Home Theater in the works...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home Theater in the works...

Not sure how many of you are into Home Theater (HT) setups, but it's my second favorite hobby.

After 5 good years, my first HT needs an upgrade. Actually, I decided to create a second one and leave the living room set-up in place. Too hard to redesign around a system that works as well as it does where it is.

While planning out the basement project (close to 1,000 sq. ft.), I decided to make room for a combination HT and family great-room. Two of the three rooms are nearly finished (exercise room and kids play room). They both measure approx. 12 x 20.

The final room, the HT/Great-room is about 75% complete. It will measure 14 x 25, and have a nearly 9 foot suspended ceiling. I went this route to facilitate access to the pipes above as well as making wire runs easier. An added bonus to the 2 x 2 tiles are great sound absorption. Coupled with that, I added insulation to the walls and will be carpeting the floor with a nice thick rug.

Anyway, I ordered the electronics this weekend. Can't wait for them to arrive. The 12-gauge wiring for the 7.1 speakers is complete. I've designed it so no wires will be visible, except for the 12 inches or so connecting the banana jacks on the wall to each speaker.

As usual, I started buying furniture and accessories months ago, so the Bird is relegated to driveway status for the time being as the garage has been fully monopolized.

Since I've been doing all the work myself, starting with framing and sheet rocking, along with electrical and lighting, it's taken me nearly 6 months so far. My goal is to be finished by the end of October. Only so much my aging body can take...can't work any faster. As it is, I've missed most of the spring and summer as I've been locked away for months now. Oh well...twill' all be worth it in the end.

As soon as I can, I'll try to post some pictures.
    Al 96 Ram Air T/A
    Mods: Build # 784 * Hotchkis STB * SFCs * Borla cat back w/QTP cut-out * AS&M/RK Sports Mid-length headers w/single CAT * Koni SA shocks on lower perch w/ lowered rear * Strano Hollow front & rear antisway bars * 1LE front/rear springs * 1LE aluminum driveshaft * Strange 4.10 gears w/ Zexel Torsen diff. * ARP bearing cap studs & aluminum diff cover* J&M Hotpart poly/poly rear LCAs and poly/poly panhard bar * RAM Powergrip clutch w/ LT4 PP and RAM billet Al flywheel * C5 Z06 brakes * C6 Z06 wheels * Spohn T/A * Spohn DS Loop * fully custom interior w/ custom audio

Sounds like a sick (in a good way) place to spend some quality time. LOL! I'm into a lot of home sound myself...

What kind of set-up are you gonna go with? Technics? Polk? Yamaha?

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
    Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
    B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
    Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
    Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

I'm very much into HT systems. I have 4 in my house if you include the one in my garage. LOL I finished and wired my recreation room for 7 channel. It's great. I hardly ever go to the theater unless the boss insists.

Have fun with it. It makes a difference when you put in all the effort yourself.
      LS15 Power! Another LSx engine coming soon.

Comment

Well, after extensive research, I went a different route than my upstairs system.

Here's the short list:

Speakers:
        Polk RTi series: front (2) RTi8, surround (2) RTi6, rear surround (2) RTi4, center CSi5 (I love the warmth of the cherry veneers so it made the decision easier)
        subwoofer: Dayton 250 watt 12"

TV:
        Samsung 67" 1080p DLP

Wires:
        12-gauge braided speaker wire terminated in banana plugs
        Digital coaxial RG6 quad shield connecting the pre/pro to the amp
        All connections made at the wall using custom made banana jacks mounted behind the amp

Pre/pro and amp:
        I decided to go separates this time. Read a lot about Emotiva. Picked up their 7.1 pre/pro and 7 x 125 watt amp.

DVD:
        Oppo 980h 1080p upconverting

Comfort:
        Picked up a couple of mahoghany leather reclining sofas. (gonna be hard not falling asleep in these beauties)

My wife and I loved going to the movies in our dating years. However, like many, three kids later...it's not gonna happen. So, we unwind with a good DVD a couple times a week and have no regrets. Having control of the "pause" makes it easy to take breaks when we need to or in case something "more interesting comes up" forcing us to temporarily stop the movie ( hehe.

I'm taking the day off work tomorrow so hopefully I can make a big dent in the remaining work. Still need to decide how I'm going to layout the auto-dimming recessed lighting. The 20 amp feed for the electronics is ready to go, now I just need to identify the 15 amp circuit for the lighting.
        Al 96 Ram Air T/A
        Mods: Build # 784 * Hotchkis STB * SFCs * Borla cat back w/QTP cut-out * AS&M/RK Sports Mid-length headers w/single CAT * Koni SA shocks on lower perch w/ lowered rear * Strano Hollow front & rear antisway bars * 1LE front/rear springs * 1LE aluminum driveshaft * Strange 4.10 gears w/ Zexel Torsen diff. * ARP bearing cap studs & aluminum diff cover* J&M Hotpart poly/poly rear LCAs and poly/poly panhard bar * RAM Powergrip clutch w/ LT4 PP and RAM billet Al flywheel * C5 Z06 brakes * C6 Z06 wheels * Spohn T/A * Spohn DS Loop * fully custom interior w/ custom audio

Comment

I'm an audiophile as well. I even own a $250 set of Sennheiser headphones.

That sounds like an awesome set-up. I'm going to be doing my basement fairly soon. Polk makes some great speakers. They always produce such clear highs and mids.

Let us know the progress and can't wait to see spme pics! Good luck the rest of the way.
          SOLD: 2002 Trans Am WS.6 - Black on Black - 6 Speed
          SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
          17K Miles

2005 Acura TL - Silver on Black
          Navigation - Surround Audio - Bluetooth

Comment

Originally posted by Al 96 Ram Air T/A
            Well, after extensive research, I went a different route than my upstairs system.

Here's the short list:

Speakers:
            Polk RTi series: front (2) RTi8, surround (2) RTi6, rear surround (2) RTi4, center CSi5 (I love the warmth of the cherry veneers so it made the decision easier)
            subwoofer: Dayton 250 watt 12"

TV:
            Samsung 67" 1080p DLP

Wires:
            12-gauge braided speaker wire terminated in banana plugs
            Digital coaxial RG6 quad shield connecting the pre/pro to the amp
            All connections made at the wall using custom made banana jacks mounted behind the amp

Pre/pro and amp:
            I decided to go separates this time. Read a lot about Emotiva. Picked up their 7.1 pre/pro and 7 x 125 watt amp.

DVD:
            Oppo 980h 1080p upconverting

Comfort:
            Picked up a couple of mahoghany leather reclining sofas. (gonna be hard not falling asleep in these beauties)

My wife and I loved going to the movies in our dating years. However, like many, three kids later...it's not gonna happen. So, we unwind with a good DVD a couple times a week and have no regrets. Having control of the "pause" makes it easy to take breaks when we need to or in case something "more interesting comes up" forcing us to temporarily stop the movie ( hehe.

I'm taking the day off work tomorrow so hopefully I can make a big dent in the remaining work. Still need to decide how I'm going to layout the auto-dimming recessed lighting. The 20 amp feed for the electronics is ready to go, now I just need to identify the 15 amp circuit for the lighting.
            You're going to find that the sights and sound can be so good on a home theater system that you will hardly visit the theater. Not to mention other benefits like, snacks as you wish, pause as you wish, lighting and volume as you wish. etc etc etc. I think you see where I'm going with this.

I have friends that come over for a movie and a few minutes into it, they'll turn to me and ask "Why would you ever go to the movies?". LOL

Enjoy

Comment

I put in about 20 hours more over the weekend. Now have two of the four walls primed...will be finishing up one more this week.

Slow progress is still better than no progress...
              Al 96 Ram Air T/A

Comment

2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff 95 Z28
                  That's funny right there.

Comment

Working...
                  X