265's on 8" Rim? Wolfman?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 265's on 8" Rim? Wolfman?

I have been wanting to get a new set of rims. I have some stockers. 16x8.
    I need some more meat out back but dont have the money for a rim and tire combo. I have 245's and they are complete trash and slip all the time. Is it possible to put some 265's or is 255's the biggest I can go. Wolfman, Some help please.
    Eddie
    2000 M6 Trans Am
    Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Originally posted by ConElite
    I have been wanting to get a new set of rims. I have some stockers. 16x8.
    I need some more meat out back but dont have the money for a rim and tire combo. I have 245's and they are complete trash and slip all the time. Is it possible to put some 265's or is 255's the biggest I can go. Wolfman, Some help please.
    Take the measurement of the rim and multiply by 1.15, that will give you the ideal treadwidth for a given rim assuming a normal aspect ratio and not something like a 20 series or 80 series sidewall. In the case of an 8 inch wheel, a 245 is really ideal and a 255 is just a little larger but still within recommended. Can you fit a 265, yes..... but as you go wider, the rim doesn't and ends up pulling the tire bead inward, giving you less sidewall stability and typically causes the tread to not sit even with the ground at recommended pressures. a 265 tire really needs a 9" wheel minimum to work well. you would likely be better off with a better grade 245 or 255 tire, something that is really sticky.

Comment

Thanks alot Joe. 255's its going to have to be... oh well. Im planning on some 265 DR's on 16x8's for the track should work. I have some 15" BFG DR's but I cant find some rims with a decent off-set. I have them on some old rims but they stick out of the fender like crazy. Maybe I can find some Cheap Steel wheels under $200. That would be a better choice instead of spending $160 a pc for new DR's.
      Eddie
      2000 M6 Trans Am
      Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

Who makes 265 drag radials for 16" wheels? Most companies make either 245/50-16 or 255/50-16 drag radials. You can put a wider tire on, but you need to look at the tire manufacturer's recommendations. You're going to find that the allowable section width vs. wheel width is wider when you go to a higher aspect ratio.

BFG made a mid-level Radial T/A (not a drag radial) in 265/50-16, and it was acceptable on an 8.0" wide wheel. If you went up to a 275/65-16 it would also be OK on an 8.0" wide wheel, but then you would have a 30" tire that wouldn't fit in the wheel wells.

If you want to run 15" drag radials, get a 15x8 Weld Pro-Star or Draglite, with a 5.5" backspace. For wider tires, they have a 15x10" with 7.5" backspace.
        Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

what joe said. thats too much tire for an 8" rim broh.

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
          Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
          sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

Originally posted by Injuneer
            Who makes 265 drag radials for 16" wheels? Most companies make either 245/50-16 or 255/50-16 drag radials. You can put a wider tire on, but you need to look at the tire manufacturer's recommendations. You're going to find that the allowable section width vs. wheel width is wider when you go to a higher aspect ratio.

BFG made a mid-level Radial T/A (not a drag radial) in 265/50-16, and it was acceptable on an 8.0" wide wheel. If you went up to a 275/65-16 it would also be OK on an 8.0" wide wheel, but then you would have a 30" tire that wouldn't fit in the wheel wells.

If you want to run 15" drag radials, get a 15x8 Weld Pro-Star or Draglite, with a 5.5" backspace. For wider tires, they have a 15x10" with 7.5" backspace.
            Thanks Fred. Yeah I was looking at the recommended wheel width and for the 265/45-ZR16's is:

Rim
            Width
            Range - 8-10"

Meas.
            Rim
            Width- 9"

There Are some BFG 255/50ZR16. This seems a little more Ideal for my car.

Rim
            Width
            Range - 7-9"

Meas.
            Rim
            Width- 8"
            What Do you think?
            Eddie
            2000 M6 Trans Am
            Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

Working...