Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

T/A Owners...are we driving somethin' "rare"??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• T/A Owners...are we driving somethin' "rare"??

This topic may have been discussed in some manner or another, so "bare" with me here

Well, I just got back from my trip north and all, and was just thinking about the # of Firebirds and T/A's I see on the roads these days. I did not see one T/A while up north, and only 2 T/A's I see on occasion in my immediate area. I do see more Camaro's, however, still only a few......and, well, every other car at the traffic light or traffic jam is a "Musturd".....way too many We won't go there!

Is there just less T/A's on the roads these days?? Obviously there would be more 'stangs because they're still in production, but it takes a miracle just to pull up next to another T/A at the red light. And, yet another miracle to come across a T/A in the '93-'97 body style. What's the deal?? Were T/A's just less produced or something? Just curious, and inquiring minds want to know
    1996 White T/A, LT-1 auto with only aftermarket Flowmasters, shift kit, and a LG Motorsports G2 cold air kit.....that's it! She can't eat all the 'Stangs but will die trying.

Currently on the clock: 120K

I may be incorrect, but I do believe more Camaro's were produced that firebirds. Like a 5:3 ratio?

2002 Firehawk Sold

Comment

Come to Detroit (I'm in Dearborn, Ford HQ). Not as many f-body's as mustangs (There's at least 1 mustang per street), but you will see a camaro and a firebird every time you leave your house. At least a few of each.
      97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

01 Honda CBR600 F4i-Two bro's,Corbins,SS brake lines

Comment

Remember the newest Fbody cars are all five (soon to be six) years old. As any particular model car ages, you see less and less of them on the road because they get worn out and wind up in the boneyards or are not used very often. If you drove a 2002 an average of 25K miles a year, it would already have over 125K miles on it. If its older than that, it may have even more miles. So many of those cars are not on the road anymore either.
        2000 Camaro SS..........6 speed triple black

Comment

Originally posted by Dave-S
          Remember the newest Fbody cars are all five (soon to be six) years old. As any particular model car ages, you see less and less of them on the road because they get worn out and wind up in the boneyards or are not used very often. If you drove a 2002 an average of 25K miles a year, it would already have over 125K miles on it. If its older than that, it may have even more miles. So many of those cars are not on the road anymore either.
          Yes, very true and would make sense. I still will see a 'stang from all years everytime I leave the house......guess people wanna hang to those

I'm still hangin' on to my baby, and if the engine is next.....maybe then will be an LS1 swap

Dave-you mentioned an "average" of 25K miles a year? Wow....seems A LOT to me! Is that what people are actually averaging now a year? I only put 10K a year on mine, but work close too.
          1996 White T/A, LT-1 auto with only aftermarket Flowmasters, shift kit, and a LG Motorsports G2 cold air kit.....that's it! She can't eat all the 'Stangs but will die trying.

Currently on the clock: 120K

Comment

here in NE ohio, there are fbody cars everywhere. everytime i leave my house i pass a 3rd gen or 4th gen TA, numerous usually. i think it's because up here, you don't put as many miles on your fbody car. you can drive them in the winter, but many don't, including myself. so a 5 year old car with 30k miles is not uncommon up here. they're put away all winter, so come summertime, everybody drives their fbody as much as they can. my 87 only has 129k miles on it. the 87 TA i had before this only had 86k on it when i bought it back in 99.
            87 GTA: it's winter time, all tore apart

ConElite: "Im 22, have had my TA since I was 21."

"I wont lie, I have a heavy foot, but at the same time I know when its the safest to ring out a gear or 2."

Comment

Its all mudstains where I live...wich kinda makes me haooy because i dont drive what everyone else drives.

Comment

Originally posted by 'STANGETR
                Dave-you mentioned an "average" of 25K miles a year? Wow....seems A LOT to me! Is that what people are actually averaging now a year? I only put 10K a year on mine, but work close too.
                my dad avgs about 26K a year, my brok 27K and me about 20K.
                2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

National average i believe is 15k a year. It maybe more now but thats what it was before. Im sure some of the other guys can get the correct # here shortly.

97 ws6 6sp 40k miles 355 cubes strange s 60 rear 373 gears. other stuff! 360rwhp

current
                  2006 GMC Denali 6.0 AWD!!!! hers

Comment

Plenty of Camaros and Firebirds here in south Texas.

I actually see more WS6 Firebirds than I see SS Camaros though.
                    My DD
                    2015 Lexus GS350 FSport

My toy

Comment

my 2002 hawk has 34000 miles on it in 5.75 years (6 on Aug 25). Some of us dedicated car nuts have horrid winters and only 1.0 mile commutes to work. Many who initially bought their cars baby 'em until the next new shiney thing from GM comes along. The real hot rodder in me says Keep the car, no matter what - If it breaks mod or repair". I think TA's in general are uncommon in the latter years compared to Toyota Camry's, SUV's and their ilk. But as long as their is a following for them parts or replacement parts will be available. New England All f-bodies are rare. It is more common to see them in warmer climates.

I'll never become complacent in seeing another F-body on the road, no matter how common they are or rare they become F-bodies in general scream "Fun" and that will always appeal to me
                      Rhode Island Red *Lurker since 1997*

2002 Firehawk #0035/1503 !Cags | !Air | !PCV | Airborn-coated Kooks LT's | Powerbond UD Pulley | Custom Cam | Ported Oil pump | LS2 timing chain | Comp 918's | Hardened push rods | LSS | BMR STB | SLP Bolt-on SFC's | drill mod |TB Bypass | Ported TB | Custom Dyno tuning | 160* thermostat | LS7 Clutch
                      Ordered: May 1, 2001 Built: June 1, 2001 Delivered August 25, 2001
                      pics and info

Comment

I think T/A's are rare. You see some WS6's but I have seem 1 maybe 2 T/A's since I got my car (about a year ago). Also most of the morons that drive F-Bodys around here dont know anything about them. Its like some kid my little sister goes to high school with. Has a 3rd Gen Z28 on 22" iroq rims. Nice slick black car but very ugly b/c of the rims. Yet he wants to race me and claims he can smoke me. The kid does not even know that the car was an F-Body. Thats the kind of retards you get around here. I guess b/c they can beat little ricers they think they are quick and its so so sad. I'll admit down the street there is a 93-97 Z28 with some serious engine work, That kids 3rd gen and thats about it. Very rare indeed that there are a lot of f-bodies out today. I have a very very large number of friends and not one owns one single f-body. Makes me feel good that we have 2 F-bodies at my house from both sides of GM (96 Z28 ((brothers)) and my 2000 T/A).
                        Eddie
                        2000 M6 Trans Am
                        Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

Originally posted by ConElite
                          I think T/A's are rare. You see some WS6's but I have seem 1 maybe 2 T/A's since I got my car (about a year ago). Also most of the morons that drive F-Bodys around here dont know anything about them. Its like some kid my little sister goes to high school with. Has a 3rd Gen Z28 on 22" iroq rims. Nice slick black car but very ugly b/c of the rims. Yet he wants to race me and claims he can smoke me. The kid does not even know that the car was an F-Body. Thats the kind of retards you get around here. I guess b/c they can beat little ricers they think they are quick and its so so sad. I'll admit down the street there is a 93-97 Z28 with some serious engine work, That kids 3rd gen and thats about it. Very rare indeed that there are a lot of f-bodies out today. I have a very very large number of friends and not one owns one single f-body. Makes me feel good that we have 2 F-bodies at my house from both sides of GM (96 Z28 ((brothers)) and my 2000 T/A).
                          yeah most kids are like that, no matter where you live. are you talking about the 20 inch iroc rims that summit racing sells?
                          87 GTA: it's winter time, all tore apart

ConElite: "Im 22, have had my TA since I was 21."

"I wont lie, I have a heavy foot, but at the same time I know when its the safest to ring out a gear or 2."

Comment

Originally posted by MunsonGTA
                            yeah most kids are like that, no matter where you live. are you talking about the 20 inch iroc rims that summit racing sells?
                            No Im talking about 22 inch IRoc rims. They are huge. The tires are like 235's b/c thats how thin they had to be to fit them on the car. The car is damn nice but the rims have to go. What a dummy.
                            Eddie
                            2000 M6 Trans Am
                            Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

Ever see this link? Everything you ever wanted to know about TA's and Firebirds - past and present......

My favorite part of the write up is:
                              "Although all Fourth-Generation Firebird's and Trans Am's are very powerful vehicles, claims abound from owners and aficionados that their true horsepower ratings were grossly underrated by GM."

Personally, I never knew how fast the fourth gen's were until I drove one - just once - and I was hooked!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pontiac_Firebird

Darrin C
                              '97 Z28 LT1 157K (((S O L D ))) A4, C/I Cold Air Induction, Flomaster Exhaust, SLP Fan Control Mod, Eibach Springs w/1" Drop, Racing Dynamics Shock Tower Brace, Lakewood LCA's.
                              07 Ford F150 - Daily Driver. I went from f-body to f-series. I think I'm out of my f'in mind.....

Comment

Working...
                              X