till then screw him and NO not in that way - sheesh

Comment

Best bet is to ignore him.

What I can tell you from my experience, is that College is designed for teaching skills for more technical jobs, but one thing they do not teach is Fiscal responsibility, how to handle credit cards or didly squat anything economic related (the way money lenders want it). If it that isn't your major, so you are pretty much on your own to figure out the best way to handle your $, and the only way you learn is from experience.

Nice cars are a luxury, meaning you can do without. A car is not your #1 priority in Life. I can tell you, but the only way anyone understands is from experience. This is the way it is. Worry about finishing college first, landing that job, saving enough extra $ to buy the car outright. You need to know your priorities with your $ first, before spending even 75 cents on a snickers bar.

- signed the school of hard knocks
                Rhode Island Red *Lurker since 1997*

2002 Firehawk #0035/1503 !Cags | !Air | !PCV | Airborn-coated Kooks LT's | Powerbond UD Pulley | Custom Cam | Ported Oil pump | LS2 timing chain | Comp 918's | Hardened push rods | LSS | BMR STB | SLP Bolt-on SFC's | drill mod |TB Bypass | Ported TB | Custom Dyno tuning | 160* thermostat | LS7 Clutch
                Ordered: May 1, 2001 Built: June 1, 2001 Delivered August 25, 2001
                pics and info

Comment

You're doing the right thing.

You'll be in a better place a couple years from now. If you got the 4th gen, you would be in a huge hole. Not worth it.

Who knows? Maybe in a few years, you'll be able to own a 5th gen.
                  SOLD: 2002 Trans Am WS.6 - Black on Black - 6 Speed
                  SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
                  17K Miles

2005 Acura TL - Silver on Black
                  Navigation - Surround Audio - Bluetooth

Comment

Originally posted by Rhode Island Red
                    Best bet is to ignore him.

What I can tell you from my experience, is that College is designed for teaching skills for more technical jobs, but one thing they do not teach is Fiscal responsibility, how to handle credit cards or didly squat anything economic related (the way money lenders want it). If it that isn't your major, so you are pretty much on your own to figure out the best way to handle your $, and the only way you learn is from experience.

Nice cars are a luxury, meaning you can do without. A car is not your #1 priority in Life. I can tell you, but the only way anyone understands is from experience. This is the way it is. Worry about finishing college first, landing that job, saving enough extra $ to buy the car outright. You need to know your priorities with your $ first, before spending even 75 cents on a snickers bar.

- signed the school of hard knocks

Wise words that one should heed.

I mostly drive high mileage POS cars. Every time I stop at the gas pump I tell myself it could be worse....... not only getting raped at the gas pump I could also be dumping boatloads of money into car and insurance payments to drive the exact same miles. Besides, never let someone else talk you into to buying something that you really don't want.

Comment

...what's wrong with owning a third gen? You can upgrade your car the same way that we can upgrade ours. What's stopping you from dropping in an LT1/4 or LSX motor down the line? If you don't have money, you don't have money. I wouldn't go killing myself thinking about finances (after all, we're young and have to enjoy the heck out of it while we still can), but you don't have to bury yourself in a financial ditch to do stuff with your car either. Start putting a little bit of your paycheck aside each week. Eventually, you'll have a decent sum. You can either use it to pay something off if necessary, or if you're caught up with all of your payments, start modding. That's what I plan on doing. It adds up fast.
                      Red 95 Trans Am: M6, Moroso CAI, Magnaflow, Spohn sway bars, back to life as of 2/15/10!!!
                      SOLD- Kinda miss it
                      94 Del Sol VTEC: 27 city/ 33 highway, knee deep in slowness
                      SOLD- Good riddance!
                      2006 Ford Fusion: 2.3, 5 speed, could run 15lbs of boost with a 150 shot and it'd still be slow

Comment

Get a kick ass job, make lots of money & then go out an buy your toys. Thats the way to do it. I drove a 89 Mazda 626 & a couple POS thirdgens while I was going to school. Now I have to choose which toy I will drive/ride each day.(See below) hehe

Ive not nothing on Norm when it comes to toys though.
                        No F-Body right now

Comment

Not sure how much you make, but if you're a full time college student and you're at least 18, which judging by your username I'd imagine you are, check this out-

https://www.enterprisejobs.com/default.asp

It's a car rental company. Create an account and check out either car prep or their internship program.

I'm not exactly sure how it works in your area, but here on Long Island, I get paid $9 an hour to wash and drive cars all friggin day lol. I don't think they're technically supposed to have car preps driving their cars, but I'm yet to hear about a single place that doesn't have their preps driving people home, picking them up, taking cars from place to place, etc. They treat me well, my co workers are great, the pay is good in comparison to other part time jobs at say, food stores, Best Buy, etc, plus the job is not only easy, it's fun! They pay me to drive cars! I can't get over how funny that sounds. I think I've driven 90% of what's on the road. Everything from Chevy Aveo's and Cobalts, Hyundais, Neons and Sentras to G35's, Nissan Armadas, H3's and BMW 325's. They're flexible with hours so it's easy to work around your school schedule. In addition to that, there's plenty of opportunities for you. They promote from within the company, so if you decide you want to move up to an internship, then go for their management program, there's nothing there to hold you back.
                          Red 95 Trans Am: M6, Moroso CAI, Magnaflow, Spohn sway bars, back to life as of 2/15/10!!!
                          SOLD- Kinda miss it
                          94 Del Sol VTEC: 27 city/ 33 highway, knee deep in slowness
                          SOLD- Good riddance!
                          2006 Ford Fusion: 2.3, 5 speed, could run 15lbs of boost with a 150 shot and it'd still be slow

Comment

thanx guys, im sticking with my third gen. i got a decent job for my age, i make 10$ an hour as a part-time mechanic, between 15-20 hours a week, inbetween skool and what not. the hard part is that i have a gf now and we both wanna go to mrytle beach for a week. i just got a posi rear for it, had to trade alot of parts but the guy was kind enough to work with me. my gf asked me when i was puttin it in(she likes my car ) i told her after mrytle beach, so she told me if i want i can put that money from mrytle beach towards the car instead. y cant more ppl be like that? lol

Comment

Working...
                            X