Fastest stock 426 hemi ET?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fastest stock 426 hemi ET?

This new guy at work wasn't impressed with Advanced Induction's 9 second LT1 casting Trans Am (he hates Chevy). So he went on to say that 9 seconds was his ET in his "stock" Hemi 426 (I think he said a Cuda). All he claims to have done to it was a tubbed rear to fit the slicks, and two big 4 barrels. I called BS. I asked his 60' time, trap speed, and rear gear. He claims he can't remember because it was so long ago. I rolled my eyes to show that he's full of it. So my question is, what's the fastest a 426 hemi, stock, has ever run?

My very imaginative calculations show:
    stock: 13.5 (C&D 1969)
    factory freak with good conditions: 12.8
    4 barrels: 12.0
    slicks: 11.0

Is my logic incorrect?
    94 Black T/A GT, Advanced Induction 355, 3200 stall, built 4L60E, Moser 9", Baer Brakes, Shooting for 11s...

Some info here http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&cl...G=Search&meta=
    97 Trans Am A4 more or less stock (Mods: WS6 Ram Air with Fernco & K&N, 12 disc CD changer, power antenna, SLP Fan Switch, LS1 Aluminum DS, Borla Cat back, McCord power plate, Spohn tower brace, Sirius, HID fog lights)

1and1 Web Hosting

Comment

Thanks for the link....I'm still confused though on what some consider production. I see a "Super stock Hemi Cuda" which claims to run mid 10s, tweaked and modified for "racer status". They claim it's production since several were built. I don't know what they mean by "several" but I still find it ridiculous because I'm seeing "normal" 426 hemis were in the mid 13s. It doesn't sound right to me that higher compression, intake and exhaust and traction will cut 3 seconds off your ET, and add 25 mph...that's a 300 hp equivalent gain, which is in my book. So I guess that's enough to wave the BS flag on the guy who claims his stock hemi ran 9s.
      94 Black T/A GT, Advanced Induction 355, 3200 stall, built 4L60E, Moser 9", Baer Brakes, Shooting for 11s...

Comment

Those "production" drag cars were heavily modified from the factory. They did all kinds of stuff to lighten them like they took out the window crank hardware and replaced it with a strap to pull up the window. They acid dipped the sheet metal to make thiem thinner and lighter. The rules at the time said if the mfg made it it was considered production. The mfg just moved the modify from out of house to in house.
        2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Originally posted by Craig 94 TA GT
          Thanks for the link....I'm still confused though on what some consider production. I see a "Super stock Hemi Cuda" which claims to run mid 10s, tweaked and modified for "racer status". They claim it's production since several were built. I don't know what they mean by "several" but I still find it ridiculous because I'm seeing "normal" 426 hemis were in the mid 13s. It doesn't sound right to me that higher compression, intake and exhaust and traction will cut 3 seconds off your ET, and add 25 mph...that's a 300 hp equivalent gain, which is in my book. So I guess that's enough to wave the BS flag on the guy who claims his stock hemi ran 9s.
          As was mentioned, there were alot more loopholds back then that allowed factory production race cars to occationally end up on the street. Use of aluminum for bumper brackets, swiss cheesed seat brackets, thinner glass, etc..... all kinds of weight reduction tricks that could make the car almost 1000lbs lighter. Add their race ready Hemi, add cheater slicks or full slicks, plus a few 'allowed" modifications like the headers that came shipped in the trunk with the car right from the factory. You end up with a 100 HP advantage plus a 1000 lb weight advantage. if you do the math, then a 10 second car is right there in front of you. Odds are though that you're wading though a certain amount of BS. I've only seen one, yes ONE factory race Hemi on the street and indeed it was a work of art. Wouldn't want to drive that on the street...... it would beat and shake you to death. No sound insulation, bench seat, simple floor mat, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Craig 94 TA GT
            This new guy at work wasn't impressed with Advanced Induction's 9 second LT1 casting Trans Am (he hates Chevy). So he went on to say that 9 seconds was his ET in his "stock" Hemi 426 (I think he said a Cuda). All he claims to have done to it was a tubbed rear to fit the slicks, and two big 4 barrels. I called BS. I asked his 60' time, trap speed, and rear gear. He claims he can't remember because it was so long ago. I rolled my eyes to show that he's full of it. So my question is, what's the fastest a 426 hemi, stock, has ever run?

My very imaginative calculations show:
            stock: 13.5 (C&D 1969)
            factory freak with good conditions: 12.8
            4 barrels: 12.0
            slicks: 11.0

Is my logic incorrect?
            Plain and simple... He's full of it.
            LS15 Power! Another LSx engine coming soon.

Comment

BTW those factory race cars were not available to the general public. They were sold to the factory race teams like Sox and Martin. The ones that were sold at the dealership were more like 13 second cars like what are on that chart. So in the real world that guy is wrong.
              2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Working...
              X