Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bringing the Camaro to the track tonight. Any tips/predictions?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bringing the Camaro to the track tonight. Any tips/predictions?

Only mods to the car is an MTI lid, Hurst shifter, and 3.90 gears. Tires are BFG Gforce 275's.

I haven't raced an F-bod at the track since my old Firebird.. Most of my track time is with AWD DSM's..

Any predictions on the time I'll get? Or any tips?

Should be a good time.

Lebanon, NY - test and tune night, $20 entry if anyone's interested!!
    99 SS, MTI Lid, 3.90 gears, Hurst shifter, DMH 3" e-cutout

Dont do no huge clutch dumps or your going to spend a lot of time in smoke. I'd say around 2500-3000. And dont dump it, I'd say let it out normal. With those tires you should do good. THey are the G-Force DR's?
    With that gear set and Stick your going to need a lot of "behind the wheel" paractice to get it right.
    Eddie
    2000 M6 Trans Am
    Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

I predict lousy 60's times. Usually on street nights they do not prep the track properly plus you have all kinds of ricers spewing oil down the entire length of the track...and if your lucky it will be crowded to boot well that is the way it is @ NED in NH

3.90's on a 10-bolt + BFG DR's = BOOM - make sure you have AAA card ready (I blew my rear there with BFG DR's - 3 hours away )

Seriously if you hook good maybe 1.90's 60' with a mid-low 13's time. Expect a 1-2 tenths slower than NED due to elevation. I hope I'm wrong about the track prep - plus stay on the lane opposite of the river. Have a blaSSt
      Rhode Island Red *Lurker since 1997*

2002 Firehawk #0035/1503 !Cags | !Air | !PCV | Airborn-coated Kooks LT's | Powerbond UD Pulley | Custom Cam | Ported Oil pump | LS2 timing chain | Comp 918's | Hardened push rods | LSS | BMR STB | SLP Bolt-on SFC's | drill mod |TB Bypass | Ported TB | Custom Dyno tuning | 160* thermostat | LS7 Clutch
      Ordered: May 1, 2001 Built: June 1, 2001 Delivered August 25, 2001
      pics and info

Comment

Originally posted by JeffM
        Only mods to the car is an MTI lid, Hurst shifter, and 3.90 gears. Tires are BFG Gforce 275's.

Any predictions on the time I'll get?
        I think 13.30 @ 106

We should run a pool on stuff like this.

Comment

No DR's - just the regular BFG G-force street tires... So, worse now huh? hahaha..

I mainly just want a baseline to see where the car's at since I have some plans for it this winter..

Thanks for the tips

Comment

I say if the 60' times are 2.02 or less and good shifts, 13.38-13.42.

Let the pool begin.

No DR's - just the regular BFG G-force street tires... So, worse now huh? hahaha..
            Oh Yeah. Your going to have a hell of a good time trying to hook with no Re-loc. brackets or suspsension mods and Street tires. ha ha ha ha

Easy down the RPMs from my previous post. I thought u had DR's. Do like a 2100-2400 rpm clutch release, NOT dump. ha ha ha ha Good luck man. Yeah Here in Irwindale Speedway they have an 1/8th track. Its a great track to test and tune your stuff. They do some real good track prep. They Run the cleaner then they put that sticky spray on the track. The bad part is there is a lot of ricers, But its funny when they are Running like 8 psi on slicks and 5000 rpm clutch dumps= BOOM goes the axles!!!
            Eddie
            2000 M6 Trans Am
            Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

I change my estimate. 2.1-2.25 60's times (taking in account lack of track prep * I emphasize this plus you don't have much track time) with the air we have plus elevation the DA will be High tonight so I'm gonna say 13.5-13.7 with a 105-107 mph trap speed

oh and drive AROUND the water box, spin off grit quickly, but do not heat street tires up. you also can drop the air pressure in the rears to say 25 and max out the front ones (under max safety range though). I've found on street tires around low as 1100 rpms was right 2k+ rpms caused spin on 'strit tahrs'

2002 Firehawk #0035/1503 !Cags | !Air | !PCV | Airborn-coated Kooks LT's | Powerbond UD Pulley | Custom Cam | Ported Oil pump | LS2 timing chain | Comp 918's | Hardened push rods | LSS | BMR STB | SLP Bolt-on SFC's | drill mod |TB Bypass | Ported TB | Custom Dyno tuning | 160* thermostat | LS7 Clutch
              pics and info

Comment

Probably. I think you can still cut 2.05 60' times on street radials, I've done it so there is no reason you can't unless the track has no stick. It may be enough to get you a 13.45

Comment

There you go, dont heat up street tires b/c they get greasy. Just clean off the rocks off the tires. For M6 its always recommended to have Line-Lock. It works awesome.
                  Eddie
                  2000 M6 Trans Am
                  Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

The car sure feels faster than 13.5! hahaa.. I guess that's the illusion of the new gears though

Well, thanks for the tips, I'll see what I can do tonight. Will take some vids and post up in the morning.

Comment

ahh now i wish i could go! esp since i got out early tonight. darn it. if u break down or break something give me a ring i could tow ya home im saying mid to low 13s. my buddy had a 91 LX 5.0 5spd, it had a cobra intake, 3.73(non-posi), lowering kit, 245/45R17 and flow master and he ran a 13.8 no problem, around 98mph if i remember right. i should thats the run i ran a 16.6(frist time to the track)
                      2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

the biggest problem is going to be traction.
                        Eddie
                        2000 M6 Trans Am
                        Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

Back, and yep - traction was an issue. Not to mention 80° and humid as hell.

2.137 was best 60'

13.73@104.40

I was pretty much at the top of 4th crossing the line. Wondering if I should have went with 3.73's. Some more power and I may be having to shift to 5th.

I dunno.

It was a baseline - time to move on. Let the games begin

pic at the track - yes, beat the lightening! :

Comment

Yeah Thats pretty bad traction. You need some 15's or 16's with Dr's. Nothing huge. Just like some 255 M/T's would work. That should keep the Rear from blowing. What kind of clutch dumps where you doing? Thats the kind of Tracking I was getting with some 16x8 with 255 street tires at 22 psi. Did you drop PSI. With what I ran in the 1/8 im at around a 13.56-13.69. So yeah you need some DR's and a little harder launch.
                            With that MPH you have the power but no Grip. If you manage to get the the 60' to a 2.0 or better then Im sure u can see 13.5's.

P.S. Beautiful Car.
                            Eddie
                            2000 M6 Trans Am
                            Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

consider it 13.53 if you went to NED. there is a solid 2/10's difference between those tracks on any given day as LVD is higher in elevation. I think the gears were fine. after you hook with stock power, you kinda tend to bog. the lower gears will pull you through the bog zone faster

How many runs total did you get in?

pics and info

Comment

Working...
                              X