Anyone with a GTO inside please

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone with a GTO inside please

There's a person around the corner with a 2005 LS2 GTO forsale with under 5k miles on it. I went and looked at it and when they started it, it sounded like it had quite a bit of piston slap. I'm really not that familiar with the LS series engines, is this normal? I did take it around the block for a test drive and it seemed to run fine.. Just curious...

Thanks
    2005 GTO (mine) K&N CAI and Magnaflow exhaust, drilled and slotted rotors, and other minor mods.
    1994 Formula (mine) SOLD 6-23-08 Still miss it
    2002 V6 Firebird (wifes)
    2013 GMC Sierra (mine)
    2011 Cadillac CTS4 (wifes)

Only a hand full of early ls1's came with the slapping piston problem. it was cured in 2000 I believe with not issues to performance. LS1's are known to have a tick tick during cold start ups...that's from the lifters and oil circulation. Once it warms up the ticking should subside. I figure Ls2s are in the same ball park. Working at a dealership, cranking up Vettes and Trailblazer SS's I never heard ticking...my LS1, I do though.

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
    Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
    B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
    Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
    Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

the LS2 makes alittle noise when first started but its not piston slap, it goes away in no time. its a good motor. im at 10k with my car and its only been to the dealer 3 times.........for an oil change.

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
      Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
      sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

Originally posted by wolfdogs
        the LS2 makes alittle noise when first started but its not piston slap, it goes away in no time. its a good motor. im at 10k with my car and its only been to the dealer 3 times.........for an oil change.
        Real men (especially grotesquely overdeveloped ones) do their own oil changes.

Yeah, my '98 LS1 makes a little "slapping" noise when cold, but quickly silences itself. 30K miles.
        R.i.K.

'98 WS6 TA (white, of course!), Hurst Billet/Plus shifter, BBK intake manifold, McGard “blue-ring” lug nuts (12x1.5), PowerSlot brake rotors, Hawk brake pads, Stainless steel braided brake lines, Pontiac arrow, Hotchkis strut tower brace, MBA MAF ends, Reflective Concepts lettering, MTI carbon-fiber look airbox lid . . . and one greying, somewhat eccentric owner.

Comment

Working...
        X