Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blew A Tire! Need Tire Suggestions...

Let me explain the story first...

I was on my way home from work Friday. I was going over a narrow causeway when I saw what looked like a chunk of ice in the road. Usually, I avoid stuff like that just in case, but I had nowhere to go due to oncoming traffic. I had to run it over.

Yup... It wasn't ice. Shredded the sidewall on my passenger side front. Here's my issue. When I bought my Acura back in October, I told the dealership to throw new meats on the car because it had 20K on the clock. They put Duralon Widetracks on the car. They're a sub-company of Firestone. The tires actually performed okay. They rode really nice, but the wet traction left a little to be desired. I didn't really mind the choice they went with.

Fast forward to Friday. I come to find out, Duralon was cut from Firestone in December and are now in limbo. I can't find this tire anywhere, especially in this size (235/45/17).

I decided to just buy four new tires and get a set I really like. Here are my three choices...

Dunlop Direzza DZ101
    BFG G-Force Sport
    Yokohama AVS ES100

So far, the Dunlops are my choice. I'm ordering later today.

These tires are all under $100 at the tire shop I go to. They sell for just over $100 at Tire Rack.

Any suggestions in this price range? I'd like to stick to name brand after this whole fiasco.
    SOLD: 2002 Trans Am WS.6 - Black on Black - 6 Speed
    SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
    17K Miles

2005 Acura TL - Silver on Black
    Navigation - Surround Audio - Bluetooth

i love yokohama's.

I bought Nitto 450 or 455's. They've done me well over the past year. Check them out.
    97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

01 Honda CBR600 F4i-Two bro's,Corbins,SS brake lines

Comment

I ended up ordering the Dunlops. I read a few reviews, both user and professional. For the money, they sound like a great tire. They have a real nice balance between ride and handling. Certainly better than what was on my car already.
      SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
      17K Miles

Comment

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....e1=yes&place=1

we sell these at my work now, and we have gotten numerous thank yous and what not. and they blance up nearly perfect everytime
        2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

Originally posted by 88bird5spd
          http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....e1=yes&place=1

we sell these at my work now, and we have gotten numerous thank yous and what not. and they blance up nearly perfect everytime
          I considered those actually. They probably would work out nicely, except after the whole issue I just went through with a non-name branded tire, I wanted to stick with the big guys this time. However, I've heard good things about Fusion and Sumitomo as well.
          SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
          17K Miles

Comment

Sumi's are ok.. big company.......... but Fusies....... not me brother.

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
            Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
            sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

Ah...Fuzion HR'i's. I have those on the Sebring Convertible. IMHO they don't belong on an F-body. Fuzion's are being marketed to the sport tuner crowd, but there are better options out there, especially if you're getting a dedicated summer tire.

Hope you enjoy the Sumi's!
              Joe K.
              '11 BMW 328i
              '10 Matrix S AWD
              Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

Originally posted by wolfdogs
                Sumi's are ok.. big company.......... but Fusies....... not me brother.
                What do you think of Dunlop as a whole, Ken.

Any good? I just got the tires in last night. Mounting them today. They look like a real nice tire. Never had much experience with them.
                SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
                17K Miles

Comment

Working...
                X