Question About My Profession

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question About My Profession

Ok I am currently working at a Caterpillar Dealer here in Kansas City MO, I absolutely love my job, as a Diesel Technician here. However I absolutely can not stand the "polotics" here. Everyone back stabbing everyone else to get a hands up on them. I feel like my older brother (also a diesel technician) and I are about the only straight forward people at the company. This place is worse than high school everyone starting rumors and back stabbing and such. And I believe that for my experience, abilities, and resume I'm getting under paid in comparison to others.

I have recently come across a possibility to change professions to what I would consider my absolute passion. Now I said possibility I'm still to hear back from the company. They told me that they have a huge event coming up this weekend and wouldn't be getting to the job opening until next week or the following. But to put it in perspective outside of my my I eat, sleep, and live automotive and diesel performance. The job opening that I applied for is to be a Performance Technician at ATI ProCharger. At this job I would answer questions/help with problems via email or phone calls, maintain the test vehicles, help with new product development, and load/unload the trailers to and from all of the major shows across the nation, and also help at the booth's at the show's.

Now my question is I would be taking about a 5-10K a year pay cut going to ProCharger if it comes through. What would you guys do in my situation. Stay with the money or go with the "passion"?

Thanks for the help
    '95 T/A Conv., Green, Tan Top
    '00 T/A Silver
    '86 Chevy RCSB 4WD (LS1 to go in)

can u afford it? will u make the same amount of money in time? what bout insurance and such? since ur a diesel tech, u have alot of places u can go. heartland, schnider, swift, etc. all need techs to mantain their fleet and pay is good, so is the benefits. i would look into other jobs besides the passion, im in the mists of a career change. im leaving my auto tech job and gonna drive trucks. i love working on cars but at the end of the day im sick and tired of working on cars i lost the lust plus i cant picture myself in the trade. altho my new job im gettin paid more to start and get benefits which i never had be4
    2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

Go with your passion, no doubt about that. For a single person with no kids, you really don't have any other priorities that outweigh your passion. I would take a 5-10k paycut right now to go do what I want to do and not even think twice about it, but that opportunity has not presented itself yet.

I am in a similar boat as you. I work for a car dealer, and the problem I have is that all the employees get along great, we just hate the company. We were bought out about 6 months ago, and I knew what was going to happen. They say nothing's gonna change, EVERYTHING'S gonna change, and did it ever. I can't get into details because I still work there, but we've lost probably 40% of our work force (at buyout time we were at about 90 people) including most of the upper management, and they've only hired about 10 people, and most of them have been salesman. They changed so much stuff that they didn't have to fire anybody, they all just quit! So the backstabbing has been by the corporation, not the employees. The only reason I stay now is for the friendships I've built and just to see what all they're gonna let the beancounters screw up this week. But there's a storm brewing on the horizon so I may not be there much longer, even though I don't have anything else lined up.

There is no amount of money that can make up for your sanity and where your heart lies. If you can't be happy doing what you're doing, then you need to move on, and when given the opportunity to go do something that you love AND get paid for it, not to mention with a company that's actually progressing forward, you'd be crazy not to take it. As long as you don't have a wife and kids to take care of, or if you do and you could still live with room to spare on the bills and stuff, I say take it as soon as it's offered!
      "No, officer, that bottle is my onboard Halon system"

Comment

ATI Procharger all the way. Although I beleive money does buy happiness to a certain extent, I think you would be happier doing what you want to do with your life. Who knows, maybe you will look back on it and be like "best decision of my life". Plus isn't there an oppertunity for a raise after a certain amount of time with ATI?

2002 Firehawk Sold

Comment

I won't make as much at ATI as I would as a diesel tech. Most people underestimate the wages of a good diesel technician. At a good Caterpillar dealership a technician has alot of possibilities. Some at my dealership cleared 100K last year.

But that's beside the point, I'm not married and no kids. I'm pretty sure that I would be able to make it with the pay cut. I just would have to be a little more careful with my money. I imagine that after time I woud go up in pay at ATI of course but i doubt that I would come close to what I could make as a diesel tech.

thanks for your opinions
          '00 T/A Silver

Comment

The way you stay with a career for any length of time is to do what you have a passion for. Getting paid to do that is everyone's dream. If you think you will miss the extra dough, do a little extra mechanic work in your spare time to offset the difference in income.

Comment

One thing to consider...

In just about every place of work, there is going to be politics of some sort. Even when you find that perfect job, politics come into play down the road. Of course, there are exceptions. Hopefully, you'll find that exception.

Just do what makes you happy. If ATI is the job you'll enjoy getting up in the morning for, then it's a no-brainer. Do what you love. The money will come eventually.
              SOLD: 2002 Trans Am WS.6 - Black on Black - 6 Speed
              SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
              17K Miles

2005 Acura TL - Silver on Black
              Navigation - Surround Audio - Bluetooth

Comment

Originally posted by Steel2686
                One thing to consider...

In just about every place of work, there is going to be politics of some sort. Even when you find that perfect job, politics come into play down the road. Of course, there are exceptions. Hopefully, you'll find that exception.

That's a big point. Ya got to keep your level head above the rest.......

Comment

I have some friends that work there currently and have a few friends that used to work there. If you really really like the job and the cut in pay won't affect your lifestyle, I say go for it.
                  LS15 Power! Another LSx engine coming soon.

Comment

if do u end up going there, tell them to design a s/c for my dodge truck, they can borrow mine
                    2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

Originally posted by 88bird5spd
                      if do u end up going there, tell them to design a s/c for my dodge truck, they can borrow mine
                      pretty sure there is one for your truck already.

EDIT: yep here it is. http://www.procharger.com/TRUCK_SUV/truck_suv.shtml
                      '00 T/A Silver

Comment

One thing to consider...

Just do what makes you happy. If ATI is the job you'll enjoy getting up in the morning for, then it's a no-brainer. Do what you love. The money will come eventually.

true this I have thought about alot. I know that I will run into it one way or another no matter where I go. But I'm hoping that at ATI I can outweigh that with the want to be there.
                        '00 T/A Silver

Comment

Originally posted by Joe 1320
                          The way you stay with a career for any length of time is to do what you have a passion for. Getting paid to do that is everyone's dream. If you think you will miss the extra dough, do a little extra mechanic work in your spare time to offset the difference in income.

You are right I could do that but I always have a problem with charging people. I work on all of my friends cars but i always end up doing it for free. I'll have to look into that.
                          '00 T/A Silver

Comment

Originally posted by strkt_&_blwn
                            true this I have thought about alot. I know that I will run into it one way or another no matter where I go. But I'm hoping that at ATI I can outweigh that with the want to be there.
                            Definitely.

If ATI is your true passion, and you can deal with the pay decrease, then you will overcome whatever politics inevitably surface.

No matter what you decide, good luck!
                            SOLD: 2002 Trans Am WS.6 - Black on Black - 6 Speed
                            SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
                            17K Miles

2005 Acura TL - Silver on Black
                            Navigation - Surround Audio - Bluetooth

Comment

Definitely.

If ATI is your true passion, and you can deal with the pay decrease, then you will overcome whatever politics inevitably surface.

No matter what you decide, good luck!

Thanks Bro I appreciate that
                              '00 T/A Silver

Comment

Working...
                              X