Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gibbs going Toyota in 2008

http://msn.foxsports.com/nascar/story/7175302?MSNHPHMA

I am not a Toyota fan, but the global economy will get a boost from the exposure Tony Stewart and company will bring. Certainly a big loss for GM
    2001 Sunset Orange Metallic w/Tan interior WS6 Trans Am, 33k, M6, Borla, SLP lid
    buttons in the ashtray and a bottle in the trunk Although I have yet to push it

SOLD: '97 Trans Am, 85k, LT1, A4, 3.23's, 98+ Taillights, SLP CAI, SLP Loud Mouth
    Best of 13.810 @ 100.58 MPH. 2.093 60' See It Here

I can only hope that Nascar will be just like Formula One for Turdyota, meaning they will be the maker with the biggest budget by far and have no results to show for it.
    1994 Z28 Camaro-Project carbed 4th gen
    1995 Silverado-beater truck
    2005 Colorado Z71-Daily driver

Comment

Well, let's see here. Who will I cheer for next year.

Ford isn't GM.

Dodge isn't GM.

Toyota is the devil.

Hendrick is out because I can't stand Jimmie Johnson, or more accurately, his cheating crew chief, and Hendrick's tolerance of that bullcrap.

DEI is out because of Teresa's handling of Junior.

Now JGR is out because they drive the devil.

So it looks like I'll have to pick a RCR car, or I'll have to swallow the Hendrick BS and root for Junior to win a championship, then maybe his stepmom will STFU and give DEI to him so he can return.

This really sucks because I like Tony Stewart and Denny Hamlin, and now they are taking everything they've known and thrown it out the window and starting basically from scratch, because Lord knows the current Toyota teams do not have a handle on that car at all.

Maybe Rousch will switch to GM, piss off Ford and all the Rustang owners, and then I'll have Carl Edwards away from the dark side of the force.

I tell you one thing though, if you guys think it's bad when Jeff Gordon wins at Talladega, you just wait and see what happens if Toyota ever wins a Cup race. They'll have to rebuild the entire track!

Nevermind, you won't have to worry about that. Some redneck will be sitting in the grandstands with a 30-06 and go Sniper on the Toyota's tires before it gets to the finish line.
      "No, officer, that bottle is my onboard Halon system"

Comment

stewart will be at dei, just watch
        2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

Do I sense some light hostility towards Toyota?

Nascar is doing what it can to make more money. They got Montoya in there that should appeal the Spanish speaking community and now they are going to have Villeneuve for us Canadians.

Nascar racing (while I watch some of the races) is becoming more and more a joke. These days they throw a safety caution after so many laps in some of the races. WTF?

Nascar is about the only sport that stops racing when it rains. The other thing that blows my mind is that some drivers can only go round and round and need a replacement driver when they go to a road course.
          97 Trans Am A4 more or less stock (Mods: WS6 Ram Air with Fernco & K&N, 12 disc CD changer, power antenna, SLP Fan Switch, LS1 Aluminum DS, Borla Cat back, McCord power plate, Spohn tower brace, Sirius, HID fog lights)

1and1 Web Hosting

Comment

I used to watch a lot of Nascar before it became a cookie cutter league several years ago.

The funny thing about this backlash against Toyota is that it doesn't matter. All the cars are the same. The templates are identical. Even the engines are pretty much similar. Just the sponsorship is different.

I miss the days when the Monte Carlo stock car looked like the Monte Carlo street car.
            SOLD: 2002 Trans Am WS.6 - Black on Black - 6 Speed
            SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
            17K Miles

2005 Acura TL - Silver on Black
            Navigation - Surround Audio - Bluetooth

Comment

Originally posted by Steel2686
              I used to watch a lot of Nascar before it became a cookie cutter league several years ago.

The funny thing about this backlash against Toyota is that it doesn't matter. All the cars are the same. The templates are identical. Even the engines are pretty much similar. Just the sponsorship is different.

I miss the days when the Monte Carlo stock car looked like the Monte Carlo street car.
              A BIG +1

I made that exact argument on this board last year and got hounded for it. (by kevin "fastta" no less )
              Greg W. in West Michigan
              1992 Formula WS6-A/R Rims, Stock L05 swap, Former Abuse Victim
              1983 Z28-Parts car- *Sold*
              1984 Z28-305 HO Auto *Sold*
              1986 Camaro-V-6 5Spd *Sold*
              1984 Camaro-V-6 Auto *Sold*
              <Motor out

Comment

+2

Originally posted by FroSSty
                A BIG +1

I made that exact argument on this board last year and got hounded for it. (by kevin "fastta" no less )
                +2
                Nascar is like WWF. Its fall will be great...
                Back when a Superbird looked like a Superbird for me. There will never be another David Pearson.
                As for Gibbs, dont sweat the Toyota gig. Look wot he has done to the Redskins...
                Mike, So. MD, USA
                1998 Camaro 3800 5m, Borla, Whisperlid/K&N, ProForm shortshift, 17" chrome SS wheels, poly bushings

Comment

This makes me even more glad to be "Nascar free". I'm glad I stopped watching years ago. I think it was way better in the 70's and 80's, before it became a huge synergistic marketing machine for all sorts of corporations, and before all the drivers were turned into polished politically correct talking heads (with a few well repremanded exceptions).

It seems like Nascar is nothing more than a licensce for the France family to print money, and I see nothing that GM, Ford, or Dodge is really gaining from this. Nobody seems to root for a "brand" anymore, only for a driver / personality.

I'm sorry to rag on Nascar so much, but I enjoyed it so much in the 70's and 80's that it really just upsets me now at what it's become. I guess it's the biggest thing going (for the moment) so they must be doing something right, so what do I know?

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff 97SS
                    This makes me even more glad to be "Nascar free". I'm glad I stopped watching years ago. I'm sorry to rag on Nascar so much, but I enjoyed it so much in the 70's and 80's that it really just upsets me now at what it's become. I guess it's the biggest thing going (for the moment) so they must be doing something right, so what do I know?
                    I got away from watching each Sunday. I enjoy the outdoors too much to be sitting in front of the TV for hours. Today I would rank myself as an "occasional fan", where years ago it was Sunday race, Monday morning race review.

In this part of the country if you want to see good racing, go to a local Friday or Saturday night dirt track. Competitive and aggressive drivers providing fun and cheap entertainment. The only Toyotas are in the parking lot
                    2001 Sunset Orange Metallic w/Tan interior WS6 Trans Am, 33k, M6, Borla, SLP lid
                    buttons in the ashtray and a bottle in the trunk Although I have yet to push it

SOLD: '97 Trans Am, 85k, LT1, A4, 3.23's, 98+ Taillights, SLP CAI, SLP Loud Mouth
                    Best of 13.810 @ 100.58 MPH. 2.093 60' See It Here

Comment

NASCAR money money money. It was good in the old days. But it is getting crappier buy the year.
                      Blazer

Comment

This was the Nascar I used to watch...

SOLD: 2002 Trans Am WS.6 - Black on Black - 6 Speed
                        SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
                        17K Miles

2005 Acura TL - Silver on Black
                        Navigation - Surround Audio - Bluetooth

Comment

Yep. Big money, driver worship, and Earnhart's bump move all killed NASCAR.
                          Mike, So. MD, USA
                          1998 Camaro 3800 5m, Borla, Whisperlid/K&N, ProForm shortshift, 17" chrome SS wheels, poly bushings

Comment

Originally posted by Steel2686
                            This was the Nascar I used to watch...

Those were the days, that's for sure.

I'm glad to see that Toyota finally has a well established race team to work with. They will definetely have success now.

The Craftsman Truck Series and Busch series is more fun to watch now. The COT looks awful and the series is getting boring. I hate the ricer wing on the COT cars as well. Manufacturers bodies don't matter anymore in Nextel Cup.

NASCAR is driving away it's loyal fans trying to please new comers. It will bite them in the ass later.

My ride is here: http://www.cardomain.com/id/1995RAMAIR

Comment

Can't really blame Gibbs at all. As a driver, and managing one's business affairs, your always looking for whom pays the most. In this case, Toyota put out the most $. It has nothing to do with brand loyalty whatsoever. Smart financial sense on Gibbs parts. If anything it shows he's an American, following the road to prosperity and the American dream.
                              Rhode Island Red *Lurker since 1997*

2002 Firehawk #0035/1503 !Cags | !Air | !PCV | Airborn-coated Kooks LT's | Powerbond UD Pulley | Custom Cam | Ported Oil pump | LS2 timing chain | Comp 918's | Hardened push rods | LSS | BMR STB | SLP Bolt-on SFC's | drill mod |TB Bypass | Ported TB | Custom Dyno tuning | 160* thermostat | LS7 Clutch
                              Ordered: May 1, 2001 Built: June 1, 2001 Delivered August 25, 2001
                              pics and info

Comment

Working...
                              X