Looking for suggestions on a daily driver

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for suggestions on a daily driver

I'm getting a pretty hefty tax return, so I think I'll finally have enough to get a daily driver. I live in NY so snow is an issue. Right now, I want something that gets upwards of 28MPG, runs on regular gas, FWD and is (obviously) reliable. So far I have it narrowed down to-

-Hyundai Accent: 28 city/ 36 highway, there's a 2000 Accent in the paper with 48K miles on it for $2,000
    -Honda Civic- 32 city/ 38 highway
    -Nissan Sentra- 27 city/ 37 highway

I need something cheap. Paying a lot of money for a daily driver defeats my whole purpose of getting one in the first place. I'd prefer something with a manual transmission, but getting an auto wouldn't be the end of the world. Any suggestions? How are Neons? Maybe a late 90's- early 00's model? I appreciate any advice or recommendations. Thanks in advance guys
    Red 95 Trans Am: M6, Moroso CAI, Magnaflow, Spohn sway bars, back to life as of 2/15/10!!!
    SOLD- Kinda miss it
    94 Del Sol VTEC: 27 city/ 33 highway, knee deep in slowness
    SOLD- Good riddance!
    2006 Ford Fusion: 2.3, 5 speed, could run 15lbs of boost with a 150 shot and it'd still be slow

civic and sentra not bad chocies, stay away from hyundai. never had a good exprenice with them. look at toyota corrolas also and chevy malibu(same drivetrain, different bodies, like well F-bodies lol)
    2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

eclipse GSX, cheap fast and good mpg, nightrage seen u like muaythai,and kickboxing im a blackbelt in taekwondo,i love martial arts too i live close to chuck lidel the iceman(UFC) im going to start at his dojo next month
      2000 blue mustang gt vert 5spd,18''cobra rims,light bar,stalker bodykit,lowered 2 1/2'',roush side exhaust /with x pipe ,bbk cai,power products 75mm tb and plenum Pro 5.0 3:90 gears,Custom 91 octane SCT tune

2000 red vw jetta,86k stock

1995 firebird formula ws6 clone,crashed,frame damage ,sold

Comment

Originally posted by 88bird5spd
        civic and sentra not bad chocies, stay away from hyundai. never had a good exprenice with them. look at toyota corrolas also and chevy malibu(same drivetrain, different bodies, like well F-bodies lol)
        My friend has one and she had to replace the trans at like 60k. She drives like a granny and it was her grandpa's before she got it. That will cost more money than it will save.

The civic is the obvious best choice.
        97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

01 Honda CBR600 F4i-Two bro's,Corbins,SS brake lines

Comment

Originally posted by 88bird5spd
          civic and sentra not bad chocies, stay away from hyundai. never had a good experience with them. look at toyota corrolas also and chevy malibu(same drivetrain, different bodies, like well F-bodies lol)
          How are Corrolas? I've always felt that Toyotas don't get the gas mileage that similar cars seem to be able to achieve. At least according to what I've read. I'll definitely check into a Malibu though. We have them at work and I love them.

Originally posted by DHolmes
          eclipse GSX, cheap fast and good mpg, nightrage seen u like muaythai,and kickboxing im a blackbelt in taekwondo,i love martial arts too i live close to chuck lidel the iceman(UFC) im going to start at his dojo next month
          I love the look of the Eclipse, but they go for (usually) no less than $4,500 with high mileage around here. I'm not looking to pay that much for a DD. I've heard things that make me question their reliability as well. I'd take an Eclipse in a heartbeat though.

I definitely love martial arts as well I did 3 months of Muay Thai at a terrible, terrible school. Simply put, they sucked. Put me into a lot of bad habits and didn't do anything for me. Probably did more harm than good. Now I'm at an amazing dojo which teaches kickboxing and ground fighting. I've been there for about 8 months. I actually have my first fight (fingers crossed) coming up in May if I can find an opponent. I always swore I'd never compete, but I was bitten by the competition bug.

What's 'ol Chucky charge to train at his place? Matt Serra's school is a few blocks from my house, but he charges $180 per month. That's rediculous. I'd never pay that. I can't imagine Liddell's place being much cheaper.
          Red 95 Trans Am: M6, Moroso CAI, Magnaflow, Spohn sway bars, back to life as of 2/15/10!!!
          SOLD- Kinda miss it
          94 Del Sol VTEC: 27 city/ 33 highway, knee deep in slowness
          SOLD- Good riddance!
          2006 Ford Fusion: 2.3, 5 speed, could run 15lbs of boost with a 150 shot and it'd still be slow

Comment

The Geo Prizm is the machanical twin to the Toyota Corolla, not the Malibu.

Both are worthwhile choices though...not much the Malibu.

For strict transportation purposes only, I'd get a 91-92 Civic Hatchback. 40+ mpg with the 5 speed is a no brainer.

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
            Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
            B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
            Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
            Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

ahh thank u for corecting me, but i think a couple years they were the same. but either way if u can get a malibu with the newer eco-tech 2.2L u will be happy. i have an 02 alero and i get bour 27 in the town and have gotten near 40mpg on the highway doing about 70mph. my only complaint? i wish i got my alero witheh 5spd manual
              2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

Buy American.

Comment

Well my talon is accually more realiable then my DD right now, but that could because I got a ford... but a DSM can be reliable. You just need to be extremly anal about everything, and well in my opinion that makes it a bad choice for a DD.
                  1990 Eagle talon TSI- daily driver

78' firebird formula -350/350- stock...now dead

Comment

my DD (94 corsica) cost me $875 2 1/2 years ago

I'd say buy used 3-7 years old (in new england - any older your risking rot and other issues -mine dd was the exception), save the monetary depreciation of a new car, and get a cheap and reliable beater. Save the cash for a rainy day or more car mods. You never expect those random unforeseen large expenses until they happen. There are many cars out there and all manufacturers have their problems, just go with what suits your needs the cheapest.

honda civic - damned reliable
                    Chevy cobalt - great car!

just see what's around, has been kept in good condition
                    Rhode Island Red *Lurker since 1997*

2002 Firehawk #0035/1503 !Cags | !Air | !PCV | Airborn-coated Kooks LT's | Powerbond UD Pulley | Custom Cam | Ported Oil pump | LS2 timing chain | Comp 918's | Hardened push rods | LSS | BMR STB | SLP Bolt-on SFC's | drill mod |TB Bypass | Ported TB | Custom Dyno tuning | 160* thermostat | LS7 Clutch
                    Ordered: May 1, 2001 Built: June 1, 2001 Delivered August 25, 2001
                    pics and info

Comment

Civic in a 5-speed gets my vote.

They are plentiful, reliable, and the gas mileage is great.
                      SOLD: 2002 Trans Am WS.6 - Black on Black - 6 Speed
                      SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
                      17K Miles

2005 Acura TL - Silver on Black
                      Navigation - Surround Audio - Bluetooth

Comment

What's 'ol Chucky charge to train at his place? Matt Serra's school is a few blocks from my house, but he charges $180 per month. That's rediculous. I'd never pay that. I can't imagine Liddell's place being much cheaper.[/QUOTE] theres actually 3 schools here that chuck owns co owns,theres one in AG that chucks trainer teaches $90 -$110 a month,one in santmaria where u learn from a guy that was taught buy chuck,chuck comes once a week $90 dollars,then one in sanluis were chuck lives but i dont now the detials on that one,180 outragious,i pay $59 at taekwondo but i get a discount cause i teach classes,ive won the ,all valleys open,2 californa gold cups,and the sheriffs cup,and have gotten 2nd and 3rd in many others.competions are cool but u have to wait around all day to fight 4 -5 fights that have 2-3 rounds that are 2 mins each,and pay 50-60 dollares to go, so im getting a little burntout ive been to about 10 , if u learn badhabits its hard to break them,im trying to break a few wright now,later
                        2000 blue mustang gt vert 5spd,18''cobra rims,light bar,stalker bodykit,lowered 2 1/2'',roush side exhaust /with x pipe ,bbk cai,power products 75mm tb and plenum Pro 5.0 3:90 gears,Custom 91 octane SCT tune

Comment

Yeah a five speed Civic or you could always get a Geo with an I3 and a five speed.

Comment

how bout a accord more hp then a civic or a acura integra ,but id go for the DSM

Comment

how bout a accord more hp then a civic or a acura integra ,but id go for the DSM
                              As a DSM owner and someone who spends all his free time on DSM fourms, Unless its a Non-turbo, you could easily spend thousands doing just maintance. The non-turbo's are gutless as all hell BUT they are reliable. Depending on the year you either get a motor that was built to handle a turbo(but with higher compression), or you get a neon motor. Again a DSM can be a DD but you must have time to care and love the car. Hence why I wouldn't recomend it for a DD.
                              1990 Eagle talon TSI- daily driver

78' firebird formula -350/350- stock...now dead

Comment

Working...
                              X