There is a future where high hp and lower emissions meet

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• There is a future where high hp and lower emissions meet

I ran across this research article on what's being done for future engines and had to share... Just get this engine in hot rodders hands ...Just imagine the possibilities

Researchers have created the first computational model to track engine performance from one combustion cycle to the next for a new type of engine that could dramatically reduce oil consumption and the emission of global-warming pollutants.

..designing engines so that their intake and exhaust valves are no longer driven by mechanisms connected to the pistons.
    ...In today's internal combustion engines, the pistons turn a crankshaft, which is linked to a camshaft that opens and closes the valves, directing the flow of air and exhaust into and out of the cylinders. The new method would eliminate the mechanism linking the crankshaft to the camshaft, providing an independent control system for the valves.
    ...The concept, known as variable valve actuation, would enable significant improvements in conventional gasoline and diesel engines used in cars and trucks...
    ...would allow the United States to drastically reduce its dependence on foreign oil and the production of harmful exhaust emissions.
    ...The homogeneous charge compression ignition technique would make it possible to improve the efficiency of gasoline engines by 15 percent to 20 percent, making them as efficient as diesel engines while nearly eliminating smog-generating nitrogen oxides
    ...more precise control of the fuel-air mixture and combustion inside each cylinder, eliminating "fuel rich" pockets seen in conventional diesel engines, resulting in little or no emission of pollutants called particulates
    ...The system also makes it possible to alter the amount of compression in the cylinders..
    ...The process also allows for a uniform "auto ignition," or combustion without the need of a spark, at a lower compression than normally required for diesel engines, reducing engine wear and tear...
    ...The homogeneous fuel-air mixture and reinducted exhaust work together to eliminate this temperature gradient during the auto-ignition, which decreases the overall combustion temperature. Decreasing the combustion temperature is a key step in dramatically reducing nitrogen oxides....
    Link to article
    Rhode Island Red *Lurker since 1997*

2002 Firehawk #0035/1503 !Cags | !Air | !PCV | Airborn-coated Kooks LT's | Powerbond UD Pulley | Custom Cam | Ported Oil pump | LS2 timing chain | Comp 918's | Hardened push rods | LSS | BMR STB | SLP Bolt-on SFC's | drill mod |TB Bypass | Ported TB | Custom Dyno tuning | 160* thermostat | LS7 Clutch
    Ordered: May 1, 2001 Built: June 1, 2001 Delivered August 25, 2001
    pics and info

I remember studying this in an engines calss when I was in college. I can't remember the name of the cycle rightnow (maybe I'll go dig around to try to find it). If I remember, the engine had no throttle; it was, with respect to current engines today, at "full throttle" all the time. The engine power was varied using the same technology as this research; variable valve operation. It was way more efficient than todays "otto" cycle.
    We didn't study the "no spark" aspect though.
    '96 Firebird Formula, LT1, stock, automatic

Comment

Don't mean to be a downer, but sounds like it's still a ways off if it ever comes. There's big difference between computational model and working model.

Still, I'd love to have my cake and eat it too. Especially if it means using less gas.
      Joe K.
      '11 BMW 328i
      '10 Matrix S AWD
      Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

Working...
      X