Venting! Freaken SPEC!!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Venting! Freaken SPEC!!!

Just spent 20 minutes getting insulted by the Tech guy at SPEC Inc. I'm sure some of you read the thread about the horrible chatter on my second SPEC clutch and so yesterday the guy told me that I have to bleed it and with some time the chatter should go away completely. I explained everything perfectly and how I have spend over $500 on their damn clutches just to get an even worse clutch than before. The guy was talking to me like I was an idiot and didn't know anything about cars and told me that chances are I installed it wrong and if its not that then It just needs to break in. I told him if they are going to pay if my Trans messes up b/c of the horrible shacking of the clutch, "No we only cover our parts, that if they were bad from the beginning." Total A-hole. I told him, "So what am I suppose to do without a car for the month that u guys will be evaluating the clutch." All he said was, That's something that is out of my control. I mean I knew that's what they were going to say but the fact that he question my work and talked down to me totally Pissed me off. I told him that how is it that these POS clutch never last more than 10k, He told me he just talked to some guy that has over 100k on a stage 2. I would never in a million years believe that. I dont know If I even wanna bother sending it back. The whole time i was talking he kept trying to cut me off. Then he goes, "You know I'll let u talk then Ill reply, No go ahead," and I was not even mad at that point, Simply talking pretty calm.

I called Byunspeed and orders my LS7 Clutch kit with LS2 Flywheel. $442 and they pay for the shipping. Ships today from CO and should be here Thursday. That's what I call Service. The guy was real cool, Understanding and even threw in the Flywheel bolts in for free for the inconvenience.
    Eddie
    2000 M6 Trans Am
    Tune+exhaust=344WHP

They tried to say I put my clutch in wrong too. I said how do you put it in wrong. He said you can put the disc in backwards. I said and if you do you can not get the pressure plate to pull flush with the flywheel. He says oh. Then he says well if you don't use the alignment tool it will vibrate. I said the alignment tool is only so you can get the trans to go in and align to the pilot bearing. As soon as you put your foot in the clutch the clutch falls loose and aligns itself. He goes oh. I said so what could I do wrong. He says I don't know but we make a good product bla bla bla. I said I am a machinist and I just measured your clutch disc and it has a .010 taper across the face. It's only touching on about 20% of the clutch face. You could see the wear on the disc on one small corner. The rest was untouched. He said send it back and they will replace it. That is when we got into what am I supposed to do while I wait for a new one. bla bla bla

When I talked to Koni they didn't care what was wrong. They sent me a new one that day. That is customer service.

How much business has SPEC lost because of postings like these on message boards?
    2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff 95 Z28
      How much business has SPEC lost because of postings like these on message boards?
      I dont know but there is a ton of SPEC haters on CamaroZ28.com as well as LS1Tech.Com. I hope the new set-up works good and does not chatter. Even if it chatters a little, Anything is better than this thing.
      Eddie
      2000 M6 Trans Am
      Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff 95 Z28
        They tried to say I put my clutch in wrong too. I said how do you put it in wrong. He said you can put the disc in backwards. I said and if you do you can not get the pressure plate to pull flush with the flywheel. He says oh. Then he says well if you don't use the alignment tool it will vibrate. I said the alignment tool is only so you can get the trans to go in and align to the pilot bearing. As soon as you put your foot in the clutch the clutch falls loose and aligns itself. He goes oh. I said so what could I do wrong. He says I don't know but we make a good product bla bla bla. I said I am a machinist and I just measured your clutch disc and it has a .010 taper across the face. It's only touching on about 20% of the clutch face. You could see the wear on the disc on one small corner. The rest was untouched. He said send it back and they will replace it. That is when we got into what am I supposed to do while I wait for a new one. bla bla bla

When I talked to Koni they didn't care what was wrong. They sent me a new one that day. That is customer service.

Wow...I'm ever so glad I never had to deal with service like that.

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
        Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
        B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
        Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
        Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

Originally posted by Christopherrr
          Wow...I'm ever so glad I never had to deal with service like that.
          Be happy your Automatic. lol

Worse service I have ever received. If the $ amount was little I would not bother but thats $500+ down the drain.
          Eddie
          2000 M6 Trans Am
          Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

Originally posted by ConElite
            Worse service I have ever received. If the $ amount was little I would not bother but thats $500+ down the drain.
            Yeah I know how you feel, check out my post in the tech forum about my mechanic. I'd drink a beer with you after all this crap but you're 3000 miles away!
            - Josh

2002 Firehawk Sold

Comment

I wouldn't touch one with a ten foot pole now.
              Tracy, 97 Formula, pretty much stock.

Comment

A friend of mine had problems with 2 of their clutches , from what i recall. on a 93 z28
                93 t/a A4 3.23s
                95 Formula A4 2.73s >>>>93 t/a 3.23 , !AIR, !cat, !A/C, hotchkis lowering springs, kyb adj shocks, DD
                99 Camaro z28 a4, 2.73, !AIR, !A/C
                99 Alfa Romeo 166 3.0 v6, red
                97 3.8 v6 A4 camaro, hardtop
                93 Camaro Z28 M6, hotcam kit, 150 shot, twin plate clutch, eibach pro kit and bilstein shocks, swaybars etc
                00 audi a6 4.2 40 valve v8

Comment

Originally posted by '94 White Devil
                  Yeah I know how you feel, check out my post in the tech forum about my mechanic. I'd drink a beer with you after all this crap but you're 3000 miles away!
                  - Josh
                  Ha ha ha ha... Totally man. I got a bottle of JAck in the back of my car.

Add some Coke and sit and wait for my new Clutch Kit to arrive.
                  Eddie
                  2000 M6 Trans Am
                  Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

That sucks Eddie, big time. I know what you mean, I've dealt with a lot of companies that just like to assume you're an idiot and you did something wrong.

I still do find it really odd that your stock clutch with 55k, and 2 specs all have the same problem.

I'm not saying it isn't the clutch, but are you absolutely sure everything else is working as it should?

You didn't use a new PP when you put in the last clutch did you? Flywheel was in good shape, etc...?

For some reason I keep thinking something else is wrong. I've used nothing but SPEC since I was introduced to it by a buddy that worked at a speed shop. They used SPEC on all the cars they built and had tons of success, as have I.

It's too bad what happened to you. Every time I ever talked to people at SPEC, they've been totally cool. I always talked to a guy named Brian and he would never hesitate to replace a clutch at their expense. Haven't talked to them since about 2003, so maybe they've gotten bigger and now they got that big company attitude problem that so many companies develop when they get big.

And I got a SPEC S3 in my z28 going strong with over 30k on it.
                    97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

01 Honda CBR600 F4i-Two bro's,Corbins,SS brake lines

Comment

I should mention, for a few days after installing the S3, the car felt undriveable. I got used to it after a day, but it was awful. Pedal was very stiff (still is but not half as bad), and it used to chatter like crazy.

It all went away after a few days. Car grabs like a gator and has a close to stock feel to it.
                      97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

01 Honda CBR600 F4i-Two bro's,Corbins,SS brake lines

Comment

Originally posted by raroZ28
                        I still do find it really odd that your stock clutch with 55k, and 2 specs all have the same problem.
                        The Stock Clutch that was in it did not Chatter at all. Was extremely smooth and great but I believe the Slave or Master was bad so It would slip around the torque curve. I installed the New Clutch and about 1-2 months later is started slipping. Changed the Slave and held for about a month and started slipping.

I'm not saying it isn't the clutch, but are you absolutely sure everything else is working as it should?
                        Change the Slave 2 times, Changed the Master once. Bleed the system about 10+ times. Ran Synthetic Brake Fluid as well as normal DOT3.

You didn't use a new PP when you put in the last clutch did you? Flywheel was in good shape, etc...?
                        Would you use the same PP if it looked like this Raro? You might of meant something else. Flywheel was Resurfaced both times and in good shape.
                        Eddie
                        2000 M6 Trans Am
                        Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

That sounds alot like the first person I spoke to at SPEC.
                          I eventually got to someone higher up and that was when I got some results.

They too tried to blame improper install as the reason for failure but once I told them I had a professional Trans. shop do the install they backed off.

For reference the shop that did the 2nd install said they saw no indication of improper installation, abuse or any other issues with the trans and even kept the car an extra day to double check the hydraulic system. They said it looked like a clutch that had normal wear and had just worn out, after only 10K miles!
                          My DD
                          2015 Lexus GS350 FSport

My toy

Comment

Originally posted by BrdWAtti2d
                            I wouldn't touch one with a ten foot pole now.
                            Amen to that!!
                            2006 Saturn Ion Redline
                            2003 Mits. Eclipse Spyder

Comment

Jesus.. This isn't the first thing I've heard about Spec having crappy clutches..

I know what clutch I WON'T be buying this winter!! The LS7 setup is seeming better and better.. Let me know how that one performs - I will be getting a new clutch over the winter and would like to know how that one is. The price is definitely right!

Thanks, and good luck
                              99 SS, MTI Lid, 3.90 gears, Hurst shifter, DMH 3" e-cutout

Comment

Working...
                              X