BIG block/small block

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BIG block/small block

I have a stupid question...what is the difference between a 400ci big block and a 400ci small block? Also, what makes a big block a big block? Is it the stroke, bore, v angle, or what?
    1997 Formula WS6
    43,000 miles, LT4 Hot Cam, 1.6 Roller Rockers, Ported Heads, Long Tubes, Borg Warner Built T56, Stage 3 Clutch, Aluminum Drive Shaft, Strange Engineering 12 bolt 4.11 Rearend, Nitrous Express wet shot.
    2006 Saab 9-3 2.0T
    18,000 miles, Stock, and staying that way (Daily Driver).

The answer to your question is the size of the physical engine block. Two different block sizes can still displace 400 cubic inches.

Comment

AMC had only 1 block.
      Chrysler and Chevy had a small and big block.
      Ford had a small block, medium small block, medium block, medium big block and big block. LOL
      2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

So um, Whats the difference?
        Eddie
        2000 M6 Trans Am
        Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

Yeah, I'm still not getting it. The physical block size wouldn't that have to do with the stroke too? I'm not trying to be difficult, but I really still don't get it.
          1997 Formula WS6
          43,000 miles, LT4 Hot Cam, 1.6 Roller Rockers, Ported Heads, Long Tubes, Borg Warner Built T56, Stage 3 Clutch, Aluminum Drive Shaft, Strange Engineering 12 bolt 4.11 Rearend, Nitrous Express wet shot.
          2006 Saab 9-3 2.0T
          18,000 miles, Stock, and staying that way (Daily Driver).

Comment

Originally posted by 97formws6
            Yeah, I'm still not getting it. The physical block size wouldn't that have to do with the stroke too? I'm not trying to be difficult, but I really still don't get it.
            you can have a large bore and short stroke to equal 400 cubic inches, you could have a smaller bore and longer stroke to acheive the same physical size. Each configuration will posess different power characteristics. one will favor higher rpm end power production, the other will favor lower rpm torque.

You can also have a large box that contains small contents, you could also cram the same contents into a smaller box. of course the best of all is a big box with big contents.

Comment

Lots of reading out there for it http://www.google.ca/search?client=f...=Google+Search
              97 Trans Am A4 more or less stock (Mods: WS6 Ram Air with Fernco & K&N, 12 disc CD changer, power antenna, SLP Fan Switch, LS1 Aluminum DS, Borla Cat back, McCord power plate, Spohn tower brace, Sirius, HID fog lights)

1and1 Web Hosting

Comment

I swear you guys can read minds...i was just about to post a thread asking the same question

Comment

Most manufacturers build engine groups or families- the small block chevy SBC, was a single casting that could be bored to different cylinder sizes and use differing crankshafts and could be built as a 283, 305, 327, 350 and even a small block 400- externally all the same, used same manifolds, distributors, etc.- the big block was a different casting, and, depending on what piston diameter it was bored for and what crank was used, could be a 396, 427 or 1 454- the transmission bell housings and engine mounts were different for small block/big block-

All bets are off if you go far enough into the past to have Pontiac or Oldsmobile big blocks and small blocks- they tended to be different animals totally.

Chrysler did the same with the 273-318-340-360 and the 383-400-440- again, the hemi was a whole different family.

Ford small block was 260-289-302 which became the 5.0. They had a couple big block variants, and to confuse things more, they made a 351 engine in both big blcok and small blocks, sort of like Chevy's 400. In the Ford world it was Clevland or Windsor for the 351-

HTH- I have lots of useless trivia, I remember less and less as I get older
                  2001 Z28 A4 - 160 deg t-stat, 3.42 gears, WS6 sway bars, rear springs and shocks, UMI SFC's, Torque Arm and STB, leather Firebird seats, Borla, SLP Y-pipe and lid, ZO6 cam and springs - 332 RWHP and 346 RWTQ, not bad for 'almost stock' - work in progress
                  "Black, the fastest color"

Comment

Originally posted by Wild Willy
                    its ok im the same way...but i wouldnt consider that to be useless information at all...

Comment

Originally posted by Wild Willy
                      Most manufacturers build engine groups or families- the small block chevy SBC, was a single casting that could be bored to different cylinder sizes and use differing crankshafts and could be built as a 283, 305, 327, 350 and even a small block 400- externally all the same, used same manifolds, distributors, etc.- the big block was a different casting, and, depending on what piston diameter it was bored for and what crank was used, could be a 396, 427 or 1 454- the transmission bell housings and engine mounts were different for small block/big block-

All bets are off if you go far enough into the past to have Pontiac or Oldsmobile big blocks and small blocks- they tended to be different animals totally.

Chrysler did the same with the 273-318-340-360 and the 383-400-440- again, the hemi was a whole different family.

Ford small block was 260-289-302 which became the 5.0. They had a couple big block variants, and to confuse things more, they made a 351 engine in both big blcok and small blocks, sort of like Chevy's 400. In the Ford world it was Clevland or Windsor for the 351-

Remember in Chrysler there was a 426 wedge which was the 383-440 block. I don't remember a 400 Chrysler. I think the hemi was a 332/354/392/426

In Fords there were 3 351s. A Windsor, Clevland a a Modified. The modified also came in a 400. They also had a 360, 390, 428. And add in the SOHC 427 side oiler. Then there was a 429/460. My engine bulding neighbor buddy built a 700+ cubic inch 460 motor that put out something like 1500 horses on pump gas.

Cadillac had a 502 cid.

Mercury Marine takes a 454 chevy and bores it out to 496. http://www.mercurymarine.com/engines...s/mpi496ho.php
                      2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

With some rare exceptions, Pontiac and Oldsmobile used a "one size fits all" approach and had one block. Externally, you couldn't tell if it was a 350 or 455. Yes there were a few exceptions, but it's the exceptions that define the rule.

Comment

Working...
                        X