This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

don't sweat it, mang!

when you get a few more decades under your belt, you'll understand Ken did not mean that with disrespect, but rather to emphasize the vast difference in experience between someone of 60 and someone of 16. When I was 16 I knew everything.

Ken is one on the most helpful and enthusiastic folks you'll find on any board. I know he's taught me a thing or two, and I'm 43.

My advice would be just relax a bit and observe how everybody here interacts. Perhaps its a bit different than the boards you're used to, if they are predominately younger, import owners. Not putting such boards down either, just saying it's probably different.
    Living in the pools, They soon forget about the sea...— Rush, "Natural Science" (1980)

Formerly "gauSSian" from my f-body days.

Comment

Originally posted by DHolmes
      and dont sit here and act like u guyz have never raced on the street tell me how far u guyz drive to get to track bet u its not 3 hours
      2.5 hours from Sacramento Raceway; haven't been there in 7 years, and I do NOT street race.
      94 Black T/A GT, Advanced Induction 355, 3200 stall, built 4L60E, Moser 9", Baer Brakes, Shooting for 11s...

Comment

...and dont sit here and act like u guyz have never raced on the street
        I have, as have most here I would wager...and that's exactly why our advice is so valuable...we've been there, done that, and seen firsthand how irresponsible it is, and how potentially deadly it is, not only for the participants, but for innocent bystanders. I've done some pretty stupid/risky stuff in traffic, and we all know how hard it is to resist the temptation when someone in another performance car revs on you, but with power comes responsibility. we are not trying to be "holier than thou" by any means, we do understand where you're coming from. It invokes a primitive urge to answer a challenge.

Now I know you said you guys go out in the middle of nowhere, block off the road, etc, and that does minimize the risk to the innocent, but it's still risky. I'm assuming you guys do this at night? what kind of lighting do you have? how do you guys keep animals from darting out onto the road? does anyone check for hazards? what would happen if the police came along and found your roadblock and observed the racing?

Also a track offers timeslips, which accurately measures your performance, giving you insight to mods you do, and to areas you as driver need to work on to increase your performance.

Lastly, going to a track offers the satisfaction of doing the right thing, and behaving responsibly.

You stated it's been 5 months since you've raced there. Surely you guys could get up a group and make an event to go to that track 3 hours away at least that frequently. That track might even offer a group discount, you never know. It would also give you an opportunity to observe folks from a wider variety of backgrounds and makes of vehicles.
        Living in the pools, They soon forget about the sea...— Rush, "Natural Science" (1980)

Formerly "gauSSian" from my f-body days.

Comment

( i had a muscle car before u were a itch in ur dads pants)(wolfdog)thats the kinda stuff that really makes me mad,u dont see me sayin stuff like that!isnt that against ur guyz rules if i said that it would be eraced or flamed (whatever u guys call it?)i havent raced for about 5 months i just asked a simple question(can i beat my friends civic)and look wut its turned into ( the new guys 16 imature ignorant , i had a muscle car before u were a itch in ur dads pants and more) when i race its with close friends that ive Known since grade school,my dad and uncle u guyz are acting like its(the fast and the furious) and so what if i race, u guys arent my dad and hey he even races,and dont sit here and act like u guyz have never raced on the street tell me how far u guyz drive to get to track bet u its not 3 hours , all i wanted was some advice from some peaple that drive the same type of car i have now( nothin more) and i dont do it for respect i already have that when im in the ring (taekwondo blackbelt) Californa champion ,all valley champion, i do it cause its funnnnnnnnn i dont need respect from my famly and best friends
          You asked a specific question about our opinion on street racing. If you don't like the answers, why'd you ask the question? It doesn't matter who you race with, it can always turn deadly. You think just because you know the other racer well that nothing will go wrong? And yes, just about everyone here has street raced at some point, and we'll all admit it. Most o f us grow out of it, though. That's why we can speak from expeience. The risks simply aren't worth it. You street race, put people's lives in danger (whether you're willing to accept that fact or not), and at the end of the day what have you gained for your efforts and risks? Nothing. Maybe a couple of bucks if you're betting on the races, but are those couple of bucks worth a life, or the guilt you'll feel for having been involved in something that took a life or seriously injued someone? Driving is dangerous enough without adding an extra element to it. It simply isn't worth it.
          Dave M
          Life, liberty, and the pursuit of all who threaten it!

Comment

for the last time i was born 11/23/85 im not 16 but 21 do math guyz (damm)we always race in day light (racing at night is stupid)this is really in the middle off no where and is a straight away 10 miles long and like i said this is the first forum ive ever been on im not a computer guy im going to bed ill post tomorrow when im bored at work how much does going to the track cost (bakersfield californa) later i would love to go
            2000 blue mustang gt vert 5spd,18''cobra rims,light bar,stalker bodykit,lowered 2 1/2'',roush side exhaust /with x pipe ,bbk cai,power products 75mm tb and plenum Pro 5.0 3:90 gears,Custom 91 octane SCT tune

2000 red vw jetta,86k stock

1995 firebird formula ws6 clone,crashed,frame damage ,sold

Comment

It's great you minimize the risks when racing. It shows you at least acknowledge there are risks. But you can't ever eliminate the risks entirely. Machanical malfunctions happen, animals happen, people are where they aren't supposed to be, etc. You just never know. A day at the track usually costs from $10-20 depending on the track and the event you're going to. Your track probably has a wesite (most do). A quick search yielded this track in Bakersfield, don't know if it's the one you were talking aout: http://www.famosoraceway.com/ It has the schedule and all other needed info there.
              Dave M
              Life, liberty, and the pursuit of all who threaten it!

Comment

( i had a muscle car before u were a itch in ur dads pants)(wolfdog)thats the kinda stuff that really makes me mad,u dont see me sayin stuff like that!isnt that against ur guyz rules if i said that it would be eraced or flamed (whatever u guys call it?)i havent raced for about 5 months i just asked a simple question(can i beat my friends civic)and look wut its turned into ( the new guys 16 imature ignorant , i had a muscle car before u were a itch in ur dads pants and more) when i race its with close friends that ive Known since grade school,my dad and uncle u guyz are acting like its(the fast and the furious) and so what if i race, u guys arent my dad and hey he even races,and dont sit here and act like u guyz have never raced on the street tell me how far u guyz drive to get to track bet u its not 3 hours , all i wanted was some advice from some peaple that drive the same type of car i have now( nothin more) and i dont do it for respect i already have that when im in the ring (taekwondo blackbelt) Californa champion ,all valley champion, i do it cause its funnnnnnnnn i dont need respect from my famly and best friends
                You post t aquestion adn don't like the responses....... so, If you don't want a negative response, don't ask a question that gives you one. So far, all you've done is fish for street racing approval and ask questions that appear to show a serious lack of knowledge with these cars. What do you expect? You've also claimed disrepect, you bitch because YOUR threads get deleted, you also claim to be a champion, blah blah blah........ what are you really after?

At this point all you appear to be doing is trolling so that makes this whole issue done.

Comment

Working...
                X