Home Brewing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home Brewing

I just started getting into home brewing. I've been talking about it for a bit and my brother got me a decent beginner's kit for Christmas. Is anyone else brewing beer here?

My first batch was bottled last weekend and I'm a couple weeks before I put some in the fridge. I probably could've done a better job, but am correcting some things with the second batch. This is turning out to be fun and I haven't even tried the first one yet.

I'm not into cooking, but for this I'll make an exception.
    Joe K.
    '11 BMW 328i
    '10 Matrix S AWD
    Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

I want to, i've looked into it a lot but I still live at home. No way it's going to fly with the way it smells. I will do it one day.

Make it hoppy man. Nothin beats a nice IPA.
    97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

01 Honda CBR600 F4i-Two bro's,Corbins,SS brake lines

Comment

I thought it might smell, but if you get the right recipe kit it won't. There are no boil kits with condensed hopped malt syrup already boiled. Combine it with just boiled water add a combination of dried malt extract and sugar, throw it together with cooling water, add yeast.

I'm using a 6 gallon plastic bucket as a fermenter. It has a tight lid and airlock. The only thing that gets out is some CO2 and you can't really smell it at all.

Now if you go from scratch and boil malt extract and hops...sure that'll get a strong smell going, but you don't have to.
      Joe K.
      '11 BMW 328i
      '10 Matrix S AWD
      Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

My brother is huge into it. Been doing it for several years now.

He makes a pilsner that is unreal. Once you get into it more, you'll have fun messing with the receipes and adding things to make it taste different.
        SOLD: 2002 Trans Am WS.6 - Black on Black - 6 Speed
        SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
        17K Miles

2005 Acura TL - Silver on Black
        Navigation - Surround Audio - Bluetooth

Comment

I'm considering trying my hand a home wine making in a year or two when my grape harvest is sizeable enough. I don't have wine-specific varieties of grapes, but I'd still like to try. As it is now, I make jam/jelly with them and my blueberries and strawberries. BTW, i get rave reviews about my jam!
          Dave M
          Life, liberty, and the pursuit of all who threaten it!

Comment

Originally posted by Dave M
            I'm considering trying my hand a home wine making in a year or two when my grape harvest is sizeable enough. I don't have wine-specific varieties of grapes, but I'd still like to try. As it is now, I make jam/jelly with them and my blueberries and strawberries. BTW, i get rave reviews about my jam!
            That's great.

I love homemade jam and jelly. My Grandmother used to make it when I was little. I love concord grapes right off the vine.
            SOLD: 2002 Trans Am WS.6 - Black on Black - 6 Speed
            SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
            17K Miles

2005 Acura TL - Silver on Black
            Navigation - Surround Audio - Bluetooth

Comment

Working...
            X