• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A cautionary tale . . .

From one who is in a position to know:

http://www.opinionjournal.com/editor...l?id=110010438
    R.i.K.

'98 WS6 TA (white, of course!), Hurst Billet/Plus shifter, BBK intake manifold, McGard “blue-ring” lug nuts (12x1.5), PowerSlot brake rotors, Hawk brake pads, Stainless steel braided brake lines, Pontiac arrow, Hotchkis strut tower brace, MBA MAF ends, Reflective Concepts lettering, MTI carbon-fiber look airbox lid . . . and one greying, somewhat eccentric owner.

Very good article. The difficulty today for us, the general public, is telling the difference between modern propaganda and the real facts as all the media seems to be geared towards the propaganda side (except NPR's Frontline -their decent) and at the same time we see our elected officials eroding our rights, lining their pockets, now more than any time in US history.

I can tell you one thing for sure, ANY politician that passes laws that restrict our inalienable rights, take away our presumed innocence until proven guilty in a court of law by passing stronger blanket surveillance of their own constituents will be defiled and ridiculed - WE know we are at war, and that we should support our president, but how can we when the people we should support is turning our country into a police-state? WE, the citizens of this country, measure the threat of the US becoming a police-state far greater than the conflicts we are currently involved in - not to mention all the obvious pocket-lining the rich are doing, to eliminate the middle class.
    Rhode Island Red *Lurker since 1997*

2002 Firehawk #0035/1503 !Cags | !Air | !PCV | Airborn-coated Kooks LT's | Powerbond UD Pulley | Custom Cam | Ported Oil pump | LS2 timing chain | Comp 918's | Hardened push rods | LSS | BMR STB | SLP Bolt-on SFC's | drill mod |TB Bypass | Ported TB | Custom Dyno tuning | 160* thermostat | LS7 Clutch
    Ordered: May 1, 2001 Built: June 1, 2001 Delivered August 25, 2001
    pics and info

Comment

Originally posted by Rhode Island Red

I can tell you one thing for sure, ANY politician that passes laws that restrict our inalienable rights, take away our presumed innocence until proven guilty in a court of law by passing stronger blanket surveillance of their own constituents will be defiled and ridiculed - WE know we are at war, and that we should support our president, but how can we when the people we should support is turning our country into a police-state? WE, the citizens of this country, measure the threat of the US becoming a police-state far greater than the conflicts we are currently involved in - not to mention all the obvious pocket-lining the rich are doing, to eliminate the middle class.
      I was to see if anyone else responded, but since no one did, I want to ask three questions. I'm serious about this, as I am very curious about how others see things. So here goes:

1. Regarding only surveillance by the federal government, can you cite examples of this being turned into a police state?

2. How do you define "middle class"?

3. By what means is the middle class (as defined) being eliminated?
      R.i.K.

'98 WS6 TA (white, of course!), Hurst Billet/Plus shifter, BBK intake manifold, McGard “blue-ring” lug nuts (12x1.5), PowerSlot brake rotors, Hawk brake pads, Stainless steel braided brake lines, Pontiac arrow, Hotchkis strut tower brace, MBA MAF ends, Reflective Concepts lettering, MTI carbon-fiber look airbox lid . . . and one greying, somewhat eccentric owner.

Comment

I have no comment at this time.

to me....whats happening with the Hispanic invasion and destruction of the American way of life is much worse.......its out of control.

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
        Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
        sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

Originally posted by wolfdogs
          I have no comment at this time.

to me....whats happening with the Hispanic invasion and destruction of the American way of life is much worse.......its out of control.
          I second that. I don't feel at home in my home town anymore. Border security effects ever single one of us in our daily live. Wire tap laws and foreign policy do not.

It is estimated that the country of France will be gone in 20 years due to their immigration laws. It will happen here to if we don't stop it.
          2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff 95 Z28
            It is estimated that the country of France will be gone in 20 years due to their immigration laws.
            Do we view this as a totally bad thing?
            SOLD: 2002 Trans Am WS.6 - Black on Black - 6 Speed
            SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
            17K Miles

2005 Acura TL - Silver on Black
            Navigation - Surround Audio - Bluetooth

Comment

Originally posted by Steel2686
              Do we view this as a totally bad thing?
              Yea but it will be going from Liberal (bad) to Islamic fundamentalist (worse).
              2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Yea but it will be going from Liberal (bad) to Islamic fundamentalist (worse).
                Solid point....
                SOLD: 2002 Trans Am WS.6 - Black on Black - 6 Speed
                SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
                17K Miles

2005 Acura TL - Silver on Black
                Navigation - Surround Audio - Bluetooth

Comment

I second that. I don't feel at home in my home town anymore. Border security effects ever single one of us in our daily live. Wire tap laws and foreign policy do not.

It is estimated that the country of France will be gone in 20 years due to their immigration laws. It will happen here to if we don't stop it.
                  Unfortunately, it seems to me, that the gov. could do something about the immigration issue but aren't... SO, while we are all focused in on that problem, they know they have the chance to sneak in things like the wire tap laws (and much more)... Just little nibbles at a time. It won't be long and the small nibbles will be a huge chunk of missing rights/liberties. And it is sad but most sheeple are more concerned with Paris, Lohan and who won American Idol. (definately not saying that you, Jeff, are one of those people as I know you read up on a lot of the gov. issues, just putting that out there)
                  Greg W. in West Michigan
                  1992 Formula WS6-A/R Rims, Stock L05 swap, Former Abuse Victim
                  1983 Z28-Parts car- *Sold*
                  1984 Z28-305 HO Auto *Sold*
                  1986 Camaro-V-6 5Spd *Sold*
                  1984 Camaro-V-6 Auto *Sold*
                  <Motor out

Comment

Yes, the immigration thing is crazy- People used to want to become an 'American', they would move here and learn English and try to fit in. Now everyone is concerned with 'ethnic pride' and is a hyphenated-american- if you are so pround of being Irish, Italian, African or whatever, just go back-

I have been a customer of a local bank in upstate NY for over 20 yeras- Why do I need to press a button to get the menu in English? Isn't that the langauge of the country we are in? There is a big movement towards making all the road signs 'international' now, pictures instead of words so we won't have to deal with putting stop signs up in five langauges....?

The privacy thing is troubling, too. I have nothing to hide, but that doesn't mean that I authorize the government to snoop around, listening to my phone calls or digging through my trash- Though, no doubt, they do that to anyone they please. Land of the Free, indeed. We need to turn the FBI and the CIA on the politicians, but they never will because that is who they work for-
                    2001 Z28 A4 - 160 deg t-stat, 3.42 gears, WS6 sway bars, rear springs and shocks, UMI SFC's, Torque Arm and STB, leather Firebird seats, Borla, SLP Y-pipe and lid, ZO6 cam and springs - 332 RWHP and 346 RWTQ, not bad for 'almost stock' - work in progress
                    "Black, the fastest color"

Comment

Originally posted by Roger in Kensington
                      I was to see if anyone else responded, but since no one did, I want to ask three questions. I'm serious about this, as I am very curious about how others see things. So here goes:

1. Regarding only surveillance by the federal government, can you cite examples of this being turned into a police state?

2. How do you define "middle class"?

3. By what means is the middle class (as defined) being eliminated?
                      I guess I'll have to answer my own questions.

1. While I am not overly trusting of our government (one of the reasons I strongly support the Second Amendment), as far as the concern over so-called "domestic warrantless wiretapping", I'm unconcerned. First, no one has presented evidence that this is occurring.

Intercepting communications that originate and terminate solely within the United States would require a warrant. Others do not and never have. If you are outside the United States and you call (or are called by) someone (in or out of the United States) who is suspected of being a terrorist, OR if you are within the United States and make a call to or receive a call from someone outside the US who is suspected of being a terrorist, you have a reasonable expectation of having your communication intercepted.

2. It is entirely possible that I am naive, but how is the "middle class" (however it is defined) being eliminated?

The Census Bureau just released its latest household income figures. As widely reported today, the median household income (for a family of four) in the United States in 2006 was $48,201; half of the households have incomes below this figure and half have incomes above it.

If you go to page 38 of this document, you can see an historical record of Mean Household Income of Quintiles (each "quintile" represents 20 percent of households).

The lowest quintile (that is, the "bottom" 20 percent) has an average annual income of $11,352. The next quintile has an average income of $28,777.

Third quintile: average $48,223
                      Fourth quintile: average $76,329
                      Fifth (top) quintile: average $168,170

3. Right below those figures, however, are figures showing that the percentage of households in the lower quintiles is slowly decreasing over time. In other words, if the middle class is being eliminated, it is because average incomes are rising, moving households into higher quintiles.

So, who is paying the income taxes? According to this information (derived from IRS data) from the National Taxpayers Union for 2004 (about the same for later years), the top 50% of income earners pay almost 97% of income taxes. The top 10% pay 68% of the income taxes.

If this is unfair, it would seem so only because the upper incomes pay a disproportionate share of the taxes.

There are, of course, other issues related to this, but IMHO it is difficult to make the case that "the rich" are "eliminating" the "middle class."
                      R.i.K.

Comment

Working...
                      X